Sponsored by:

997/987s affected by W545 service action

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 10:26 AM
AS05NOVA
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jboyko
As I had said in the past, do you think that you would be able to post what the service action said, or is there a web site where it could be found. I really do think that the vin # recall must be in error, due to the fact that my vin # was clean, but had the intermediate shaft fail, and the new engine RMS also fail.

So, nova do you think that 1 CNC machine was out of tolerance for a few hours,days weeks, or months. Could all of the machines been programed incorrectly? Could it have been a CAD engineering or design flaw (I'm a big advocate that true engineers have been replaced by graphic designer fools, that just know how to use a CAD)? Is it possible that Porsche is using different CNC makes or models to make the same part? Finally, if it was just a QC issue, then who was the jackass that was hiding in the bathroom, while both of my engines were being messed up.

jb
I have both the service action notification and the entire workshop service action bulletin, but not in electronic format. The latter is seven pages (or so) long, so it would be difficult to reproduce. Other than what I've already stated, there aren't really any additional details about why the problem occurred.

Any discussion about what truly happened in terms of the machining error is speculation: the number of incorrectly programmed CNC machines, how long the production error occurred, and whether it was a programing error or basic engineering flaw. I doubt it was a design flaw, because this happened after many other 997/987s crankcases were already produced correctly. Instead, I think that one day, someone incorrectly programmed a CNC cutting machine, and the recesses were cut 1 mm too deeply.

It is apparent to me that even Porsche doesn't know how many VINs were actually affected, and hence the list of possible affected VINs, some of which turned out to be unaffected.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:23 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They probably used an outside source for them and got a bad batch. I posted this before but when there for a factory tour I saw "Merceded Benz" stamped on the tranny's. Maybe they made them and F'd them up.....it's hard to say.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:31 AM
AndrewSS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, my (dads) 997S was listed as a VIN potentially affected, but the dealer did a check of the engine earlier today, and said that it was fine. Its back home now - I sure hope they are right
Old 04-02-2005, 03:49 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AS05NOVA
I have both the service action notification and the entire workshop service action bulletin, but not in electronic format. The latter is seven pages (or so) long, so it would be difficult to reproduce. Other than what I've already stated, there aren't really any additional details about why the problem occurred.

Any discussion about what truly happened in terms of the machining error is speculation: the number of incorrectly programmed CNC machines, how long the production error occurred, and whether it was a programing error or basic engineering flaw. I doubt it was a design flaw, because this happened after many other 997/987s crankcases were already produced correctly. Instead, I think that one day, someone incorrectly programmed a CNC cutting machine, and the recesses were cut 1 mm too deeply.

It is apparent to me that even Porsche doesn't know how many VINs were actually affected, and hence the list of possible affected VINs, some of which turned out to be unaffected.
Somewhere in some Porsche office building there is a Quality Control guy who is poppin' Tagamet like party mints and freakin' like "Bill the Cat" everytime the phone rings. Poor bastard.

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 04-02-2005 at 12:39 PM. Reason: prettiness
Old 04-02-2005, 12:46 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It was discussed on this forum a couple months ago when it was realized a recall existed on the 987/997. However, it only affects a couple hundred cars, which IS insignificant in the whole scheme of things.
Funny, back in the day a "couple hundred cars" was significant to Porsche as that's all there were. Hell, there are fewer than 400 of my car in the U.S. total. Porsche has definitely taken on a mass production mentality and it shows in their product quality and customer service it would appear.

Quick Reply: 997/987s affected by W545 service action