Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire for 997?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:28 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a 996 spare that works on a 997 or 997S according to Sunset Porsche in Oregon (Jeff in parts dept). His information comes from Porsche of North America I assume? Other have used it successfully, I'm told. I did not take it for a "spin" because last week with 2600 miles on the car I got the "return to workshop message" for the first time and didn't want to go through "Skips" adventure. The dealer told me that Porsche is aware of this issue and will fix this electrical glitch as soon as the new module is available to ship out. The messages the tech gets on the readout are the same as everyone else with this issue ( front hood release malfunction (which they replaced even though it always worked), the front steering sensor angle + a host of other messages that simply does not exist (this is something that is a communication issue with a front module not working properly and absolutely nothing wrong with the mechanical part of the car in any way). My dealership was in direct communication with the factory on this and has another module on order. What aparently happens (usually after the car is washed) is that a module located in the front of the car either shorts out or fails in some way and a message pops up saying: "return to workshop". Its been about a week now since the dealer attempted to fix it and no more messages....... so for that reason (for now) I'm not going to experiment with driving around with the spare. The circumference of the spare fully inflated to 36 PSI is approximately the same size as the OEM. PASM should be disengaged when using the spare anyway. I am not sure you can fully turn it off but at least press the button if it starts to go haywire on you. Sorry, but the priority for me is to get the module issue addressed first without tossing in any additional outside factors. If I get a flat you'll be the first to know. If this is a big concern hold off for now on the purchase. My car is absolutlely perfect otherwise and this just recently happened. I'm confident that Porsche will take care of it and also confident that I live next to a 1st class Porsche dealership, the only dealership in the world that has the BEISSBARTH ALIGNMENT STATION outside the Stuttgart factory. Did I give it away? Take a guess? I'll be offline for the next few days but should return by the weekend. Cheers.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:51 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by gradyex
Its a 996 spare that works on a 997 or 997S according to Sunset Porsche in Oregon (Jeff in parts dept). His information comes from Porsche of North America I assume? Other have used it successfully, I'm told. I did not take it for a "spin" because last week with 2600 miles on the car I got the "return to workshop message" for the first time and didn't want to go through "Skips" adventure. The dealer told me that Porsche is aware of this issue and will fix this electrical glitch as soon as the new module is available to ship out. The messages the tech gets on the readout are the same as everyone else with this issue ( front hood release malfunction (which they replaced even though it always worked), the front steering sensor angle + a host of other messages that simply does not exist (this is something that is a communication issue with a front module not working properly and absolutely nothing wrong with the mechanical part of the car in any way). My dealership was in direct communication with the factory on this and has another module on order. What aparently happens (usually after the car is washed) is that a module located in the front of the car either shorts out or fails in some way and a message pops up saying: "return to workshop". Its been about a week now since the dealer attempted to fix it and no more messages....... so for that reason (for now) I'm not going to experiment with driving around with the spare. The circumference of the spare fully inflated to 36 PSI is approximately the same size as the OEM. PASM should be disengaged when using the spare anyway. I am not sure you can fully turn it off but at least press the button if it starts to go haywire on you. Sorry, but the priority for me is to get the module issue addressed first without tossing in any additional outside factors. If I get a flat you'll be the first to know. If this is a big concern hold off for now on the purchase. My car is absolutlely perfect otherwise and this just recently happened. I'm confident that Porsche will take care of it and also confident that I live next to a 1st class Porsche dealership, the only dealership in the world that has the BEISSBARTH ALIGNMENT STATION outside the Stuttgart factory. Did I give it away? Take a guess? I'll be offline for the next few days but should return by the weekend. Cheers.
Good Lord...the infamous "Return to Workshop" error resurfaces. I certainly hope PAG figures this one out soon.

BTW, thanks for being an early adopter of this option. Very informative...

Good luck with your new front module. Hopefully this will fix it. But, didn't Skip get this replaced multiple times?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:11 PM
gradyex
Racer

Thanks alin2 for the support. Before I go I would like to mention a few things about the spare tire option. Please get advise from your authorized Porsche dealer first before buying this. I showed it to my local dealership and they informed me that its fine for "emergency use only". Ditto when I spoke to Sunset Porsche again today. This tire can be used (According to Porsche of North America) on the 997 and 997S for EMERGENCY temporary use ONLY. Do not drive with one for several weeks as it wasn't designed for this. Regarding drive train issues (PLEASE CONFIRM THIS WITH YOUR PORSCHE AUTHORIZED DEALER!) and wheel diameter variations between the 2 models (about 1/2 inch difference). I was told that for its intended use its safe. Remember all 4 wheels of your vehicle don't spin at the same revolutions per minute when making a turn or other manuvers. Picture yourself making a U turn, the outside wheels need to turn much faster than the inside ones to cover the same ground. Doing so doesn't cause the computer to reak havoc on the drive train. As far as PASM goes I personally would drive super carfully and turn it off if it gave me fits. Anyhow got to run. Next week if i don't see any more "return to workshops" I may slap one on and take it for a spin around the block a few times as I'm certain that it will not damage the car "mechanically" (maybe a flashing siren from the traction control?). I wouldn't try this if I thought it would even remotely cause damage to my "baby." The diameter of the spare when filled to proper (36psi) matches the stocks tires on my S very closely and I already know that my "turbo" brakes have all the clearance necessary cause I installed them both front and rear yesterday. Actually I was more concerned with that than any drive train issues. If my computer behaves for one solid week consider it done. Till then, cheers and safe driving.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks for posting. While I'd like to make sure this is proper for a 997S with 19" wheels, I think I'm going to order one (and thanks for the reminder we need a lug wrench too!). I doubt I would carry it daily, but for any sort of longer trip, I'd much rather have it than be stranded in the middle of nowhere. I have used Porsche spares several times in the past when its questionable whether the can of fix a flat would have worked.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least there is an option to retofit something for the 997- Had no spare in my first Cayenne, and no option to retrofit. Ended up trading for a newer Cay with spare installed.

