Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose- Is it worth it ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Jared W.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bose system is pretty good for a "stock" system. It is true that you can get better sound from an aftermarket system, but do you really want to rip out either the nav or the "nav look alike stereo" in your dash to put in a stereo that doesnt really fit? I was saving the Mcintosh system from my 964 for my 997 (next year maybe) but once I learned the non-nav looks just like the nav, I decided it wasn't worth ripping the car apart and putting in some sort of spacer to make it work. Bose is good enough, and yes, quite a bit better than the base system.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:26 AM
Robbo 66
Intermediate

Very interesting. I'm a bit of an audiophile, having spent a few years building up to a good system for the home ( chord amps/CD Blu/Digi Converter etc), but have yet to be 'won over' by ICE of any sort.
I had a Turbo from new, and can't even remember whether it had bose or not.
As for resale, and having been lucky enough to have several 911's, VERY little actually helps re-sale apart form PCM, Phone and a decent colour. The rest is just personal tatse, as for many the 911 is enough.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:05 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

The Bose system is incredible. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy. The weight difference between that the Bose system brings is not an issue. Yes, the 997 is a sports car, but with that mentality we might as well through out the carpet, rear seats, a/c, and stock stereo system.

Last edited by riotgear; 01-17-2005 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:47 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

I can tell you that in my 996, the "Premium" sound system broke twice in the first 6 months of ownership. I finally replaced it with an Eclipse/Canton aftermarket setup. I have the Bose system in my Audi and GMC. Why I didn't get it in my Porsche is beyond me. My next P-car WILL have the Bose system. The Porsche system just plain sucks.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:14 AM
CO997
Racer

I have the base system in my 997 and that has been my biggest regret. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and the stereo is ok, but now that I've heard the bose system, I'm really regretting not getting it.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:42 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My reply is probably going to upset a few people... But here is an audiophile's prespective.

In the audiophile community, Bose is not well respected- their stuff sounds better than a clock radio or the speakers on your TV, but it is not considered "the best", accurate, or even marginally good. Bose is often considered a marketing company that has somehow convinced you to pay $1900 for something that can be matched for $300 well-spent otherwise. Ever notice that they don't publish frequency specifications, unlike just about every other consumer audio company? If you associate Bose with the sentences "how do they get all that sound from those tiny speakers" and "they invest a lot in research", then their marketing has been successful on you. (They actually spend more on marketing than research, and I am told more on marketing than all other US audio companies combined.) If you are really curious what many audiophiles think of Bose, go to the "Bose FAQ" at http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html.

That said, it may be the case that the Bose system for automobiles is not too bad. Maybe this is the noise cancellation, or maybe the base system is even worse, or maybe it really is good! Personally I don't know, becaue I haven't compared yet. But don't assume that the Bose option is the best just because of the brand name. One can likely do a lot better with aftermarket systems, probably without spending too much (albeit "too much" being a subjective quantity among audiophiles!!!).

Ideally you would try out both the Bose and Standard systems, each for a several hour drive, using both your favorite driving music and your favorite general music. Favorite driving music because you will likely listen to different music in the car than at home. Favorite music since you know your favorite music well and will be able to recongize any changes or inaccuracies. Listen while driving so you can test the noise cancellation. Listen analytically and then listen emotionally. Listen long enough to make sure you aren't wowed by a system that sounds good for a few minutes and then fatigues your ears. At the very least, sit in each car at the dealer for a good 20-30 minutes, trying out cuts from several different CDs.

Personally, when I purchase my 997 Targa (well, if they actually make one) I will most likely opt for the base system and install something aftermarket, perhaps McIntosh (which looks cooler than Bose, BTW). But I will give the Bose system a listen just to make sure...

Cheers!

Geof
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geof
My reply is probably going to upset a few people... But here is an audiophile's prespective.

In the audiophile community, Bose is not well respected- their stuff sounds better than a clock radio....
Geof
I have a Bose in my Audi TT Roadster and it includes the subwoofer installation. I share your opinions about Bose.

That said... if I had the choice and really wanted good sound in a Porker, I would get the Mark Levinson gear used by Lexus. This is real audiophile gear and the sound is much better than Bose.

In my P however, the 3.8 liter symphony is all I need.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:22 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When the Porsche is sitting silent in the driveway, listen to a CD, it's not too bad.

Once the engine is fired up and your out on the motorway, the whole equation of listening is changed, and you will never get the same quality of sound, due to the external noise influences, engine, tire and wind noises.

The face is that a Porsche is not vault quiet when running (no car is) and comparisons to a Lexus, frankly are a joke.
I do believe that the in car audio systems are engineered for the cabin for which they are designed, and do quite a respectable job of reproducing quality sound, particurly at rest.
What aftermarket systems are engineered for the cabin environment for which they are placed? I beleive it is more for the owners ego, so it can be said that listen to my super duper system that has a gazillion watts of power....sold by someone with no audio engineering background.

Bottom line its a Porsche on the road with a lot of other sound influences that are near to impossible to overcome, and when you are driving, are you really listening?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:52 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by MJones
Once the engine is fired up and your out on the motorway, the whole equation of listening is changed, and you will never get the same quality of sound, due to the external noise influences, engine, tire and wind noises.

Bottom line its a Porsche on the road with a lot of other sound influences that are near to impossible to overcome, and when you are driving, are you really listening?
Well, that's just it. At home I have a $50,000 audiophile quality system (Theta, Ayre, ProAc). I don't really care to spend a lot on an aftermarket system for a car. At home I want high fidelity for sitting in a comfy chair with a scotch and Yo Yo Ma. In a car I just want something that works and doesn't completely offend the senses. Nothing is going to sound good in a car IMHO. My problem with the Porsche CD23 system is that, in my car, it broke twice. I just want something that works. I haven't had any problems with the Bose systems in other cars so from now on I'll get the Bose in Porsches. Do I think I'm getting it because it's audiophile quality? Of course not.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:27 PM
nicoff
Racer

I doubt that ANY audio system in a P-car will ever equal the sound of truly high-end audiophile home system. Too much road/wind/engine noise will make sure that you will not be able to come close to replicating that high-end audio experience.

Will a Bose system be better than a regular or premium P-system? It should be. Enough to warrant over a premium over one grand? That will depend on the individual.

I think that if you are an audiophile with a home system worth tens of thousands of dollars, you will likely be content with either the P-car stereo or the Bose as long as they work. That is because you KNOW that neither system will be close to a true high-end sound. Once you get used to a near "perfect" sound, everything else will be just a regular stereo.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

The standard 997 stereo is surprisingly good for a base system. It's much better than the optional Harmon Kardon system in my BMW.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

nicoff: I think that if you are an audiophile with a home system worth tens of thousands of dollars, you will likely be content with either the P-car stereo or the Bose as long as they work. That is because you KNOW that neither system will be close to a true high-end sound. Once you get used to a near "perfect" sound, everything else will be just a regular stereo.

Alan Smithee: The standard 997 stereo is surprisingly good for a base system.

Agree w/ both.

Quick Reply: Bose- Is it worth it ??