boxster vs 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 02:32 AM
meridian911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boxster vs 911

Hello Everyone
Has anyone really compared these two cars the new 911 vs the new boxster?
I am really curious as to the pros and cons of both these units.
Any opionins would be very helpful.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Charlie360
Intermediate

Smile

Evo Magazine here in the UK has just run a comparison. I haven't read the full article yet, but the track times were pretty much indistinguishable. they conclude by saying..... "If you'd never driven a 911 you'd be very satisfied with a Boxster S. It shares all of the more expensive Porsche's qualities, only some, such as the unique engine sound, are present in slightly smaller doses. The Boxster wins group tests for the same reasons the 911 does; for it's brilliantly honed dynamics and feel, finely judged ride and handling compromise (even less of the handling compromise with PASM), and it's reassuring integrity.But I know that if I had £60K to spend on a new Porsche and I chose the Boxster S, I'd regret the decision every time I saw a Carrera."
Old 02-01-2005, 09:02 AM
nickbourne
7th Gear

To add to Charlie360's comments - two drivers tested the cars, one a very experienced driver of high performance cars the other much less so and I found the latters comments most interesting. He started in the Boxter S and immediately got to grips with it and was comfortable pushing it hard on the road. He then switched to the 911 (base Carrera with minimal options) and found it difficult to know where the limit of the rear end was - fairly negative about the whole 911 experience. They then switched to the track and he felt the Boxster lost some of its shine whereas the 911 took time to learn but was all the better for it. At the end of the track sessions he felt he had learnt so much more in the 911 and would continue to do so while the Boxster was almost done for him. My wait continues, May 2006 delivery...
Old 02-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting comparision. some reckon that porsche is stuck with the rear engine config of the 911- limiting that chassis' ability. i don't believe that, but the numbers certainly point toward a boxster advantage...imagine the 3.8 carrera s engine in the lighter boxster. seems the boxster turns better, and the 911 accelerates and brakes a bit better. oh- and the 911 looks cool.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:33 PM
fahren affair
Pro

fwiw, the new r&T magazine came yesterday, they have a shoot-out for the *best* sports cars. i think more editors choose the new boxster S over the 997S...the boxster now has the distinction of being the quickest car they've ever slalomed--besting the enzo. that new boxster coupe w/ 300 hp will be killer.

Quick Reply: boxster vs 911