Sponsored by:

Integrated Dry Sump Better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yes, but did you notice that that they say "derived from racing" and that it assures lubrication even in "sporting driving style". Its that line between racing and sporty that they will get ya...
Does this mean you can't engineer a reliable race engine that doesn't employ a dry sump? Seems to me that most of the successful production based race cars (like those in the SPEED World Challenge GT and Touring) don't have a dry sump.

Fact is, it should be easiest for Porsche to design a reliable integrated dry sump. With the crankshaft being in the middle of their flat-6 engine, there is plenty of room below it to incorporate a oil reservoir. Those with inline or V engine designs, have to work around a crank mounted low in the block.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:50 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the Porsche integrated dry sump is more than enough for 95% of the guys on this board who track their cars, and 100% for the guys who don't.
It actually consists of a sophisticated baffling system, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:10 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
The problem with an integrated dry sump( still a wet sump ) assuming you can control oil pump starvation : the oil is still all stored right below the crank instead of in a separate reservoir , sloshing around and shifting with g forces so that the crank is sunjected to a lot of varying viscous friction.
Yes, but wouldn't the oil also slosh around in the reservoir with the same G forces? Maybe it's scavenging system that is inadequate.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:54 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,083 Likes on 2,865 Posts

I think the fact that they still use a dry sump on the GT2, GT3, TT, and CGT should be enough evidence of which system is better...

Quick Reply: Integrated Dry Sump Better?