Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem exsists in not just the 997 based cars. The issue is with a run in production of engine case's that were installed in 997, 987 and '05 996 based cars. At the dealer where I am employed we are checking the affected sports cars we receive during the PDI process to identify units in need of repair before they are sold.

BTW, be glad you did not buy one of a 1600 car range of the 05 Cayenne S!
Old 01-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pedsurg, I do agree that this is a good thing. It's nice that Porsche caught it, and are voluntarilly fixing it.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you honestly expect? Just because you pay 80,000? Just cause you pay 400,000? These cars run differently than other cars. They run HOT, they use different materials, and need to be able to handle extreme tolerances. Why do some people carry fire extinguishers in our cars? Its not AS BIG an issue with the Germans, but the Italians sure have the problem. How many times where you worried about your Honda catching fire under normal running conditions? On how many cars does the temperature gauge NORMALLY move around. The very nature of our vehicles is why we cannot have the same gaurantee as any other car.

Its nice to never have issues. Its nice to get in my car and do what i please. Thats why i pay and thats what i want. Its what ide LIKE to expect, but i feel that is not completely fair.

If i clear my trip meter while i am driving it breaks. It therefore cannot serve its main purpose if i want to use it for calculating where i am on trips. That is rediculous. On any price car. Saying Porsche is going down the tubes doesn't help me any. What do i do? I dont press the switch while driving.
Knowing you may have certain problems, expect them, and when they occur, handle them. Whether its through warranty/dealership, or a new fix discovered on the boards, etc... If the Porsche is your only car, you might need to reconsider and have something else available so when your car does brake, as they often do, you wont have a problem.

Its funny, buying an old Porsche, everyone says, watch out they have costs! Put aside 3000 - 4000 a year for maintenance. Why can't that apply for new cars?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone have an idea of what V.I.N. or build dates are affected?
I am about to buy a new 997 and would like to know which cars are affected.
The car I am looking at is on the showroom floor.

Last edited by Brian E; 01-30-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Biran, I'm assuming that since they caught it, any Porsche produced from here on out will have it fixed...
Old 01-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

The problem is 1mm. That's right 1mm. Somehow during machining of the case it was off by 1mm and depending on the measurements taken at two points on the case, the repair procedure can be one of four (IIRC). The primary check is done by removing the oil filter and measuring the distance from the edge of the case to the end of the threads where the oil filter housing screws in. If the measured distance is good then nothing else needs to be done. If not then the trans comes out and a second measurement is taken on the back of the case.

Not ever car that the recall is issued on will have a problem. We have checked three or four 987's and all have been OK.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:45 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

I've owned 5 Porsches, never raced one of them, but just love the driving experience, the sound, the looks, the smell, everything about them. If that makes me a poseur, so be it. Poseurs unite! Stand up and say it with me "I'm a poseur, and I don't give a s**t!"
Old 01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I'm a Porschephile, and I"m DAMN proud... (not a Poseur, a "racer" )

But IMHO, I think that since you guys are here and willing to learn about your cars, you're not poseurs. If a person bought one because they wanted to get a car that'd out-do they're neighbor's Boxster, they're poseurs.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:25 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Funny there is no press release of this problem?

However, the only press release is this................which is very contrary to the defects reported via recall notices to 997 owners.

A quote from the release:

" For us, this result is the reward for and proof of our efforts to enhance quality over the past few years. Our aim is to ensure a high standard of quality not only in production, but also to lay the groundwork for a high-quality product as early as in the development phase," said Wolfgang Dürheimer, member of the Executive Board of Management for Research and Development, with regard to the performance of the brand based in Zuffenhausen near Stuttgart"

Here it is;

http://www3.uk.porsche.com/english/g...05-01-26-1.htm
Old 01-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by pcar964

I won't even start with the crap "PCCB brakes" that aren't trackworthy either (there's a reason you don't see them used in racing), or the fact that you CAN'T switch off the PSM (yeah there's an off button, but when you cross a certain threshhold it turns itself back on - SURPRISE!), or how about the variable ratio steering gimmick... the list goes on.
"Porsche" is a company I do not respect. They have the ability to be great like they once were, but instead all they see is the short-term profits they can make. But I have news for the bean counters, you'll be out of a job when the honeymoon is over, and people begin to realize that the name "Porsche" no longer stands for quality, it stands for compromise.

