Sponsored by:

The perfect 997S

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:10 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The perfect 997S

I would like to suggest several low cost improvements to make the 997S a perfect car.

One should be able to turn off the radio and have the screen on for the trip information.
The visors should be larger because of the lower seats.
The rear end of the car gets nasty with dirt. Should the exhaust pipes stick out further?
The Chrono should be an option with out the wart.
Floor mats should be standard.
The car should check the oil level when you top off fuel. It is hard to remember to do it.
Admit that the car is faster than the literature states.

Post your suggestions, someone might be looking at this site.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Was driving mine today on back roads in "Sport" mode, 45 degrees and sunny. I think that it should run more like a "raped ape", because right now she goes like a "scalded cat"! I found that you CAN drift the *** end around with PSM on!

Wouldn't change a thing except a molded dash to encapsulate the "wart" instead of having it look like an aftermarket mini-tach.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
I would like to suggest several low cost improvements to make the 997S a perfect car.
I think this kinda post is a good thing!

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
One should be able to turn off the radio and have the screen on for the trip information.
The visors should be larger because of the lower seats.
The rear end of the car gets nasty with dirt. Should the exhaust pipes stick out further?
The Chrono should be an option with out the wart.
Floor mats should be standard.
The car should check the oil level when you top off fuel. It is hard to remember to do it.
Admit that the car is faster than the literature states..
Don't know about these issues on the 997 specifically, since I don't have mine yet, but:

The visors should be larger because of the lower seats. (a No-Brainer)

The rear end of the car gets nasty with dirt. Should the exhaust pipes stick out further? (after a chemical analysis of the "dirt" on the back of my 911, most of it is rubber!, If what your seeing is really dirt you've waited too long to wash it! pipes are not going to keep the "dirt" off unless your air filter has been removed in which case you have bigger problems to worry about )

The Chrono should be an option with out the wart. ( I hope I'll get used to it!)

Floor mats should be standard. (Only if I get my choice in colors)

The car should check the oil level when you top off fuel. It is hard to remember to do it. (car should have accurate gauge to check when I want, or put a dipstick in it!)

Admit that the car is faster than the literature states. (nah, that way I can lie to my friends and tell them mine has mods)

Someone serious please continue to post suggestions!

Old 03-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Put the 996 full leather hub/steering wheel back in...the new ones look like they came out of a Mini Cooper.

Tie the interior lines in a way that they make sense and are pleasing to the eye. Way too choppy and way too busy center console.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-16-2005, 06:04 PM
MMD
Banned

Default Get RID of the ugly messy buttons and display junk!!!

Meke it an option to get rid of that video screen and all the buttons for people who do not want navigation.

IOW, make the dash CLEAN AND SIMPLE like the earliest 911s. Get rid of the center console completely. Put climate and radio in dash just like can be done in the 996 and 986 by eliminating the stupid CD holder and eyeglasses cubby hole.

I want a sports car NOT a fricking SUV or cop patrol car with computers and communications equipment in my face all the time.

Lose that stuuuupid wart! Nobody uses it and it looks like aftermarket junk.

The interior is so messed up and cluttered with the junky buttons and computer gear in the center console, I almost don't want the car.

Oh, and get rid of the fake quads on the S; absurd-looking needless fake trim.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:15 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are my suggestions.

Make the sunvisors in matching suede (Alcantara) like on the Cayenne.
I don't mind the "wart" but make it a clock when not in use. I love the giant clock on the 993.
Make the steering wheel smaller and thicker. Thicker on the verticle plane not horizontal. Even my company's Ford Focus steering is nicer than my 997's.

Have an dedicated lock and unlock button on the remote. Make it an electronic fob like Mercedes.

Make the inner door handle (not the pull) out of real metal instead of the cheap metal painted plastic. Yuck.

Use a contrasting headliner color, or make any interior item contrasting. The monochrome look is just to much.

Dustless brake pads. Or low dust ones.

Make front clear bra type protection an option, hey they already put it on the fenders.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM
PV
Pro

MMD: do you drive/own a 997?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Atlas.
Intermediate

Give me a bloody dipstick for the oil. I HATE the computer check. It always gives me different readings and I don't trust it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:44 PM
jboyko
Intermediate

Change the wart (although the kids like it) to a George Nelson/Herman Miller style clock, add some range to the garage door opener, make the tiny console buttons usable & visible, fix the gear box to reduce the higher speed 5th to 2nd shift, buy a navigation system that's easier to use, and is accurate once in a while, add warmers (or a BMW style brake dryer system) to the PCCB's for cold wet driving, and have a mode on the traction control for no spin/skid driving.

Oh, and dealers should give out Peppers for loaners on all 997's (I'm starting to feel like Dale Jr. these days).

jb
Old 03-16-2005, 08:24 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I love everything about it compared to my old 996 except the steering wheel. I want my all black wheel with silver crest back!!!!

Can you change the crest on this one to silver? I have the silver crest for the hood I took off my 996 and hate the gold one on the steering wheel and wheels.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:44 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I back up three that have already been given and one of my own.

1) Give me a real dipstick. You're German engineers, you can engineer a solution.
2) Drop the fake quad exhaust tips OR give me four real pipes into the mufflers.
3) Make the Chrono dash stopwatch an option on the Chrono package.
4) Give me a rock cannon so I can return fire on 18 wheelers that nail me with rocks... and make it 360 degree accurate.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:45 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
2) Drop the fake quad exhaust tips OR give me four real pipes into the mufflers.
If you want four real pipes you need a V8 (you probably know this)

The M3 has "real" quad pipes welded into the muffler of the inline 6 cylinder engine. Still makes little sense, but, you're onto something: at least it's not a "T" on the M3.

Pontiac wannabe cars and the 997S BOTH have "T"s on their exhaust! GROSS!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:46 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll add that they should have an Alcantara steering wheel option.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:41 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlas
Give me a bloody dipstick for the oil. I HATE the computer check. It always gives me different readings and I don't trust it!!!!!!!!!!
Whoa, no dipstick in a 997??? You're joking, right?
Old 03-17-2005, 04:01 AM
zacharie
Advanced

-I ALSO WANT AN OIL DIPSTICK The gauge measurement isn't accurate and gives you different levels.
-I also would have liked an option for which you can suppress the radio, this big screen and all this navigation buttons absolutely useless for me.

Apart from that I just love my 997

The cabriolet version is ugly by the way...very very ugly..well not my taste at all, might be good for poseurs.

Quick Reply: The perfect 997S