Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Launch Edition Cars Always Command A Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Rasta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Launch Edition Cars Always Command A Premium?

In a traditional sense, I've come to recognize that generally "factory options" don't command a premium in the pre-owned market, unless they are truly unique. To this end, I'm wondering whether in two - three years, when the Launch Edition cars that are currently priced at $99.3K start exchanging hands, will they do so at prices similar to a C2S priced in the high-$80's / low-$90's - in other words, will all "MY05" C2S prices start to converge within two - three years? Or will you always be able to extract a $5 - $7K premium for the PCCB's and the "Launch Edition" cache?

I'm more in the former camp - i.e., LE C2S owners are going to be faced with steeper depreciation curves than other C2S owners as I ultimately see pricing converging - but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Mind you, I'm talking about two - three years, not 12 - 15 years, by which time I recognize prices will be much tighter.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Rasta
In a traditional sense, I've come to recognize that generally "factory options" don't command a premium in the pre-owned market, unless they are truly unique. To this end, I'm wondering whether in two - three years, when the Launch Edition cars that are currently priced at $99.3K start exchanging hands, will they do so at prices similar to a C2S priced in the high-$80's / low-$90's - in other words, will all "MY05" C2S prices start to converge within two - three years? Or will you always be able to extract a $5 - $7K premium for the PCCB's and the "Launch Edition" cache?

I'm more in the former camp - i.e., LE C2S owners are going to be faced with steeper depreciation curves than other C2S owners as I ultimately see pricing converging - but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Mind you, I'm talking about two - three years, not 12 - 15 years, by which time I recognize prices will be much tighter.

Rasta - I agree with you, but most bought the launch edition because they wanted the new 997S and wanted it "NOW". I'm the same way with computer equipment. I actually think the cost of the PCCB's will be lost, especially for the near future, just not enough of an upgrade for the added cost, even if you only try and get 3-4K extra over the same car w/o them. Add to that the replacement cost (no clue, been tossed out at over $10K) and it is even more unattractive to the average used P-Car buyer.

Just my $.02
Old 01-29-2005, 11:30 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are NO unique options on the "Launch Edition" 997's.
They are just highly optioned, nothing special.
The option that really pushed the price up was PCCB.

There is no srecial cachet to these, perhaps if they had a Special color or equipment ala 40th or Millennium, perhaps
Old 01-29-2005, 02:44 PM
infestation
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, MJones.

Before making my purchase, I was well aware that when I trade my car it probably won't be worth any other 997s with similar mileage--that's just the way it works. Also, my dealer gave me an *awesome* deal on a trade; otherwise, I would have waited for a 997s with reds. However, the dealer more than made up the cost of the ceramics to me, so I pulled the trigger. For me, it was a matter of finding the right deal with the right terms. And, I also knew from the 40th 996, that buying a special ed. is an impulse, in-your-heart kind of buy and not the kind of buy you make if you want an appreciating asset. Very few cars are.

Also, as Gary R. points out, replacement costs for the ceramics are still huge and there is no guarantee that replacement costs will come down. I'll replace my pads when need be; however, if I reach the point when the rotors need to be replaced and the cost is still astronomically high, I'll simply switch to steel.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

As far as resale, I see negative value in a launch car. I would not buy a new launch car or a used launch car.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:22 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is a launch car would trade at around what other "S's" are selling for and given a choice someone would select the LE because of a few more bells and whistles. It might end up being a wash because of LE stigma. In the end it'd be like adding upgrades, there nice but you won't necessarily get more for 'em when it's time to sell.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing special about the launch cars.

in fact, the so called 'special edition' cars, like the 550 boxster, C4 millenium, or 40th 911, have very similar residuals with their counterparts. porsche barely knows how to keep residuals up these days (or dont care) , probably the latter.

Quick Reply: Will Launch Edition Cars Always Command A Premium?