Old 04-04-2005, 02:19 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 04-04-2005, 07:48 AM
DonneyJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too many forum members are very quick to have a go at anyone who even slightly criticises Porsche cars...remember it's criticism /user feedback that has enabled the Porsche 911 to evolve into the car it is today.

DonnyJ
Old 04-04-2005, 08:02 AM
greyghost
Instructor

I too experienced this problem on my 996C2 and current Turbo. I have been through X74, PSS9s, and now JIC CROSS and whereas the problem has been greatly reduced, it still remains. Another factor in my current car is HP. I have a bit over 600 now and if you are in a sweeper or turn and blip the throttle too hard it may bite you in the ***.

The car does still tend to skip in sweepers but you have to play the throttle right. The car also wander slightly at higher speeds too but I think it is the nature of the beast. No way a front engine car will handle the same as a rer engine car but once you tame the beast with a better suspenson package and some enhanced driving skill you will far surpass the abilities of the M5!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:24 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

FWIW, a friend of mine just took part in a test for a German car magazine comparing four cars, including the 997 and M5. He got to drive both for 2 hours on the autobahn and told me that the M5 felt a lot more stable at 250kph (155mph) than the 997. He still preferred the 997 overall. I don't know whether the issue is one of alignment or suspension or aerodynamics.

I wouldn't go so far as to label it a "fault". Every car has its own character and limits.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

Both Automobile and Excellence commented on the lateral heave of the 997. Excellence stated that the movement does not affect traction, but it does erode driver confidence. The context of the statement was that the 997 was improved in every way over the 996 except this characteristic, which they considered an unwelcome return from the 993.

I've only two hours in a 997S in back country roads so I cannot comment personally.

I believe the mags attributed the body movement to compliance in the rear bushings as others have stated.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:21 PM
titleist1
Racer

Frayed, thanks for the info, nice to have people contribute to the board and not Bash people they have not even seen drive.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:24 PM
FredGarvin
Track Day

Yes.... Very helpful... Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

It's funny that this post appeared, since I have been noticing this quite often.
It feels as if the back tires are slipping or sliding laterally. I thought at first it was the tire pressure and the alignment, but it all checked out when I brought it to the dealer for inspection.

In saying that, I do agree that it's very important to learn to drive these cars. These are incredible machines capable of incredible responsiveness at high speeds. By the way any articles on the proper way to drive 911's?.

I have enclosed an article taken from a Reenteam editor. This is his take on the lateral movement.
Porsche 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis option
#45067 - Sat Aug 14 2004 09:03 PM

" Lateral body roll is also strongly reduced by this sport suspension, if not even completely absent and it almost feels like you are driving a kart. The reaction to steering inputs is remarkably good and direct, for some people it might even be dangerous because at very high speeds, the 997 Carrera S with the 20 mm suspension options reacts very crisp and razor sharp to even the slightest movement of the steering wheel. Being fast in the 997 Carrera S seems to be easy but trust me, you didn’t try hard enough to be real fast. It makes a difference if you test-drive this car only 100 km or 300 km and more. You get less cautious and more courageous as time passes by, especially when you learn what this little baby can do.
I tried several times to get the car to drift, but only a slight lateral movement of the rear wheels was noticed, and the PSM did not even bother to react, the PSM light remained dark.
Maybe the missing reaction from the PSM was due to the fact that the test car was equipped with the optional Chrono Sport Package and I used the sport setting for almost the entire test. But more on the Chrono Sport Package later on. ".
Old 04-04-2005, 05:32 PM
frayed
Race Car

As an aside, it's a shame the -20mm sport option, complete with LSD, has not been made available here in the US. I even wrote a letter to PCNA to inquire last year; no response.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:54 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Fred: Since your original post , I have been trying to recreate or experience the roll you described. I'm driving a non-S 997 with stock Michelin tires. My impression so far is that the 997 chasis can far out perform the Michelin tires. The only "mishandling" I can perceive is a tire rolling sensation, perhaps the same thing described by "wormdoggy" (what's that all about?). Can't wait to upgrade to more performance oriented tire in the future. Continue to be amazed by how tight the 997 chasis is, particularly when compared to my 993 (track) or my ex pss9 equipped 996.
Thanks
Jack

Last edited by pedsurg; 04-10-2005 at 06:02 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 04-10-2005, 04:58 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Fred, did you notice the handling issue before or after you drove the magazine?
You Troll.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:31 PM
frayed
Race Car

You mean the PS2's? It'll take R comps to outcorner them.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:53 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FredGarvin
1) The car has a very uncomfortable lateral heave if you hit a bump in a sweeping turn at speed. It's almost as if you have a heavy unsecure load at the rear of the car that shifted in the turn and upset the cars balance. Am I the only one who feels this? I've not read about this anywhere. Something wrong with my car, perhaps?....
Fred, I felt the same thing - it is not lateral sliding - it is a weird rear end suspension movement (rear steering?) and feeling. I posted about it here: thread

None of my 996's had this feeling. It may feel weird, but it might actually benefit cornering traction.

Re: the light front feel - that is typical 911. There isn't a lot of weight over the front. Further, the rear end is like a pendulum, which you can control with throttle.

Quick Reply: 911 (997) handling fault