Sponsored by:

911 (997) handling fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 02:00 AM
FredGarvin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 (997) handling fault

I've always loved the 911, but somehow never seemed to be able to talk myself into buying one. However, when the 997 came out I could no longer resist. The overall package seemed as close to automotive nirvana as could be had at any price. After 4000 miles I have to say I do love the car, but with two very important reservations:

1) The car has a very uncomfortable lateral heave if you hit a bump in a sweeping turn at speed. It's almost as if you have a heavy unsecure load at the rear of the car that shifted in the turn and upset the cars balance. Am I the only one who feels this? I've not read about this anywhere. Something wrong with my car, perhaps?

2) The car feels very nervous at speeds over 120 mph on anything but a glass-smooth road. If there is a strong crosswind or if the road is a bit rough the car scares the you know what out of me. The front end of the car feels too lite and requires constant attention. By contrast, I can drive my m5 at that speed all day with one finger. Again, is my car ok? Should I have it checked out or is this just how a Porsche handles at speed?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-30-2005, 02:24 AM
mds
Pro

Fred, have the car's wheel alignment checked. Porsches are sometimes delivered with marginal or even out of spec alignment. Also check tire condition and tire pressures. However, there is a natural stability versus responsiveness tradeoff, at least there is with my car.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

1) The car has a very uncomfortable lateral heave if you hit a bump in a sweeping turn at speed.
_________
if you are talking about lateral lean, yes, most oem suspension are too soft.
if you are talking about lateral movement as in slight sliding when hitting bumps and your car isn't lowered (no bump steer issues) that seems natural for 911's (slight twitchiness compard to bimmers). just maintain throttle and don't lift.

The front end of the car feels too lite and requires constant attention. By contrast, I can drive my m5 at that speed all day with one finger.

all above assume you have the car correctly aligned.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:47 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fred,
The BMW M5 is a heavier car.
Were you on a race track doing "over 120 mph"....Porsches have a built in guidence system for those execeeding the speed limit on public roads!......of course you would never ENDANGER the public with excessive speed....would you?
oh wait...I just read further....you "drive your M5 at or above the 120 mph with one finger"...
oh crap....I just re read your stuoopid comments@!......" If there is a strong crosswind or if the road is a bit rough the car scares the you know what out of me. The front end of the car feels too lite and requires constant attention".........NO KIDDING>>>>>DIP ****>>>>>>.the porsche engine is behind the rear wheels.....did you know that? that might explain why the front end feels a little light!!!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 02:52 AM
Moogle
Race Car

aww Fill, take it easy on the guy...

as for his question, yes, it is normal for the car to feel upset if it hits a bump during a turn, thats called a real suspension. not like what you may be used to in the limos.

while the M5 is 'sporty' it is far from a 911 in terms of being a drivers' car in the sense that a porsche is.

most people find the extra feedback from the wheel comforting. frankly the numbness from most modern mercedes / BMWs are just giving the driver a false sense of confidence.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:55 AM
jboyko
Intermediate

I think that this dude is right. This car does dance and plow around a lot. It really reminds me of $ 2000 a day, open-wheel amateur car, going over checkered curbs. Cool on the track, but not on the turnpike with a truck next to you.

jb
Old 03-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jboyko
I think that this dude is right. This car does dance and plow around a lot. It really reminds me of $ 2000 a day, open-wheel amateur car, going over checkered curbs. Cool on the track, but not on the turnpike with a truck next to you.

jb
WTF?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:25 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I think my 997 is in need of alignment and lowering like my old 996. My 996 felt much more planted and the trade of is a rougher ride everyday.

My 996 did feel twitchy on bumps at speed as the 997 does not.

To each his own.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

You should ask your dealer to let you try another 997 for comparison, and ask them to drive yours, just to make sure. If there's an alignment problem I'm sure they will help you fix it.

OTOH what you're describing sounds like the characteristics of a 911, due to all the weight being out beyond the back axle line, and conversly with no weight over the front wheels a twitchiness at high speeds with cross winds.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:43 AM
titleist1
Racer

Fred, you are not alone. More and more people are going to notice this "Movement" as time goes on. I have owned 7 previous Porsches and none of them reacted this way. It can be quite unnerving when the rear does this, however i have only had this happen under high speed.It is the only negitive i have had so far, it will be interesting to see if Porsche addresses this issue.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:14 PM
FredGarvin
Track Day

Thanks guys... I thought it was just me... Cars at this level should inspire confidence at speed. This one does not. Porsche has a real problem here....
Old 03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
AndrewSS
Advanced

i think i know what you mean, in sweeping bends, if there is a little bump in the road, the 997s seems to feel a bit weird when that happens, i dont know if its merely a consequence of the "racey" attributes of teh 997s's suspension, or just a 911 attribute (engine in the rear, no weight on front axel)

i cant really recall noticing that feeling in the boxster S.. so possibly its a 911 thing, i dont know
Old 03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I've posted on this before. The bushing on the rear suspension is too soft in the "Left - Right" axis. It feels as if the side wall of the outer tire in a corner is rolling under the rim. 993's used to have it to a degree, but Porsche dialled it out on the 996. I'm not sure why they changed it, but you can feel it as a lurch in a corner, almost as if the bushing "gives", and i'm specifically saying that's very different from tire slip.

Has anyone tracking their 997 noticed this?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:18 PM
PV
Pro

Fred, I have 4000 miles to on mine.

I have similar experience with as remark that I don't have the feeling that the car is nervous, it is a car with a shorter wheelbase. I had to adjust myself to the steering response compared to other cars I drove. Frankly, I'm still learning and like that aspect of it.

The lateral one is something I was surprised about the first times it happened, but also here it is OK. Just keep you line and don't overreact and you will see that the car is more stable than you originally thought.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:21 PM
AndrewSS
Advanced

Originally Posted by FredGarvin
Thanks guys... I thought it was just me... Cars at this level should inspire confidence at speed. This one does not. Porsche has a real problem here....
consider (if you have sportchrono) turning off the system, that could lessen that feeling, this is a guess of course.

Also, dont get discouraged, it seems like everyone has praised the 997 for being an incredibly nimble car... a great confidence inspiring car, most all in the press have mentioned the very stable and solid feel of the 997...

Quick Reply: 911 (997) handling fault