Hopefully Porsche will get the message before it's too late.

Greg
I've already made the jump to another car mfg.

Here's what caused me to jump.

* spec an GT2
* had concerns that would require PCNA / PAG
to go an extra mile to correct.
* they chose to save $$$

One year later, I wanted another second car..tested the Porsche truck- loved it...but remember the so, so customer relations ... made a decision to buy else where- Audi S/4 as the daily driver - still have my GT2
Old 01-31-2005, 12:03 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I do track my car and drive it daily, like somebody else said, I also could have bought a GT3, but I didn't. I need a back seat, I couldn't have a car that I couldn't carry my kids around in, just not for me. Hmmm.....retrofit backseats in a 997GT3, there's an idea!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:25 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Chris Prack - while I wait to see if I get a recall notice for my 997S, what's up with the 1,600 run of '05 Cayenne S's? Do you have VIN's for the affected cars?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:31 AM
Robbo 66
Intermediate

Some people need to get out more.
How sad is t to go 'off the wall' at a recall letter. I agree that it's an inconvenience, but the incessant nasal whinning is even more irritating. The reason for many recall's is probably the blind fear of the manufacturers that they will be litigated by some techno geek stating the ash tray squeaked causing an irreversible mental trauma.
1mm here....1 mm there, RMS....on and on...get out there and enjoy the car and the rest of your life and realise life isn't perfect.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:32 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Blue S2
What do you honestly expect? Just because you pay 80,000? Just cause you pay 400,000? These cars run differently than other cars. They run HOT, they use different materials, and need to be able to handle extreme tolerances. Why do some people carry fire extinguishers in our cars? Its not AS BIG an issue with the Germans, but the Italians sure have the problem. How many times where you worried about your Honda catching fire under normal running conditions? On how many cars does the temperature gauge NORMALLY move around. The very nature of our vehicles is why we cannot have the same gaurantee as any other car.

Its nice to never have issues. Its nice to get in my car and do what i please. Thats why i pay and thats what i want. Its what ide LIKE to expect, but i feel that is not completely fair.

If i clear my trip meter while i am driving it breaks. It therefore cannot serve its main purpose if i want to use it for calculating where i am on trips. That is rediculous. On any price car. Saying Porsche is going down the tubes doesn't help me any. What do i do? I dont press the switch while driving.
Knowing you may have certain problems, expect them, and when they occur, handle them. Whether its through warranty/dealership, or a new fix discovered on the boards, etc... If the Porsche is your only car, you might need to reconsider and have something else available so when your car does brake, as they often do, you wont have a problem.

Its funny, buying an old Porsche, everyone says, watch out they have costs! Put aside 3000 - 4000 a year for maintenance. Why can't that apply for new cars?

What I expect, Blue S2, is that if I pay $80k for a sportscar, from a self-proclaimed race-bred manufaturer, that I won't end up having to replace a whole damn ENGINE when I take it to the track, because it lost oil pressure during mid-corner. I expect higher maintenance costs than a normal car - I SHOULDN'T have to expect to pay $25G when my engine bites the dust on the track because of an INHERENT DESIGN WEAKNESS (wet sump I'm talking here) that the factory knows about, but chose to go with anyway to lower costs.

I mean, how many of us buying $80k cars are expecting to get a product where they cut corners to save money? How much should we have to spend now to get a no compromises sportscar? I guess the answer is $110k for a GT3. Actually, wait - make that $70k for a Corvette Z06... NOW do you guys see my point? When the answer to that fundamental question becomes a Vette instead of a Porsche, that should be all the warning we need as pcar enthusiasts, that something has changed dramatically... for the worse.

Greg
Old 01-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Wet sump was kinda surprising. ALL 911s up to the 996 dry sump weren't they?

Quick Reply: 997 recall