Military Overseas Sales?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 09:24 AM
nitmr26
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military Overseas Sales?

Hello,

Does anybody know if Porsche has any Military Overseas Sales programs similar to those offered by BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo? For those who are unfamiliar with their programs, they offer good deals for US servicemen who are stationed overseas. The cars can either be delivered to the US or the country in which you are stationed. I would love to order a 997 for factory delivery, but unfortunately I'm stationed in Korea. Last time I checked, there was nothing but Kia and Hyundai factories around here. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jason
Old 02-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Chip McCoy
Intermediate

Lightbulb

I was at Osan AB two years didn't bring my Porsche Porsche will sell you a US spec car in Germany using the same US price list/options for delivery in Germany in USD. You'd just need to plan a vacation here to pick it up and then pay for shipment to your next duty station. Or put in for MARFOREUR or HQ USEUCOM next so you can drive it on A8 every day. I ordered a new 997S for delivery in April and then will ship it to Maryland this summer. I can give you the name of a salesman who speaks English if you are interested.
Chip
USAF
Old 02-17-2005, 10:27 PM
nitmr26
Intermediate

Chip,

Thanks for the info. I sold my Porsche before I was transferred to Korea. Now I am living in car hell. As you pointed out, the best solution would have been orders to Germany, but that was not an option for me. As my next set of orders should hopefully take me back to Arizona, I think the Gremany delivery of a Porsche will have to wait. I guess I could go talk to the dealership here in Seoul, but I have a feeling their prices won't be any better than a US dealer. The Marine Corps would pay to ship one vehicle back to the states, and I'm surely not going to ship the p.o.s. I bought here back to the states.

Oh well. I've got another 17 months to go. Maybe the US dealers will be discounting a little more by then.

What squadron were you with at Osan? Do you fly them or fix them?

Take care.

jason
Old 02-18-2005, 09:13 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Nope. I was assigned to Patch Barracks in Stuttgart. There's a Porsche dealership just outside the main gate, but no special deals of any kind.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:17 AM
nitmr26
Intermediate

Thanks, Tony. I didn't think there were, but it never hurts to ask.

jason
Old 02-18-2005, 03:23 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Might not be anything extra to add but Larry Miller the head rep for Cars-Intl which only sells to ID card holders is brewing something up for us Military like people. And yes it would be a special deal just depends how stubborn Porsche is going to be. Got this info from my wing Chaplain who just ordered a 2005 Boxster for March delivery. I think big thing is if you don't have the car for like 2 years or more overseas or put a certain mileage on the car you will end up paying taxes once brought to the States or something to that effect, forgot the specifics.

nitmr26- where at you at in Korea? Not Yongsan? I just came out of a crap time assignment from Osan...talk about some bad times for GI's in Korea if you aren't an E7+

Chip- what do you do at Stuttgart?

harrY
USAF
(by the way if Larry isn't around talk to Karen she's on top of things too!)
Old 02-18-2005, 09:51 PM
nitmr26
Intermediate

Harry,

Thanks for the info. I am in fact stationed at Yongsan. I'm not familiar with Cars-Intl. Do you have a web address or email for Larry?

I'm not necessarily trying to avoid the sales tax. I'm just curious if Porsche has a sales program that prices their vehicles around invoice for US servicemen (like BMW or Volvo). Since, I am only allowed one car here, I would like the car shipped directly to the US for an August or September '06 delivery. I may just end up ordering a Z06 through the Exchange New Car Sales.

I am fortunate that I have only minor complaints regarding quality of life. I have fairly stable and reasonable work hours. I get to see my wife and kids everyday. I just don't have a garage with a Porsche inside. A minor point that pales in comparison to some of the sacrifices made by my brothers. Take care.

jason
Old 02-19-2005, 06:10 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

nitmr26-

You have a PM.

harrY
Old 02-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Jason,

I'm currently at Osan for a 1 year remote. I talked with AAFES about the new car purchase program they run and found out that some models are not available through the program. Not sure if the new Z06 will be obtainable or not but that would be a great way to get one early and a bit cheaper than retail in the states. I have a hunch there will be a premium placed on the Z06 for awhile. In any event, they have a full time sales staff here that seem easy to work with if you're really in the market.

