Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 07:02 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know more people with newer 996's that have had RMS than people with early models......lets find the logic in that.....
Old 01-28-2005, 07:05 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It's becoming clear that Porsche's focus on short term profitability will be its downfall, which spells a grim future for the company and is extremely disappointing for some of us that are long time devotees of the marque.
Urrrr,

Somehow I don't think so..... There are many people who would buy a Porsche for it's past reputation and image. The Rennlist group are well informed group of people but are only a small minority of Porsche owners. Even those on the Rennlist aren't put off by the problems posted about the 997. I doubt very much that they will go down unless the economy does a major nose dive. Alan, you bought a 997 didn't you?

Harry
Old 01-28-2005, 07:12 PM
demi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
I know more people with newer 996's that have had RMS than people with early models......lets find the logic in that.....
Hm, I don't see your point, Robert. And hopefully all of the complaining from the faithful will light a fire under some asses over at Porsche. That's how we wound up with a 997 that looks more like a 993, n'est-ce pas? They will notice once sales start dropping off perhaps.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:16 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

How many 996's have they sold so far???????/ How bout tons.......... I don't see sales falling off anytime soon for them...I wish they would do something about it but oh well....
Old 01-28-2005, 08:35 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

How many 996's have they sold so far???????/ How bout tons.......... I don't see sales falling off anytime soon for them...I wish they would do something about it but oh well....
Porsche has had record profits recently, but that is NOT due to 996 sales - the Cayenne is currently the top-selling Porsche, and after that comes Boxster. The 996s sales have been down since introduction, and the model represents less than a 3rd of Porsche sales for last year.

Emanuel
Old 01-28-2005, 09:11 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How many 996's have they sold so far???????/

About 160,000 last time I checked. Therefore, the owners represented in these forum are not even a pimple on the but as far as accurate representation of the good or the bad in these cars.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:09 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STRSHP
As a lurker from from the 996 board, I can only provide one small ray of hope. My 99 C2 was in for its 45k service and I asked for Sonnen to look at the RMS. Of course it was leaking. There is some history with the car with PCNA (track use, if you get my drift, heh heh) and I was convinced they would tell me I had to fix it myself. Instead they just stepped up and fixed it. This may mean there is a general non-verbal at PCNA that says to keep fixing under warranty. Got a new 2 yr guarantee, so in Dec of 06, I will be back for another RMS at their cost.
how'd you get a 2 year guarantee? this is only for parts and labor PURCHASED whereas stuff done under warranty expires with the car's warranty - unless you received some sort of special warranty.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:17 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'm shocked that some people here find this to be acceptable. Porsche built its reputation on building sports cars with fantastic performance that were also reliable. When compared to less expensive cars with equal or better performance, Porsche has been able to justify premium prices because of higher quality and better resale value as a result of said quality and long term reliability. It's becoming clear that Porsche's focus on short term profitability will be its downfall, which spells a grim future for the company and is extremely disappointing for some of us that are long time devotees of the marque.
Check the reliability of ANY premium car maker and you'll quickly notice that Porsche is among the more reliable car in its price range. If you haven't noticed, Porsche has never carried a particularly low maintenance cost and I fail to see why you're somehow shocked and predicting company-wide doom now that you're all of a sudden a new driver.

Everyone seems to love to get on their high horse about reliability and quality - Especially those that don't even own the car. This isn't some new phenomena that is only on Porsche forums; it's every major car forum. Go to any one of them and you'll find some sort of reaccuring issue that certain members have blown up to the proportion of an unfixable, terminal defect.

The fact remains that the 997 is one of the most solidly built cars you can buy for the money. The finish of the paint, the interior trim, and the overall solid feeling of the car are unparalleled by anything I've ever owned.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who really keeps these cars for 6-10 years?
Uhhh...I do.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:15 AM
infestation
Instructor

I will definitely say that I'm not happy about the RMS issue being continued on the 997; however, based on what other owners of previous 911s report, it's not unreasonable to spend some money on maintenance. I know that. And, I knew that before I purchased the car.

I'll drive this car until the warranty is about to expire, and then I will look into an extended warranty or trade it on something else. Until I reach that point, though, I intend to enjoy the car. I'm not excusing Porsche of not correcting an issue that most say should have been corrected; I'm just choosing to focus on the elements that might make this car superior to the other choices out there. My dealer took care of me and I'm back driving the car every day now. If this car is as strong as it is today in four years--when I estimate I will reach the 50,000 mile point--then, I'll keep it, like Anir (by the way, Anir, with the 993tt, you really do have the ultimate p-car!).
Old 01-29-2005, 02:19 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Will someone that lives in the USA that has had an RMS leak please take 5 minutes of their time to file a complaint form at the FTC? I realize that the majority of Porsche owners are rabid right-wing republicans that believe government has no business in helping people but in this one case just pretend for one moment that they just might be able to do something. It only took one complaint for the EPA to start asking questions about 993 SAI emission issues and who knows, they might actually force Porsche to do something.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:38 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Will someone that lives in the USA that has had an RMS leak please take 5 minutes of their time to file a complaint form at the FTC? I realize that the majority of Porsche owners are rabid right-wing republicans that believe government has no business in helping people but in this one case just pretend for one moment that they just might be able to do something. It only took one complaint for the EPA to start asking questions about 993 SAI emission issues and who knows, they might actually force Porsche to do something.

Maybe those "rabid right-wing republicans" beleive in the free market and are not so lazy to ask for a hand out everytime something in their life goes wrong. The power you have is not to ever buy another Porsche again. Call Michael Moore, maybe he will help you.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:39 PM
infestation
Instructor

We do have the choice to buy and not to be, and the Internet, in many ways, has transformed the buying experience--more than ever before, we can shop for the best price along with the best trade in, and we can also do more research about potential purchases. Before buying a 997, I was well aware of everything that had been said about the 996, the potentialities of the 997, and the problems owners have experienced on the various 911 models. Needless to say, I took the plunge. However, I made a choice to and I'm happy with my choice. But, I still did choose.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

All I am trying to say is that if you want to keep a car to race, track or whatever you will have to spend a lot of money on it one way or another.

If you are in the rare minority of keeping a car for 10 years or more than I guess you better buy a gt3...
Wrong, Robert...I have a 2002 M3 that I bought new in October 2001 that has seen extensive track time at zero cost to me (other than tires and entry fees). BMW covers brakes and servicing, and the car has been 100% reliable.

And one shouldn't have to buy a $100k+ GT3 to get into a reliable Porsche these days.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RS man
I doubt very much that they will go down unless the economy does a major nose dive. Alan, you bought a 997 didn't you?
I leased a 997. There is no way I'd buy a Porsche 911 built after 1998 (or, as I said, a Boxster).

Right now Porsche is still riding on its old reputation. They have clearly cut costs and are not building cars with the same philosophy as they once did. Surprisingly, even though a couple long-term magazine test cars have had RMS failures, there has been no mainstream press on how widespread the problem is.

Reputations are easily tarnished. There is a lot of competition in the market. If the general public finds out that the purchase of a new (or used) Boxster or 911 may require multiple engine replacements, they will look elsewhere for their image machines.

Quick Reply: RMS Update