911 (997) handling fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FredGarvin
Thanks guys... I thought it was just me... Cars at this level should inspire confidence at speed. This one does not. Porsche has a real problem here....
I so completely disagree with this statement. Before you rush to judgement make sure your car doesn't have an alignment problem or tire pressure problem. Also keep iin mind what others have said, there is a learning curve with the 911, it's not plush.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:38 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I feel with the car is not what you describe, it is more what Fred is explaining.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:40 PM
PV
Pro

Yep
Old 03-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Atlas.
Intermediate

I've noticed the same thing on my S. On long sweeping bends, the rear end feels a bit loose on the road, almost as if there is no downforce on the spoiler. The steering meanwhile is really fidgety and wriggles in my hands (a trait that many miss!). I was driving the car last weekend and it seemed to be more noticable. I am however putting it down to (as Riad says), the learning curve of driving a 911 and also that each time I'm driving the car, I'm giving it a little bit more and therefore exploring limits that I have never experienced before in other cars.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:14 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlas
I've noticed the same thing on my S. On long sweeping bends, the rear end feels a bit loose on the road, almost as if there is no downforce on the spoiler. The steering meanwhile is really fidgety and wriggles in my hands (a trait that many miss!). I was driving the car last weekend and it seemed to be more noticable. I am however putting it down to (as Riad says), the learning curve of driving a 911 and also that each time I'm driving the car, I'm giving it a little bit more and therefore exploring limits that I have never experienced before in other cars.
I'm in the group that has experienced what Fred is describing BUT I do not think it is a problem, I think those are some of the unique characteristics of one of the world's best sports cars.

Since my first, "Holy ****!" moment in the 911 I have read how to drive her the way she needs to be driven and it has worked. Getting better is why I've been looking forward to upcoming PDE classes to further accelerate the learning curve. This is one of the beautiful things about a 911... it is not easy to drive a 911 well and only a small group of drivers can drive a 911 very fast and very well. Personally, I like the challenge of getting better and making her submit to my will. One of us will win, and it won't be her.

Anybody play guitar? I think a 911 is a Fender Strat with razor sharp single coils... everything else is a Les Paul with distorted humbuckers. Which is easier to play LOUD?

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 03-30-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:40 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

As has been said by others, CHECK THE ALIGNMENT, my GT3 as delivered had toe out on the left rear, and on sweepers was a handfull, sort of made hops. As for the steering, it is supposed to be responsive and quick. I would never drive with one
hand as this is a serious performance vehicle which requires your full and undivided attention at all times.

Peter
Old 03-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Anybody play guitar? I think a 911 is a Fender Strat with razor sharp single coils... everything else is a Les Paul with distorted humbuckers. Which is easier to play LOUD?
Interesting comparison. I had a session not too long ago and the guitar player asked to use my SRV Strat (the strings are like bass strings, .13, .16, .19, .28., .38., 56) and I told him you don't just play a Strat, it's like riding a bronco!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would seem like most of this can be attributed to the mass in the rear and resulting lightness and slight porpoiseing up front. If alignment is fine and tire pressure correct then I think that as with all good drivers you can work with these characteristics and make the car work for you.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:31 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

Default 200+ kph is normal

Phill,

Are you retarded? Or do you think that Porsche, a German company, only built their cars for USA highways?

There are no speed limits on the autobahn. So check yourself before you start calling someone a dip ****. Oops I just read your stoopid comments.

In certain parts of europe, driving at 200+ kph (use a calculator to figure that out) is not excessive or dangerous.

Originally Posted by Fill
Fred,
The BMW M5 is a heavier car.
Were you on a race track doing "over 120 mph"....Porsches have a built in guidence system for those execeeding the speed limit on public roads!......of course you would never ENDANGER the public with excessive speed....would you?
oh wait...I just read further....you "drive your M5 at or above the 120 mph with one finger"...
oh crap....I just re read your stuoopid comments@!......" If there is a strong crosswind or if the road is a bit rough the car scares the you know what out of me. The front end of the car feels too lite and requires constant attention".........NO KIDDING>>>>>DIP ****>>>>>>.the porsche engine is behind the rear wheels.....did you know that? that might explain why the front end feels a little light!!!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by riad
Interesting comparison. I had a session not too long ago and the guitar player asked to use my SRV Strat (the strings are like bass strings, .13, .16, .19, .28., .38., 56) and I told him you don't just play a Strat, it's like riding a bronco!
Good example! That would be the GT3 RSR of Strats. No PSM. No airbags. No net.

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 03-30-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:38 PM
jcm
Intermediate

Thanks guys... I thought it was just me... Cars at this level should inspire confidence at speed. This one does not. Porsche has a real problem here....
Learn how to drive it, you will achieve cornering speeds that are just incredible. And as for feeling light at 120, I have not experienced this at 140. The nose actually tucks at speed and feels more planted.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:44 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Exactly, learn how to drive it, it really makes a difference!
Old 04-04-2005, 01:31 AM
FredGarvin
Track Day

Funny: Automobile magazine just tested the 997s and voiced concern about this very handling issue... Guess they better "learn how to drive", right?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know what you're talking about Fred, mine is rock steady at speed (155mph so far-on a track). A 911 is not a m3/5 sedan and there IS a learning curve in driving these cars at speed. I would highly suggest you sign up for the PDE. My 996 is the BEST handling, fastest, most reliable car I've ever owned.
Have your dealer check out the car. I saw where a 997 was shipped and delivered to the customer with the shipping blocks still btwn the coilsprings, made for a crappy ride at speed.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:11 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Funny: Automobile magazine just tested the 997s and voiced concern about this very handling issue... Guess they better "learn how to drive", right?
Fred, did you notice the handling issue before or after you drove the magazine?

You Troll.

Quick Reply: 911 (997) handling fault