TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ptoaster, take it to the dealer pronto, you have an RMS
Old 01-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Powderdtoastman
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an appointment for monday at the dealer. How long should I expect to have the car in for the RMS?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:15 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I am becoming very pessimistic on this RMS issue. I have a build date of April. This is my first Porsche; supposedly my dream car. A white 997 S Cabriolet with sport chrono. I ordered this car with the thought of precision, and quality. I hope that between now and April I do not hear more about this problem. If it continues and Porsche doesn't correct this problem in production I may have to tender the thougth of walking away from my order and deposit. It would be very depressing. I thought the "P" in Porsche stood for perfection. I guess I was wrong.
Jay.

PS: Powdertoastman it sounds to me like you do have a RMS leak. Have it checked and get back to the forum. This inherent problem has to be taken care of now.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:06 AM
infestation
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poweredtoastman, I was told the fix takes about 8 hours or so. Technically, if you schedule ahead of time, you could probably take the car in first thing in the morning and then pick it up at the end of the day. I just got a loaner from the dealer and picked my car up when it was ready.

DJ23, I know that for some the RMS issue has resulted in an engine replacement--it seems, though, that for the majority of owners the issue has not (That's just based off of browsing the 996 forum for quite some time, so some other owners might want to chime in if I'm wrong.). I would go to your local dealership and talk to the head mechanic and see what that person has to say. Or, even call Porsche. You need to do whatever you can so that you have peace of mind, regardless of whether or not you buy the car.

On my own car, I've taken it in a few times for a few issues, including the RMS (at about 7,300 miles); however, in my opinion, the car is rock solid. I've put several hundred miles on it in the last week and it is bone dry. I'm glad I bought this car and, if I could hypothetically go back in time, I would still make the same decision.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:01 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for the advice Austin. I have contacted my sales rep and asked him to investigate this issue. I am still looking forward to driving in my new cab. I can't wait to see it. I only hope that everthing goes flawless. When he gets back to me I will give you an update as to what new information he may have. Keep me posted as to how your repair is going. I wish you the best with your new track star.
Jay.

Quick Reply: Any Oil Leak or Other Issues?