Sponsored by:

Dealer add-ons . . clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Dealer add-ons . . clear bra

My car is arriving at the dealer this week. Talking to him today about arranging delivery he mentioned the business manager is going to give me a call to offer me many things I cannot refuse.

Anybody have any comments for or against the following:
- Clear film on nose? I'm undecided.
- Boomerang (similar to Lojack but in Canada). I have this on some equipment at work so I'm leaning towards getting it.
- Extended warranty? Car will be driven at most 10,000km a year since there is snow on the ground half of the time.

I know this is where car dealers hose a buyer big time so I'm worried about being taken.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- A clear bra is nice, but make sure you get the newer technology that won't yellow over time

also, the installer's ability can make the difference between an invisible layer of protection, or a horrible looking huge plastic bag stuck to your bumper.

- You should be wary of wiring anything aftermraket into the car, especially lowjack style, however, some countries require it. if its not required, i would suggest against it, unless you are paranoid or live in a high auto theft area (in which case you should reconsider your choice of autombile).

- Extended warranty is nice if you plan to keep the car a long time.

And I disagree with what you said, these arent the areas dealers hose customers.

by the time discussion of this is happening, they will have already bent you over on your trade in, or discount (or lack thereof), or both
Old 03-31-2005, 11:40 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I passed on all those things. Not that they aren't a good idea. Do some homework price wise to find out if you are getting a good deal on them. Call the guy and ask him what he is going to charge you beforehand Sounds like you will pretty much be babying the car so IMO you could get away without ordering those extras.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:17 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clear bra is good but dealer usually charges more. you can save a few hundred bucks if you have someone put it on afterwards. $600 usd is good, $1000 is avg dealer price. cover fender caps, hood, mirror, bumper. dealer's pkg also covers door sills, gas filler which is not worth it imo.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:10 AM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the fact that they inform you ahead of time, so that you can do some research like you do.

In H-town a bra is a must. So much roadconstruction going on.

Lo-jack: very dependent what you will do with the car. I park mine at home or on a privat parking lot, so decided that I don't need it.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

I think my deductable is going to be about $7500 (5% of total value incl. tax) I have some trucks and a forklift at work with the Boomerang tracking on it as well as the Vette. Diesel trucks, heavy equipment and high end cars have a habit of finding themselves in containers at the Port of Montreal less than 175km away. The car will normally be parked inside my alarmed garage at home while I'm at work - I live alone. On the street I'm generally fairly particular where I park. I figure you never know . . . especially with a deductable that high.

The clear bra thing is something I never really considered. My Vette doesn't have it and it has some pits in the nose but isn't that big of a deal. The car will never be a daily driver but I do plan on driving it a lot more than the Vette. When the clear bra is all pitted do you just peel it off and get a new one?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:34 PM
TheOldMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy Canuck,

I picked up my 997s earlier this week. I had the Boomerang 2 installed. The insurance companies gave me no choice. Every single one of them insisted that it be installed. The Porsche delear did the install and so far there have been no issues. All 997's being deliverd these days in the Montreal area are having them installed.

I would like to have a clear bra installed, but I have yet to find an excellent installer. The dealer was able to do it, but did not try to sell me on it, so I passed for now. Time will tell if it was the right thing to pass on.

Took a trip up to Ottawa this morning on the 417 before the rain. There were very few cars and no OPP which made for an interesting drive.

Good luck on your first drive home.

BTW, your advice helped me save some good $$.

Cheers,

Trending Topics

Old 04-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheOldMan
BTW, your advice helped me save some good $$.
I think I'm going to have the Boomerang 2 installed. Like I said I have it in other vehicles . . .

What did you like about my advice?

How do you like the S? What color/options did you end up getting?

I pick mine up on Saturday. It arrived either Thurs or Fri at the dealer. Woo Hoo!!! Can't wait.

Quick Reply: Dealer add-ons . . clear bra