Sponsored by:

3rd test drive of 997S

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 3rd test drive of 997S

I've driven the 997S on three separate occasions. First, on the day it arrived at dealer showroom, then on two other occasions because two of my friends are buying one. I've had 02 C2, and currently have 04 GT3. On all three test drives the car felt like it had too much lateral movement in the back. even compared to my old 02 C2. I would like to buy a 997 as my daily use car but did not like this floaty/vague feeling. Is this the PASM feeling? I tried all possible settings. I'm interested in the M030 suspension I'm hearing about that drops car an additional 20mm over the sport setting in PASM. The dealership has no knowledge of this suspension. Does such a suspension exist? I was hoping some of you rennlisters have an answer. Does the standard 997 without PASM feel this way, I'm going to try to drive one. I liked everything else about the 997S FWIW.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try one without PASM and the -20mm

i was also never a fan of electronic gimmicks controlling the suspension/etc
Old 03-24-2005, 01:27 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't feel like it was floaty at all, quite the opposite, actually, but I don't have a GT3 to compare it with.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:44 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Some of what you are feeling may be due to new tires, and them not being scrubbed-in, so to speak.. Maybe a shot in the dark, I dont know??
Old 03-24-2005, 02:05 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I have a 997 and will be putting springs to lower it. It does feel even more that way than the S with PASM....It is very nice on a long drive though as is....Just hate the look!
Old 03-24-2005, 04:22 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Does such a suspension exist? I was hoping some of you rennlisters have an answer.
An M030-type sport suspension that's lower by 20mm and without PASM is a no-cost option on the 997S in markets outside of the US. Hopefully it will make it here at some point in some form (probably not as low, as US M030 suspension options historically haven't been).
Old 03-24-2005, 07:54 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
On all three test drives the car felt like it had too much lateral movement in the back. even compared to my old 02 C2. I would like to buy a 997 as my daily use car but did not like this floaty/vague feeling. Is this the PASM feeling? I tried all possible settings.
I had an '02C2 I now have an "S".
Yesterday I was driving an '05 997 with PASM at PDE at Barber Motorsports Park doing considerably higher speeds than you would on a public road thru various corners.
The new '05 cars are leaps and bounds ahead of the 996 version of which I came from. The PSM has a broader threshold as well.
No floaty vague feeling felt by me, just simply planted!

What on earth are you talking about?
And what kind of test drive circuit would allow you to acheive this conclusion?
Granted it is no GT3, but no slouch either... why would you want to switch anyway.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Riz
I'm interested in the M030 suspension I'm hearing about that drops car an additional 20mm over the sport setting in PASM. The dealership has no knowledge of this suspension. Does such a suspension exist? I was hoping some of you rennlisters have an answer.
There is no M030 for the 997/997S. There is a -20mm sport suspension option for the type 997 that also comes with a rear limited slip differential, its called the P17. Its a bigger performance upgrade than the previous gen's M030 sport suspension.

It drops the car -20mm with respect to the standard 997base suspension, so thats -10mm further than PASM since the PASM already drops -10mm with respect to the stadard 997 suspension (PASM is always -10mm, wether in sport mode or normal mode, ride height does not change with the 997's PASM setting, unlike the Cayenne's pneumatic PASM which is different).

Unfortunately, to this date, its only available RoW cars and there is no info on when it will be available in US or if it ever will be. Retrofit to a PASM 997 is not possible either.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:39 AM
PV
Pro

Admit, I don't have GT3 experience.

I'm driving a 997 without the PASM. It is not floaty and indeeded planted like schvetkaaks and MJones are mentioning too. I'm still learning how to drive the car more to its limits, but I can tell you it is not floating or so. So, maybe it is indeed the PASM.

Drive one without PASM and tell us what your experience is.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

The issue with what you're feeling is down to the kinematics of the rear suspension bushing. It has nothing to do with PASM and is present on all 997's. Essentially the bushings are too soft laterally.

What you may be feeling is almost as if a rear tire under increasing load begins to suddenly roll over - i.e the sidewall begins to flex and you feel the car shift sideways at the rear. It can also feel a little like tramlining at the rear. It's even more apparent when the car is in transition - slalom or S bends. It's not a big deal for most people and under constant load you won't feel it. Porsche should still fix it in the future (06? 07?) but who knows if they will...

In your position I would wait for the 997GT3 and not bother about an S.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Moogle: can't find one with -20 suspension.
Alan: thanks, I'll try to find out from european Porsche sites
MJones: I'm not replacing my GT3, the 997 will be an additional car. There is a great test drive circuit near my office where I have driven all my cars as well as all test drives. It is a good 5 miles in one direction, I go around it in both directions, it combines some highway, great off ramps, S turns, high speed sweeper, decreasing radius turn with some bumps, a lot of elevation changes thrown in - a lot of fun!
Carlos: thanks a lot, where can I find specs on the P17 you are talking about. I need this suspension before I buy any 997.
PV: thanks, I'll try to get a drive in a regular 997 without PASM. The P17 Carlos mentioned hopefully becomes available in the US.
Thanks to all
Old 03-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Riz
Carlos: thanks a lot, where can I find specs on the P17 you are talking about. I need this suspension before I buy any 997.
Riz, I have my doubts that it will ever make it to US. Since the 997S only comes in PASM version in US and since you can't retrofit it to a PASM ca r(electronics of the PASM are hooked up to the car's brain, the LSD that has to be made compatible with the PSM setup, etc.) you won't be able to import the P17 and install it in your 997S either. For now, with the 997S in the US, its either PASM or nothing. An alternative option would be to get a base 997 with the standard suspension and install a Bilstein PSS9 coilover kit. But you don't get the 3.8L engine nor the Turbo brakes for example.

P17 includes: shorter and firmer springs at front and rear (20 mm lower than standard 911 Carrera), new anti-roll bars with greater torsional strength, and firmer damper settings. Also included is a mechanically locking rear differential offering greater levels of traction on poor road surfaces or when exiting hairpin bends.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:19 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

What is the problem ith a GT3 as a daily driver?
To me your wasting your money on the 997.
Get one or the other but not both.
Unless you need to be 4x4-ing why would you need the 997? Especially if you are going to want to lower it?
Buy an SUV instead and forget the 997.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

RR: The 997 is not even close to being as low as a GT3. I need a rear seat. I hate driving trucks everyday. My wife drives the BMW 4.8is. I've had a Cayenne S for about 6 months and got rid of it - nothing but problems, see Cayenne forum. Should I waste my money on a BMW 6 series, Mercedes or something else, I'll rather get some sort of 997.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

"I would like to buy a 997 as my daily use car"

I'm still not sure whether this is in ADDITION to your GT3 or INSTEAD of your GT3. It would make life a lot easier to answer if we knew...

Quick Reply: 3rd test drive of 997S