This is a real issue for me as I think about a 997. Where will the flat tire go if you have a passenger? I can hardly imagine the rear 19" wheel assembly would fit anywhere in the car...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

... I did not take it for a "spin" because last week with 2600 miles on the car I got the "return to workshop message" for the first time and didn't want to go through "Skips" adventure. The dealer told me that Porsche is aware of this issue and will fix this electrical glitch as soon as the new module is available to ship out....
gradyex & All Others Concerned,

Rest assured that the "return to workshop message" malfunction has been isolated & can be easily repaired. It is associated with a bad solenoid connected to the internal emergency trunk release as eventually found & repaired on Skip's former 997S, now owned by Porsche. This was determined by the master mechanic at the dealership from which I purchased my vehicle, here in Colorado.

I look forward to the repaired return of your vehicle and your continued report on the 997 spare issue.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
gradyex
Racer

Richard, what a releif reading your post about my "return to workshop" gremlin! My service advisor did replace the bad solinoid in the front trunk and also ordered a new module that may have been the culprit in question but Porsche cancelled the module order (I'm assuming that they know the module has nothing to do with it)? So far, no messages and its been over a week with (both fingers crossed). Music to my ears Richard! I'll be mounting that spare tire soon. Take your pick (Richards choice(: (FR,FL,RR,RL)? I'll give it a 5 mile run before returning home unless it has fits. Let me know and thanks for the update!
Old 02-26-2005, 03:24 AM
gradyex
Racer

Well since Richard hasn't returned yet to rennlist, I deceided to go ahead with the test (both front and rear using the stock compressor to inflate). First , I took the passenger side rear tire off and compared it with the inflated spare (see photo). I slapped the spare on, used an extra large glad bag to put the tire in (the white "boot" is bigger and will fit the rear tire without any fuss). I then proceeded to stow it in the passenger back seat (carefully). It did fit straight across and will not budge if you pull back the passenger seat to prevent it from squirming around. The tire itself is secured by the drivetrain hump in the middle and will not roll over to the seat next to it. The plastic glad bag serves a dual purpose. (1) it keeps your interior clean and (2) It prevents you from scuffing up the leather with rubber (carefull its slippery and heavy). Now for the first test, (PSM remain on and sport button not engaged on both tests)..... off I went for approx 4-5 miles total, mostly city blocks but also a short stretch on 101 North to Golden Gate Bridge (I am able to hit the max speed allowed for spare of 50mph there) and exited on Doyle Drive to return home. Observations: The tire did its job and no messages, noises, or glitches to report other than the rear being a bit more bouncy (I filled the tire pressure to 40psi which is the max allowed). Test 2: Removed front driver tire and compared with inflated spare (see photo). This time I notice that the front tire is shorter by about 1/2 inch (see photo). After slapping the tire on and torqued the bolts to 96psi i was off basically on the same course and distance leaving PSM on. Observations: pretty much the same with the only difference being a slight steering pull to the right but applying the brakes straighten's the car out (this is due to the camber of the front suspension and the much thinner/lighter spare is affected much easier and its noticable but not in the least bit unsafe even at 50 mph). Hitting the brakes actually negates this when its time to stop and as soon as I slapped on the stock rim and re-tested the car it disappeared. Also I turned the wheels all the way (right and left) to check and see if it rubbed on the wheel well (it doesn't). Conclusion: for emergency situations this tire works well on my 997S. Enjoy the photos and as a last note: I in no way am reccomending this wheel to anyone or saying that this is an OEM porsche 997 part! Its not, its an OEM Porsche 996 part probably for the C4S? All I know is that the spare works for me and I tested it because I want to know that in an emergency I have something that I can count on besides a tow truck or a cell phone with no signal. Cheers and have a great weekend.
Attached Images       
Old 02-26-2005, 03:31 AM
gradyex
Racer

Oops, photos in wrong place. Photo 1 = Front tire/spare comparison. Photo 3 = rear tire/spare comparison. and photo 6 = added 1 more short bungie cord because I didn't want to put too much stress on the plastic clips that hold the compressor and bottle of liquid. Most of you will probably do it differently anyway, whatever works!
Old 02-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

gradyex,

Sorry I missed the selection of the first tire location for the spare experiment. I was not worthy! Great test! Important security having a spare as I had on my '02 996.

