Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many have "System Fault" message.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:01 PM
vann
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many have "System Fault" message.

Guy,

After fixing the system fault by replacing the solenoids, I got the same message again after washing my car. I just brought my car back to the dealer today. If any of you have the same problem, can you describe how the problem occurred and how you get it fixed? I am hopping that PAG can get the problem fixed because I love my car very much but if they cannot I would like to use this information to go to court with them. Thank you very much for helping me out.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:14 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

you have a pm.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Gk1
Intermediate

My car is also at the dealer today -- same problem. This is my second attempt, but they had to order parts. Basaed on excperiences of others, I'm not optimistic.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:55 PM
rnlarctic997
Rennlist Member

Ditto here--my 997 has been to the dealer twice now--they ordered the new trunk latch and solenoid assembly from Germany last week. Mine ' System Fault' came up two weeks ago after washing the car--the first trip to the dealer brought alot of head scratching on their part, even though I provided them with a copy of the thread from this forum identifying the problem. They sent me home having just 'reset' the computer...I told them that the next time I washed the car that the problem would recur...which it did...

Now, I too am pessimistic about a long term solution to this problem
Old 04-13-2005, 02:05 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rnlarctic997
Ditto here--my 997 has been to the dealer twice now--they ordered the new trunk latch and solenoid assembly from Germany last week. Mine ' System Fault' came up two weeks ago after washing the car--the first trip to the dealer brought alot of head scratching on their part, even though I provided them with a copy of the thread from this forum identifying the problem. They sent me home having just 'reset' the computer...I told them that the next time I washed the car that the problem would recur...which it did...

Now, I too am pessimistic about a long term solution to this problem

you have pm mlarctic
Old 03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
evmohn
AutoX

Hate to revive this very old thread, but I just experienced this issue after having my MY05 C2S professionally detailed (full paint correction). When I made the service appointment today the rep disavowed any knowledge of this being an issue. Is is documented in a TSB or elsewhere?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is a known issue with the MY05 cars, subsequently resolved in later year production. (Hence the reason I always avoid the first MY cars...)
Old 03-31-2008, 05:10 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the problem was with the front hood latch. Static electricty would trip the fault. As Dan stated it has been fixed. One of the first buyers of the 997, 'Skip', documented his long process with Porsche in getting his car replaced before the problem became known.....GR
Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 PM
evmohn
AutoX

Thanks guys -- I was hoping for something specific. Apparently this "known" problem isn't so well know that it is immediately recognized by the Porsche Service Mgr at Arlington Porsche. My appt is tomorrow and I was hoping by now a definitive answer to a problem that is at least two years old was documented somewhere. Appreciate the help!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

My hood latch was replaced even though I never had a problem. it was done 2 yrs. ago.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

It was an issue with using MF towels when dry and QD'ing your finish by the headlights that the static buildup will discharge and have an effect with the HID system as well as other systems within the area.

So far, never had this problem with this.

However, to be sure, around headlamps I use DF Towels as these do not build up static as does the poly MF towels which always do.

Static on MF can be benefical in removing dust as it gets attracted to the towel quite well in most cases and all you need to do after a pass is stand far enough away and give it a good snap to release the dirt/pollen, then return.

Once misted with a QD there is less chance of static to raise hell with electronics. To be safe, switch to 100% USA cotton towels or DF Towels which are very deep pile, soft as all hell and do not mar the finish at all. You'll have a hard time holding onto these towels as they glide over a finish when QD'ing.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 04-02-2008, 12:17 PM
evmohn
AutoX

Resolution: While the service rep denied any causal relationship between static electricity and the "System Fault - Visit Workshop" he did confirm that the Front Control Module often goes bad as was the case here. Part was in stock and in and out in 60 minutes.

I have my own theory about cause/effect but enough conjecture here already...
Old 04-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

I has this issue day 1 on my 06 Boxster when waxing it - static shorted out front control module.

Quick Reply: How many have "System Fault" message.