Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 05:13 PM
jboyko
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a new engine at 4159, and now a RMS at 6360, I completely agree.

Loser car.

jb
Old 02-09-2005, 09:10 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jboyko
With a new engine at 4159, and now a RMS at 6360, I completely agree.

Loser car.

jb
I can't imagine how mad I would be if my new Porsche needed a new engine and then a RMS with the new engine at just 6k miles - I'm madder than hell just reading about it happening to someone else. Have you thought about turning it back in and saying "I'm not paying for this, I want a refund"???
Old 02-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Speed
Pro

Default RMS Leak

Originally Posted by Powderdtoastman
With 2500 miles on my Carrera S, we had the RMS replaced with no problems at Newport Beach Porsche.
I'd be interested in knowing how you discovered the RMS problem. My '02 996 had the RMS replaced at 15k mi because the dealer discovered it when I brought the car in for its scheduled service. The 997's don't have their first scheduled service until 20k mi. so what should we look for in the interim?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:26 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 541 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
I'd be interested in knowing how you discovered the RMS problem. My '02 996 had the RMS replaced at 15k mi because the dealer discovered it when I brought the car in for its scheduled service. The 997's don't have their first scheduled service until 20k mi. so what should we look for in the interim?
Some people have found a puddle of oil under their car. I am pretty dissapointed in hearing this problem still occurs on this new 997, talks so far indicate the new 997 GT3 will have the 3.8L motor found in the 997S and be tuned to pump out 400hp, on a car like the GT3 people will not want to deal with RMS problems, especially those who push them hard at the track, thats what makes the 996 GT3 so desireable.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Two different issue's are being confused here.

1) leaking RMS. bottom of engine and trans have build up of grease. possibly a few oil drips on ground.

2) dreaded broken intermediate shaft. unhealthy noise in engine. driver shuts off and engine begins to puke oil under car, maybe 5-6 quarts.

never seen a RMS bad enough (in recent years) to leave a puddle but don't doubt that atleast one person has had it happen.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:35 AM
jboyko
Intermediate

On my way home from work on Thursday the 26th of November the service light came on. I thought that it was an electrical gremlin, since everything seemed to work and sound normal. I went to a funeral on Friday, and the car stalled out on me twice. My thoughts were to bring the car in on Monday, but when I got gas that day the service light went off. I drove the car locally over the weekend, and the only thing that seemed different was the occasional louder sound that seemed to stem from the resonator. The car ran well since the new tank of gas, but I felt that it would be wise to bring it in when service light returned on Tuesday evening. When I drove to work on Wednesday, the intermediate shaft broke, and the car ran on 3 cylinders at 10 mph, while I limped 2 miles to the dealer. It wasn't until later that night, that I noticed 3 - 4 small drops of oil on my garage floor. Porsche took 20 days to install a new engine, and since then I have been monitoring the floor for oil drops. When I noticed a few drops of oil, I made an appointment with the dealer, that then made the diagnosis of a RMS.

In the opinion of those with knowledge, could the few initial drops of oil be a result of the RMS, the Intermediate shaft, or both. While the current drops of oil have been diagnosed as the RMS, should I be concerned that the drops may really be a prelude to another Intermediate shaft failure.

thanks,

jb
Old 02-10-2005, 06:49 PM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

JB, maybe this thread applies to your initial problem:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/183578-997-recall-update.html

From this, some say the RMS leaks and intermediate shaft are unrelated.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Oil drops on the floor could be the RMS, oil leaking from the intermediate shaft bearing cover seal or in some case's the casehalf bolts. The failure of the intermediate shaft is unrelated to an oil leak. On the other hand the proceedure for replacement of the intermediate shaft bearing cover requires only 12nm of torque on the shaft retaining nut. I have seen failure's that I believe were caused by overtightening of the shaft nut, thus stretching the threads and setting the plate for disaster. But that is just my personal belief.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:17 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Chris, any thoughts on type 2 over revs? Porsche is claiming abuse and voiding a warranty over this.....
Old 02-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Powderdtoastman
7th Gear

The dealer did not give any reason for the RMS problem that I had but did not hesitate to fix the problem. The way that I discovered the problem was a puddle of oil on the ground in the garage and excessive oil consumption of 1.5 quarts in 2500 miles or so.

I drive the car very hard so my porsche is subjected to race-like abuse about every month and for extended durations. That might be a reason.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Powderdtoastman
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
Chris, any thoughts on type 2 over revs? Porsche is claiming abuse and voiding a warranty over this.....
Whats a type 2 over rev?
Old 02-11-2005, 12:37 AM
infestation
Instructor

I've been waiting to post an update; however, I have put nearly 1,000 miles on my car since the RMS fix, and I have had no subsequent leaks whatsoever.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Wow! what an interesting thread.
Sorry to hear about you 997 guys. I guess I would be rubbing it in if I said I told you so.

My incredible piece of German engineering has had a new gearbox at my expense and 7 RMS replacements. Not bad for a £60,000 car.

The 7th RMS stopped leaking all on its lonesome about 5000 miles back. I get under the car and check it daily. When you buy a luxury sports car with the Porsche badge, you expect to spend your ownership days looking for leaks, listeniong for bangs and cracks. Sleepless nights and empty bank accounts are part of the Porsche Driving experience for out pf warranty 996's.

But I still love my 996. It;s the best Porsche I have owned (driving that is). I will keep this for as long as I can afford to keep it. But I would "NEVER EVER" buy a new porsche. Especially be a Guinee PIG (spell?) for a new model.

I am tentativly bookked to have the 8th RMS done in March. But if it remains leak free I will obviously cancel this.

Fingers crossed
Old 01-23-2006, 01:06 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scouser
Wow! what an interesting thread.
Sorry to hear about you 997 guys. I guess I would be rubbing it in if I said I told you so.

My incredible piece of German engineering has had a new gearbox at my expense and 7 RMS replacements. Not bad for a £60,000 car.

The 7th RMS stopped leaking all on its lonesome about 5000 miles back. I get under the car and check it daily. When you buy a luxury sports car with the Porsche badge, you expect to spend your ownership days looking for leaks, listeniong for bangs and cracks. Sleepless nights and empty bank accounts are part of the Porsche Driving experience for out pf warranty 996's.

But I still love my 996. It;s the best Porsche I have owned (driving that is). I will keep this for as long as I can afford to keep it. But I would "NEVER EVER" buy a new porsche. Especially be a Guinee PIG (spell?) for a new model.

I am tentativly bookked to have the 8th RMS done in March. But if it remains leak free I will obviously cancel this.

Fingers crossed
You are a patient, well balanced man. I'd have given up on mine after the 3rd.

BTW, is it correct that "Scouse" is the name of the accent of Liverpooleans?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Correct! And a person born in Liverpool is a Scouser and I was born in a house in Penny Lane.

But for those of you in the UNIX/Linux business...... I am also known to be a "SCO User". The Magic in The Garden can be explained

Quick Reply: RMS Update