Did or will you look into getting the 996 balistic nylon spare trunk pouch to stow spare & jack instead of using bungies?

Did you use the OEM jack?

Were there instuctions for lift points or was it intuitively obvious?

I'm sure the "return to workshop" situation will be handled in short order. This stuff is all traceable. I am given to understand that Skip's problem should never have been allowed to escalate to the extent which it had.

Thanks again for doing all the work on testing the collapsable spare!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:53 AM
MMD
Banned

Nice work Gradyex! I'm glad it works. Problem solved!

When you visit REI they have these 6' nylon straps with buckles in the backpack dept that you might use instead of bungee cords. I'm imagining the worst possible case if you slam on the brakes and the spare bumps underneath the hood and dents it.

Also if you check the RV supplies on line you can find these vinyl spare tire covers at NON-Porsche Prices! There's ones for trucks too.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:32 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richard in Colorado
gradyex & All Others Concerned,

Rest assured that the "return to workshop message" malfunction has been isolated & can be easily repaired. It is associated with a bad solenoid connected to the internal emergency trunk release as eventually found & repaired on Skip's former 997S, now owned by Porsche. This was determined by the master mechanic at the dealership from which I purchased my vehicle, here in Colorado.

I look forward to the repaired return of your vehicle and your continued report on the 997 spare issue.
Thanks for the info Richard.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:33 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Well since Richard hasn't returned yet to rennlist, I deceided to go ahead with the test (both front and rear using the stock compressor to inflate). First , I took the passenger side rear tire off and compared it with the inflated spare (see photo). I slapped the spare on, used an extra large glad bag to put the tire in (the white "boot" is bigger and will fit the rear tire without any fuss). I then proceeded to stow it in the passenger back seat (carefully). It did fit straight across and will not budge if you pull back the passenger seat to prevent it from squirming around. The tire itself is secured by the drivetrain hump in the middle and will not roll over to the seat next to it. The plastic glad bag serves a dual purpose. (1) it keeps your interior clean and (2) It prevents you from scuffing up the leather with rubber (carefull its slippery and heavy). Now for the first test, (PSM remain on and sport button not engaged on both tests)..... off I went for approx 4-5 miles total, mostly city blocks but also a short stretch on 101 North to Golden Gate Bridge (I am able to hit the max speed allowed for spare of 50mph there) and exited on Doyle Drive to return home. Observations: The tire did its job and no messages, noises, or glitches to report other than the rear being a bit more bouncy (I filled the tire pressure to 40psi which is the max allowed). Test 2: Removed front driver tire and compared with inflated spare (see photo). This time I notice that the front tire is shorter by about 1/2 inch (see photo). After slapping the tire on and torqued the bolts to 96psi i was off basically on the same course and distance leaving PSM on. Observations: pretty much the same with the only difference being a slight steering pull to the right but applying the brakes straighten's the car out (this is due to the camber of the front suspension and the much thinner/lighter spare is affected much easier and its noticable but not in the least bit unsafe even at 50 mph). Hitting the brakes actually negates this when its time to stop and as soon as I slapped on the stock rim and re-tested the car it disappeared. Also I turned the wheels all the way (right and left) to check and see if it rubbed on the wheel well (it doesn't). Conclusion: for emergency situations this tire works well on my 997S. Enjoy the photos and as a last note: I in no way am reccomending this wheel to anyone or saying that this is an OEM porsche 997 part! Its not, its an OEM Porsche 996 part probably for the C4S? All I know is that the spare works for me and I tested it because I want to know that in an emergency I have something that I can count on besides a tow truck or a cell phone with no signal. Cheers and have a great weekend.
Thanks for the review. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do this as I am only driving in the greater Chicagoland area and can easily call PRA, but it's nice to know the option exists.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:17 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gradyex:

Thanks for your complete review of the "spare option". It is most informative.
What is the second bungee cord for and to what does it attach?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:59 PM
gradyex
Racer

Bill, the second bungie cord used (in the middle) hooks directly behind the tire with the hook "up" and placed under the hard plastic shroud instead of the fix a flat assembly that has 2 plastic ***** that "lock" into place. My fear is that using only one outside bungie or tie down cable will put too much pressure on the 2 ***** and snap it under hard braking. It also keeps the tire in place better. I am going to look into the tiedown straps mentioned above and this part of the install is really what ever you can come up with. I am sure when I have more time, will find a better way. FYI, I drove the car afterwards for about 30 miles taking a few nice turns and hitting the brakes harder than usual when its was safe to and so far so good. I had a 1/2 tank of gas + the spare and wasn't aware of the added weight. I'll probably keep it on permantly, unless I desperately needed the extra space in the truck.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire for 997?