Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 997S wouldnt start today, got it flatbedded to dealer!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:16 PM
AndrewSS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 997S wouldnt start today, got it flatbedded to dealer!!!!

So, seeings how here in Ohio the weather was about 70 degrees and sunny I thought that the 997S could use a few miles! I called my dad to get permission and went out to start it, nothing happens, not even the windows went down like they should to open/close the door.

So the battery is dead, after only sitting for 6 or 7 days! I call roadside assistance, they dispatch a guy over (he made it over in 20min!)

Since the porsche has no manual hood latch, we had to first take the fuse cover off (its by the pedals) give that fuse power, open the hood then power up the battery from the guys truck, after several tries we cant get the car started. We try his little generator too, that doesnt do it.

So we call in the flatbed and get it taken to the dealer for probably a new battery, also we are gonna finally get the rear right tail light fixed (wiring problem) and we need to check for the recall thing because we got that letter from PCNA.

Overall im really disapointed, it was a bueatiful day and it was really sad to see the 997S carted off on a flatbed

But, oh well im hoping to pick it up tomorrow.. depending on the recall deal i guess! I suppose I will keep you guys updated on that recall deal.

battery dead after a week or so... thats pretty sad

* i still love the car!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:39 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen, I left the key in the ignition and the battery got discharged and had to do the fuse box thing to open the electronic trunk latch. No big deal, kind of cool to pull out the post for it. Anyway, I try to jump start for 3-4 time, it would not turn over, the lights on the dash and warning chimes would turn on so I knew it had power, I was resigned to calling roadside assistance when I tried one more time, this time I used the key to lock then unlock the car while still hooked up to the jumper car, and sure enough it turned over. When you power up the car from dead, I guess it defaults to full system security and you need the key to unarm it. Makes sense, all a thief would have to do is disconnect the battery if this wasn't the case.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:54 PM
MMD
Banned

I hate to tell you this but, from what I read on net, the battery has probably lost a year or so of useful life. When they get fully discharged they build up insoluble salts (something like that) which inhibit the battery's ability to hold a full charge. Starter batteries only. Not deep cycle ones.

Keep an eye on it.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:08 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Batteries in Texas usually don't last longer than 3-4 years anyways. I'll keep an eye on it. Have you guys seen the battery, its gianormous!
Old 03-30-2005, 11:37 PM
AndrewSS
Advanced

thanks texas, thats good info... i should have tried that lock ulnock thing!
Old 03-31-2005, 02:57 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Andrew, could you elaborate upon the recall issue. What exactly is the issue that being examined?

Jay
Old 03-31-2005, 09:45 PM
AndrewSS
Advanced

im not positive, it has to do with a mishap machining something within the crankcase... i believe it can cause a leak or something, sounds a bit like RMS... but not quite, i dont think, because it has to do with machining problem.

Of course, someone else could explain it better

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better start keeping a trickle charger on it.

i've started plugging all my cars into trickle chargers if im not going to be using them for more than a week.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:13 PM
MMD
Banned

My wife's Acura greeted her first thing in the AM with a dead battery. She's not sure what she did, all we know is she left the key in the ignition. Funny, since the way things are done around here we would have noticed if she left any lights on. We never did find out why the thing went dead (dealer service was clueless). So I just assume leaving the key in the ignition (in ANY position?) is bad news for the battery.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you remove the key from the ignition, a good battery should last for 4 weeks or more idle in sub-freezing temps and the car will start normally. If not, either the battery is bad or you left some accessory on or you have a short. I store my car without a trickle charger in an unheated garage in the winter and start it once every 4 weeks or so. Just this week replaced the orignal battery (almost 7 years old) as a precaution.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:49 AM
AndrewSS
Advanced

well, i think we will get that porsche battery charger thing: http://www3.us.porsche.com/isapi/eng...9&kat=Car+Care

i hope this never happens again, what a HASSLE!

hopefully pickup will happen, depending on the recall issue >
Old 04-02-2005, 02:49 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Is your dad going to buy you a car of your own?
Old 04-02-2005, 03:23 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndrewSS
well, i think we will get that porsche battery charger thing: http://www3.us.porsche.com/isapi/eng...9&kat=Car+Care

i hope this never happens again, what a HASSLE!

hopefully pickup will happen, depending on the recall issue >
thats the chager for the cayenne only, and it runs around 130 bux the one you want is part# 980-611-981-00 and runs around 70-80 dollars at the dealership

Brandon

Quick Reply: The 997S wouldnt start today, got it flatbedded to dealer!!!!