Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 maintenance changes, what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 maintenance changes, what's the deal?

While I'm waiting for my car, I spend some time reading the brochure, over and over and overr<g>
oil changes now every 20 K, from 12k. air filter every 40 k from 24 K
spark plugs now 60 K from 48 K.
I'm not aware of any breakthroughs in oil, air filter elments, or spark plug technology in the last year or two.
can anyone explain how this all got better ?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:34 PM
MMD
Banned

Doesn't matter, we just do what they recommend.

Car has a new sparkplug design, four ground type, with a gap that doesn't degrade. Will last 60K OR four years whichever comes first.

Air filter? Engine will probably work just fine with a dirty filter and will adjust itself accordingly and the driver will have to notice that power has dropped before fuel consumption has increased. OR a there will be a fault indication because the filter is dirty because of YOUR unusual conditions.

I seem to remember that the serpentine belt has done so well on the 996 that they no longer recommend the replacement at 40K. So what if YOURS is the one which breaks at 41K? There's alot of others that still work.

As for the oil? It lasts forever because it's synthetic, but I bet there's all sorts of disclaimers like, "every 60,000 miles or one year whichever comes first."

Statistics, new materials/designs, and doublespeak all make it possible.

Stuff like that makes everything seem like less work/maint.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:41 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The primary reason for the decrease in frequency in changing oil and filters is due to pressure by the EPA and other eviroinmental agencies to decrease adding pollutants to the earth. In reality, there is no difference between the 996 and 997 requirements for changes of these items. Whatever was necessary for the 996 is necessary for the 997. IMO- only a fool would wait 20,000 miles to change the oil or 40,000 miles for an air filter. Plugs are a different story and depend more on how you drive the car and quality of fuel you use, but 60,000 miles should be easy to get out of each plug set for the average driver.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:23 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget, you still need to change the oil every 2 years regardless of mileage. I'm changing mine right after break in. At 2000 miles.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:44 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Part of the service interval increase is marketing by Porsche...lower costs of ownership thru increased service intervals
Old 03-20-2005, 09:13 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep in mind that oil quality continues to improve which extends interval.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, but I still believe the limiting factor is the oil filter. The oil may last, but the filter's efficiency won't.
Change the oil often!
Old 03-20-2005, 10:05 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was 15k for oil and air filters, and 60k for plugs and the belt on the 996 too (02 and later). So really, what changed?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:16 PM
PV
Pro

Why is the maintenance around the spark plug a different story? To my knowledge (which is of course very limited), the spark plugs, the environment the spark plug operates in and the electronics (timing, power, voltage, control) is significantly improved over the years, with as result a longer time between repairs and better consistency over a longer period.

I see the same story line for the oil. In general in this part of the world people are changing more often. I can see the benefits of an earlier oil change when just broken in, however, the motor is better designed, better materials, oil specifications are better with better additives, etc. Why can that not result in a longer time between changes?

I was surprised too when I saw the service time intervals. I'm considering a first oil change at a shorter mileage, but need to talk to an experienced technician first. Like to hear what he says.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:25 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PV
Why is the maintenance around the spark plug a different story? To my knowledge (which is of course very limited), the spark plugs, the environment the spark plug operates in and the electronics (timing, power, voltage, control) is significantly improved over the years, with as result a longer time between repairs and better consistency over a longer period.

I see the same story line for the oil. In general in this part of the world people are changing more often. I can see the benefits of an earlier oil change when just broken in, however, the motor is better designed, better materials, oil specifications are better with better additives, etc. Why can that not result in a longer time between changes?

I was surprised too when I saw the service time intervals. I'm considering a first oil change at a shorter mileage, but need to talk to an experienced technician first. Like to hear what he says.
The primary reason to change the oil frequently is because of dirt and debris that accumulates. The spark plugs...primarily becasue of the unleaded fuel we use as well as the improvement in materials 20 years ago, can last much longer than ever before. I have a 94 honda accord with 125,000 miles on the clock and still the orginal plugs. Bad plugs will alert you when they start going bad....dirty oil may not. If you could control the amount of dust and dirt in the air where you drive the car, you could change your oil less frequently.

The use of unleaded fuel has also added to the life of exhaust systems.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:25 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just changed my Cayenne S's oil and filters at 5000 miles. I let the manual tell me how to program the clock, I change the oil and filters on the "what's very best for the motor" schedule. And in truth I thought 5000 miles was pushing it. The Carrera S is getting the treatment at 4000 miles.

The supplies are cheap, the protection is priceless.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:34 PM
PV
Pro

Agree with that spark plug story.

To my opinion the same story holds for the oil: better environment, better technology, better oil, so longer periods/distance. I'm not sure what the recommended period/milage for a 996 is.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:01 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by PV
Why is the maintenance around the spark plug a different story? .
According to technical publication (I don't have its part number with me), plugs on the 997 ARE different from previous cars; they are apparently designed for more longevity.

They are called "four ground" type and have a gap which won't quit.

At least the plugs are a design/engineering difference to equate into the otherwise occult new maintainence schedule.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Oil/Filter changed at 2005 miles, will happen every 5000 miles from this point on. Air Filter will get visual inspection at 10K, all else per manual / schedule unless warrented.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

sounds to me like most of these changes are marketing hype, to show low cost of ownership
how else can we explain how a 996 sitting on the showroom floor next to a 997, with the same oil, the same type airfilter, and lasts years spark plugs can have such increased service life.
we are not talking 20 years of advancements...just 6 months

Quick Reply: 997 maintenance changes, what's the deal?