Help! I need everyone's opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:21 PM
florindi
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! I need everyone's opinion

Hi Everybody,
I am picking up my car tomorrow and I found a small ding about the size of a pea on my left fender. Also, there is a deep scratch right below the ding. the problem with the scratch is that it is deep. It seems that the dealer didn't know about it and are saying it already came buffed, probably from port or factory. Now here's the dilemna, I got an unbelievable deal on the car and they don't have any other 997S' If I was to pass on the car, not only would I not get a car for another 3 months, but I would not get the same deal since it's winter. What do I do? The dealer has dent wizard coming tomorrow to address the dent. However, the scratch will permanently remain. Is this a deal breaker? He is willing to take off some small change to soften the blow. All I can say is the dealer is treating me fair but ultimately it's my decision. What do you guys think about swapping fenders with another car on the lot? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Anthony
Old 02-14-2005, 05:29 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is the scratch permanent. They can paint the car. I have been keyed twice and had the car painted and you can't tell at all.

Why wouldn't you get the same deal. If anything you should get a better deal since your car was damaged prior to delivery and it will cause you inconveniences.

The ding would be no concern, you will get more as time goes on and the dent repair guys do amazing jobs.

since you asked for opinions here's mine:

Get the car fixed at dealer's expense (including the paintwork)
Get a bit more off the car
Drive and have fun.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Tse-Tse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why can't they repaint the fender? That should be a no-brainer. Or go to a competent body shop. A scratch does not hurt the essence of that car. If you got a great deal - go through with it. (Although it is disheartening to see a scratch and ding on such a wonderful, new car.)
Old 02-14-2005, 05:47 PM
florindi
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,
Yes, you are both right about repainting. However, I don't want to entertain having something painted on a new car that I haven't even purchased yet. If my car got keyed or dented from use that would be a different story.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:51 PM
OH997
Pro

My car was keyed one week after I bought it so not much different.

If you are not willing to paint it don't buy it. Far worse to leave the scratch than to paint it. Everytime you look at the car you will see that scratch. Also, not great to have metal exposed.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:58 PM
florindi
Rennlist Member

OH997,
The scratch is not exposing metal. But it's deep. What do you think about swapping fenders?
Old 02-14-2005, 06:05 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by florindi
OH997,
The scratch is not exposing metal. But it's deep. What do you think about swapping fenders?
First, ask the dealer to replace the fender...should not take more than a few days. Failing that ask the dealer to have the scratch fixed and repainted at his cost. If neither works then walk away from the deal. I know you may have to wait for another car (I think dollarwise you'd be able to get as sweet a deal as before)...because if u take delivery with the scratch on it you're not going to be a happy camper.

The dealer should fix it...if he doesn't then you don't want to do business with him.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:12 PM
MMD
Banned

Default Don't the new paints have new techniques?

Take the car. I *think* they can do amazing things with these new paints. The modern acrylic (?) paints are more like body fillers (in a small way) in that they can be applied thickly, they harden and they can be *machined* ( sanded, smoothed and polished) to a degree.

I don't think whole fenders have to be repainted for just a scratch anymore.

Years ago if you tried to "fill" with the paint by applying a thick coat it would take forvere to dry and it would orange peel and be soft for months.

If you got a great deal, it means paying to have this repair made is worth it.

Wouldn't swapping fenders would be bad since Porsche boasts about how they "handbuild" the doors to fit the rest of the car body? Didn't I read this somewhere in the brochure?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:39 PM
OH997
Pro

A good paint shop will be able to make the existing fender look as good as new. I would much rather do that than remove the fender and rely on the shop to get the same fit as the factory. It took 2 days to paint my car and the finish is baked in so you can wax, etc. almost immediately after the repair.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Curt911
Pro

I would refuse it, chances are you'll get a better car anyway (give Porsche a little more time to get the bugs out) It will probably bug you laterplus you will not be able to sell the car as a "no paint" without telling a lie...

I would not want a replaced fender either!

Good luck, lie you said, decision is yours...
Old 02-15-2005, 02:40 PM
florindi
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,
I appreciate everyone's opinion. I think if they get the ding out today and maybe a small discount on top of what they already have given me then it's a deal. You have to understand one thing this car is a stretch as it is and paying more money somewhere else is not feasible. Obviously if money wasn't an issue then I would definitely pass on the deal. I brought down a friend who is as **** as me and he didn't see it until I pointed it out. I tried taking a picture but it's impossible to see anything in the photo. My friend agrees that the ding need to address but the scratch is barely noticable.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:45 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

what's the msrp and how much did they discount? The reason I didn't get an s is that I couldn't find one for less than $99k, as they were all loaded, at least in New York/Connecticut. So, if you they gave you a great price and a great discount you may be well off taking it. Are you buying or leasing?
Old 02-15-2005, 03:54 PM
florindi
Rennlist Member

JCF7,
I am buying the car. The msrp is little over 90k.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Weissy
Instructor

Hey Jcf7 check out New Country Porsche in Greenwich CT. Thats where I got my s and they have a few on the floor. Aldo was the guy who helped me you can tell him that Josh told you to call him. I didn't look to closely at the stickers but they wernt launch cars so good chance they are not loaded up. May be worth a shot.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:04 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

good for you. This is my first Porsche and, while I've only had it for 7 days (1350 miles!) I can't imagine life without it.

Good luck....you'll really enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Help! I need everyone's opinion