Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear film protection on rear fender area.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 03:19 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

To be honest, I'd rather have the car repainted. The chips are pretty wide spread at this point. I have a few dozen on each side. If I don't get the car repainted I might trade it in for a 997s... I'm so f///ing pissed.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riotgear
Assuming a high quality body shop did the work, which option would look better, having the panel repainted or touched up.
If the clear protection film will cover the chips, I would consider gingerly touching up the chips & then covering the fenders with the OEM film. If the clear protection film won't cover the chips, I would consider having a slightly larger film professionally cut, gingerly touching up the chips & then covering the fenders with the larger film. Point being that you'll not notice the touched up chips under the film.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:24 PM
jboyko
Intermediate

The $6.00 an hour kid that did the prep probably thought they were supposed to come off like the white film. But, when it didn't come off so easy, they took both off, hoping that you wouldn't notice their f-up. A quality re-spray and a set of clear film should turn out as good as new.

good luck

jb
Old 03-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

To be honest, I'd rather have the car repainted. The chips are pretty wide spread at this point. I have a few dozen on each side. If I don't get the car repainted I might trade it in for a 997s... I'm so f///ing pissed.
Be glad its not my dealer, he would tell you he will give you $50 in parts credit! This bumper cover alone, in Primer, is $810.00 not including removal and installation. Hoffman Porsche in East Hartford told me I can have $300.00 in Parts credit... Small Claims Court here I come!

Old 03-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone with a electric screw gun did not have a good aim.

Next time you are out your dealer look at the front bumper cover on a 987 and notice 2 dimples for the location of screws for the front plate holder. No dimples on a 997.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Someone with a electric screw gun did not have a good aim.

Next time you are out your dealer look at the front bumper cover on a 987 and notice 2 dimples for the location of screws for the front plate holder. No dimples on a 997.
Thank God I told the salesman that I would refuse delivery if he mounted a front plate! Funny how he understood that clearly but screwed up everything else.. THe written repair bill from a body shop for my bumper is about $1500.00. I offered the dealer $1200.00 in parts credit just to end it, he tells me $300.00... Wonder why i'm suing him and telling the WORLD to stay away from the BUTCHER!

Old 03-16-2005, 12:32 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Gary, that is horrible. I hope you get that issue resolved in your favor.

I've heard some people say repainting is fine, while others wouldn't repaint... is this just a matter of quality of work done by the body shop, or will it always be noticeable regardless of how well the repaint was done?
Old 03-20-2005, 05:13 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Hey Gary, ask the dealer if he would install a short shifter for you at no charge if you already don't have one? I will have to come over and see how bad these holes are. I'm back from vacation and back to being a "waiter". Talk to you soon. By the way how was DE at Lime Rock?

Jay
April build.
997 S Cab
Atlas Metallic Grey
Old 03-20-2005, 06:05 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary, that is horrible. I hope you get that issue resolved in your favor.

I've heard some people say repainting is fine, while others wouldn't repaint... is this just a matter of quality of work done by the body shop, or will it always be noticeable regardless of how well the repaint was done?
Clear coat overspray is THE major problem after proper color match. Whether clear coat from your paint job or a paint job for another car many feet away in the same area. The spray drifts like sticky powder and covers every inch of uncovered painted surface with an opaque, rough to the touch film. Most shops don't wrap the entire car in plastic, instead they let the spray float and land, and then rotary buff the major flat surfaces back to smooth. The problem with this method, in addition to the danger of a rotary buffer in the hands of anyone but a highly skilled professional, is that the smaller strips of painted surface near rubber or plastic, around the windshield and windows, etc., can't be cut with a rotary buffer so they skip over them. And, it is a huge amount of work to get clear coat off those areas by hand or with an orbital buffer.

To fight this, I insist that the WHOLE car covered in plastic or paper before any painting on or nearby. Even if they are painting a ding on the far rear, they must cover the whole car. But just run your fingers over the paint and you can tell where the over spray is.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ23
Hey Gary, ask the dealer if he would install a short shifter for you at no charge if you already don't have one? I will have to come over and see how bad these holes are. I'm back from vacation and back to being a "waiter". Talk to you soon. By the way how was DE at Lime Rock?

Jay
April build.
997 S Cab
Atlas Metallic Grey
Both days of the Limerock DE were CANCELLED!! I guesst the grass on the outside of the track itself has to be clean of snow /mud or no go. Next one is in June at Watkins Glen... 8-(.

As for the dealer, he will never touch my car again.. more satisfaction out of suing his ***.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:39 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Clear coat overspray is THE major problem after proper color match. Whether clear coat from your paint job or a paint job for another car many feet away in the same area. The spray drifts like sticky powder and covers every inch of uncovered painted surface with an opaque, rough to the touch film. Most shops don't wrap the entire car in plastic, instead they let the spray float and land, and then rotary buff the major flat surfaces back to smooth. The problem with this method, in addition to the danger of a rotary buffer in the hands of anyone but a highly skilled professional, is that the smaller strips of painted surface near rubber or plastic, around the windshield and windows, etc., can't be cut with a rotary buffer so they skip over them. And, it is a huge amount of work to get clear coat off those areas by hand or with an orbital buffer.

To fight this, I insist that the WHOLE car covered in plastic or paper before any painting on or nearby. Even if they are painting a ding on the far rear, they must cover the whole car. But just run your fingers over the paint and you can tell where the over spray is.
Thanks for the info Johnny. I am printing this entire thread and giving it to the body shop.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:37 AM
jfraser
Instructor

Riotgear,
The most important thing is to find the best bodyshop to do the work....Respraying is an art not a science, so the results are always going to be dependant on the skill of the operator.
You have a complicated color with Atlas grey and many factors will affect how good it looks, nozzle size, spray angle, flek size etc (fleck size is the size of the metal flakes in the metallic paint.....if they are different from the original then even with a good color match, it'll still be a dead giveaway that it's been resprayed. That being said, the area you want to spray is a 'good' area, it's full of curves etc which all reflect light differently.....It makes it difficult for the eye to do a 'color match' comparison....furthermore you are then going to have film placed over the area. Get some recommendations of good bodyshops in the area (which may not be the same as the dealer recommended one) and I'm sure you'll get a good 'invisible' result
Old 03-21-2005, 03:37 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info Johnny. I am printing this entire thread and giving it to the body shop.
Best wishes for a flawless job. BEWARE if they present the repainted car to you in BRIGHT SUNLIGHT, they're hiding something. Pick it up at night, under the fluorescent lamps of the shop interior as they reveal all... and don't trust your eyes, use your hands.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:42 AM
jfraser
Instructor

Totally agree on the flourescent lights....Nothing can hide under them
Old 05-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what are the conclusions to both issues, or do you have to keep your mouth(s) shut.

Quick Reply: Clear film protection on rear fender area.