I'm the ER doc here at Osan so stop in and say hi if you're in the area.

Cheers.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:54 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Hey Jim H.

You just get to Osan? The hospital get attacked much lately? (exercise) I paid a few visits to the ER and no not because of Soju. Only lived right down the road in 708 across from the Class Six. Anyways back to cars the Z06 is available through AAFES just have to wait for the new model to be released. Talked to the Osan sales reps when i was there just to give them some **** but they would order me a Z06 if i wanted but not that i like Vettes in anyways.
By the way Jim where are your cars stored at right now? And curious PM if you wish...what's your follow on? USAF ER doc with a GT3...damn must be nice.

harrY
Old 02-19-2005, 07:42 PM
nitmr26
Intermediate

Jim H,

I spoke with one of the AAFES salesmen in early January. They won't know until June if they will get any Z06 allocations for 2006. I gave them my contact information to be put on the list in case they get an allocation. I am also on the waiting list with a large dealership in Idaho for a 2007 Z06 (only $217 over invoice). The dealership in Idaho will more than likely be able to beat the AAFES price, but I would have to fly to Idaho to get the car. I have plenty of time to sort this out. I would like to hold off on any final decisions until the production Z06 is tested and some reviews are published.

How do you like you GT3? If I could find one at a price I could afford, it would end any indecisiveness on my next car purchase. I really loved my last Porsche (2000 Boxster). I've been thinking heavily about a new 997 or 987, but the new Z06 looks like it will have outstanding performance. I've got 17 months to go before I make it back to the states. Maybe the prices on used GT3's will drop into my price range by the time I get home.

I almost took the family on a road trip to Osan yesterday, but the snow kept us at home.

cheers,

jason
Old 02-20-2005, 06:12 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Nice to see some military folks on this board. I was born at Kunsan, Korea - my Dad is retired USAF. I remember the snow from Osan. Osan must be drastically different from what I remember 20 years ago.

I was recently on a deferment for law school (US Army JAG), but that has been put on hold temporarily. My wife is USAFR nurse in an aero evac squadron.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Riot - From what I understand, Osan has grown up a lot in the last 20 years. The off base area has of course embraced the military and there are plenty of bars, cheap shopping, and did I mention bars? I have a buddy up at Yongsan who is a JAG/Dr. He's getting out soon but I can put you in touch with him if you wanted.

Jason - The GT3 rocks! My absolute dream car. I kind of always wished that I could have been "of age" in the 60's and seventies and bought a GT350, Cobra, or 73' RS when they were new. Turns out that the 2000's is a better time to buy an ultimate performance car. I actually don't have much time in the seat as I picked it up 7 (seven) days prior to departing for Osan. I did manage to put 1,000 miles on it for break in prior to leaving GT3 prices in a couple years will no doubt be less than they are now, who knows how much. I don't care if they drop like a rock, mine's a keeper, so here's hoping one finds its way into your garage one day. BTW-What you doing up at Yongsan?

Harry - Yeah, we're sucking rubber all the time with an ORI coming up soon. I'm headed back to Wright Patt after this for good, no more PCSs. The cars are just stored in a garage right now. It still stinks for E7 and below at Osan. Hell, it ain't great above that either. Sometimes I really hate how "we" treat our troops. If I ever get in charge...

Cheers.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:22 PM
nitmr26
Intermediate

Jim H.,

Sounds like we're kindred spirits. I've lusted over the GT350 forever. It seems the value of the GT350 increases faster then my ability to afford one.

I'm currently serving my sentence on the USFK staff. Normally, I'm in the cockpit of a Harrier. I should be heading back to a squadron in the summer of '06.

I'll cross my fingers that GT3 prices drop like stones over the next 17 months. All except the white ones.

jason
Old 02-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Jason,

Yeah we're pretty "kindred". I spent the first 9 years in the USAF flying jets. (F-15C). We always had a Marine exchange pilot in my squadron. Otis Day, Knotso Wise, and Sly Magill (only marine to get a kill in Iraq war) were all past flying buddies. Those days are long gone but not forgotten.

No fun flying a desk I'm sure. That's one of the reasons I switched careers.

Later.

Quick Reply: Military Overseas Sales?