Sponsored by:

Educate me about Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 04:44 AM
TerryR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate me about Sport Chrono

Doing research regarding the advice of the Chrono option being a good option to get. I've read that it changes throttle mapping and suspension settings. Reading the online 997 manual it appears the the Sport Mode switch at the bottom of the center column does a similar thing?

From the manual:

A sportier car set-up is obtained when Sport mode is switched on. Interventions by the Porsche control systems are intentionally shifted towards greater agility and driving performance.

– PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) is automatically changed to Sport mode, resulting in a stiffer suspension setup.

– The Tiptronic S switches to a sporty gear changing map and shortens the gear shifting periods. Gear changes take place faster.

– PSM (Porsche Stability Management) control is sporty. PSM interventions take place later than in Normal mode. The driver can maneuver the vehicle with greater agility at its performance limits, without having to dispense with the assistance of PSM in emergency situations.

– The electronic accelerator pedal reacts sooner, and the engine is more responsive to throttle inputs. When Sport mode is switched on, this function is activated only after the driver has floored the accelerator pedal or released it briefly.

– The rpm limiter characteristic is “harder”, i.e. the engine is immediately throttled when the performance limits are reached (only in manual selection mode for vehicles with Tiptronic S).
Can anyone exlpain what the sport chrono does above and beyond Sport Mode? Or is that Sport Mode button part of the Chrono Package and won't be there unless the car has Sport Chrono? Thanks in advance Terry
Old 03-02-2005, 05:02 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

The Sport Chrono option adds the Sport mode button, giving you the option of immediately going into sport mode. It also includes the controversial chronometer on the dash, expands some functions of the PCM and adds the sport displays to the PCM system. As far as I am concerned, its a MUST have option.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:28 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with jcnesq. It's a must option. I used the sport mode for the first time a few days ago, after 2700 miles. I loved every minute of taking the 997 to 6K rpm (for the first time) and the change to the r's with the Sport mode on.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:11 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For a different opinion, here’s my take on the Sports-Chrono option, and I AM being opinionated here. Increasing throttle sensitivity when I flip a switch is the stupidest thing I would ever want in a car. I like to drive by instinct and when I depress the accelerator half way I would want, and expect, the same amount of throttle opening each and every time, regardless of the driving situation. Why stop at the accelerator, why not have a similar switch for the amount of power assisted braking? When I’ve become accustomed to the feel, the response, the handling of a particular automobile I become one with the car, and my driving reactions to road conditions, hazards, and general accident avoidance become instinctive. Having to think about what settings I’m in is that last thing I would want.

So for me, it’s a must-not-have option. Resell value be damned. I buy a car for me and me alone, not the guy who gets a leftover. Besides, I hate that ugly wart.

And that’s my $0.02.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:20 PM
MMD
Banned

The overall consensus is to get the option even though the consensus is hatred of the wart. There's alot of guys here who know alot more than I do about driving, tracking and racing, they all say it's a must have option. So I'll just get the darn thing, hoping I can pop out the clock and get an aftermarket dash patch if I don't get used to it.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 578 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
For a different opinion, here’s my take on the Sports-Chrono option, and I AM being opinionated here. Increasing throttle sensitivity when I flip a switch is the stupidest thing I would ever want in a car. I like to drive by instinct and when I depress the accelerator half way I would want, and expect, the same amount of throttle opening each and every time, regardless of the driving situation. Why stop at the accelerator, why not have a similar switch for the amount of power assisted braking? When I’ve become accustomed to the feel, the response, the handling of a particular automobile I become one with the car, and my driving reactions to road conditions, hazards, and general accident avoidance become instinctive. Having to think about what settings I’m in is that last thing I would want.

So for me, it’s a must-not-have option. Resell value be damned. I buy a car for me and me alone, not the guy who gets a leftover. Besides, I hate that ugly wart.

And that’s my $0.02.
You make a good point. And, learning to heel/toe and rev match is a bit more time consuming in the two different modes. However, my 2 cents, the throttle sensitivity in "sport" is very easy to get used to. The "normal" mode is nice for a smooth and linear application of the throttle in city driving. But, the "sport" mode I find fascinating and involving where I know I can let the throttle out a bit. It's awesome to have the roar and thrust of that beautiful flat-6 the touch of the pedal. And, I actually find it easier to correctly blip the throttle in "sport" mode to rev match or heel/toe. Also, the loosening of the PSM parameters is a blast. Of course, this is best experienced on a track.

Just my opinion...
Old 03-02-2005, 02:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen

And that’s my $0.02.

You can drive always in sport mode (while setting PASM in normal or sport mode) if you want more responsive reflexes. No need to adjust to 2 modes - just adjust to sport.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Good point!
Old 03-02-2005, 03:28 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 578 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
You can drive always in sport mode (while setting PASM in normal or sport mode) if you want more responsive reflexes. No need to adjust to 2 modes - just adjust to sport.
Yeah. I would love a way to make the car default to "Sport" via Sport Chrono and "normal" with PASM...
Old 03-02-2005, 04:15 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

I will add my comments for each feature of the Sport Chrono:
- Increased throttle response. This feels nice at the beginning becasue it makes you feel the car is faster or the engine is stronger by switching to sport. i experienced it in my E46 M3. However, after 3 years with the car and many autocrosses and track miles I never use it any more. As long as the normal setting gives you full throttle at 100% of accelerator movement, why bother with 2 different pedal/throttle ratios. Fancy but WORTHLESS.

-Sport Suspension mode. Same can be accomplished by setting PASM into sport mode by pressing only one button. Absolutely WORTHLESS

- Increased PSM thresholds. Seems like an interesting proposition. Nevertheless the normal PSM thresholds seem fine, specially if compared to others like BMW's. I say seem fine b/c in my personal opinion if I have it on is b/c if I want it to interfere there's a reason for it (Winter, Rain, bad road conditions). For spirited driving and track time nothing beats driver aids OFF (Assumming the appropriate driver skill). WORTH IT for those who rarely or will never dare to take PSM OFF.

- Chrono. Some people might not like how it looks but it does serve a good purpose. I always wanted something like it at track events. Definetively WORTH it.

Althought most of the above add no value I would order it just b/c of the Chrono itself!

Last edited by cgomez; 03-02-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the chrono. In sport mode it is barely a 1" blip on the pedal to get a good 400 - 500 RPM pop when downshifting heel-toe. With sport mode off it is a good 2" push on the pedal and the response is not as consistent.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:39 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by cgomez
... Althought most of the above add no value I would order it just b/c of the Chrono itself!
Wow, talk about diversity of opinions! Here's someone who's basically saying you can keep all those fancy schmancy features, just give me that wart!

Kudos for being honest!
Old 03-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Ronnie
Instructor

I didn't order it because my dealer described it as a £500 stopclock.

I'm not disappointed that I don't have it.

Now that I've read up about it on this forum and others, and bearing in mind its not retro upgradeable, I would select it if was ordering tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Educate me about Sport Chrono