Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 03:54 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why they fail: My amateur guess.

I guess the reason it is so hard to fix is the journal diameter upon which the rubber seal's effective sealing depends, is, on these engines: huge. It is about 6 inches in diameter.

The velocity of oil spinning so far from center makes it very hard for the very large seal (that is maybe at the limits of what the rubber material can stand?) to contain all that energy; this might be the reason they fail.

I don't know why the oil seal journal on the Porsche crank is so big. Anybody know?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:21 PM
RCD
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Here's one for you. About a month ago I noticed the dreaded drops on the garage floor coming from my 2003 986S. Went under the car and sure enough it was weeping oil where the RMS leaks appear. Entered my private hell for a few days.

Here's the strange part: weeks later and I haven't seen anymore drops on the floor. I put a clean piece of newspaper there everytime I park the car after driving it and: no drips anymore!

Can anybody explain this? Ever hear of such a thing? I'm absolutely sure I observed what I describe above.
My independent mechanic told me that they have seen both Boxsters and 996s develop oil leaks, and then seemingly fix themselves with no further issues.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:29 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 922 Likes on 517 Posts

the seal probably expands with higher ambient temperatures and humidity - it could be a seasonal thing.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:41 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCD
My independent mechanic told me that they have seen both Boxsters and 996s develop oil leaks, and then seemingly fix themselves with no further issues.
That would be really cool if it's what's happening to my car. I'll post an update in a few weeks when I'm absolutely convinced the leak is gone.

I started thinking that maybe a tiny piece of gunk wedged itself in the seal for a week or so, produced the leak and then finally blew out or disintegrated.

If that's so, there's no reason alot of other guys, who develop a leak, can't have the same good fortune.

Everything we've said so far is probably gonna turn out to be bogus and I'll have an even larger puddle of oil down there soon.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
heck if they can engineer those fine cupholders you think they can fix RMS problem
There is an idea! An oil cup holder under the car. That would give you bragging rights over all the soccer moms.

Marv

Quick Reply: oil leak