Sponsored by:

Phone compatibility with 997?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Wax
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phone compatibility with 997?

Hey all! Glad i finally found a forum for my wonderful new 997 carrera s!! yay! bmw-forums doesnt work sooo good with porsche... heheh. Well I had a quick ? for all of experts out there.... I currently have a verizon phone and Im getting a new one and I'm wondering which phones r compatible with the 997...? Does anyone have any idea which phones offered by verizon will work (i hope its not the sim switch thingy, cause tdma makes me sad...)
Old 01-02-2005, 06:03 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome!

See your dealer about a Porsche Cell Solution
Two options
One that uses a cradle for your phone
#2 is the GSM phone module that uses a SIM card with your PCM and 8w power
Old 01-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Wax
2nd Gear

yay thx!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:18 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

Still no Bluetooth in the 997.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:40 AM
pnoble
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wax,

Your Verizon phone is CDMA. You would need to open a separate account with a GSM carrier: Cingular or T-Mobile.

Porsche's current approach to phone integration is silly and impractical, especially so if you live in the USA and have Verizon or Sprint as a carrier.

The obvious solution is Bluetooth integration and I 'm sure Porsche will provide at some point. Why they failed to introduce with their new model in mid-2004 probably speaks to the fact that they are in automotive terms a 'boutique' manufacturer dependent on a third party vendor for their telematics.

My 997S is an October build and it doesn't even have the slot for the GSM SIM card on the PCM facia. Production a week later than mine does. They literally changed the PCM mold after 90 days in production. Shows you how little control Porsche has over their vendors.

But I wouldn't anyhow pay nearly $1,000 for Porsche's current half-arsed phone integration.

My suggestion: buy a Bluetooth enabled Verizon phone and use with a Bluetooth cordless earpiece for now. If/when they introduce Bluetooth integration you will be ready. I believe third parties already offer this option but I would wait for Porsche myself.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone from 996 board said this motorola
aftermarket system has been successfully
installed on several 997's (sorry, wish I had
more verifiable info on the good 997 installs)

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin...8596&type=All#

anyone else have knowledge of this?

Last edited by stan523; 01-03-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

With Verizon, you're basically out of luck for an integrated phone system. Blame them, not Porsche...Verizon's CDMA network is unique to the US...GSM is what you'll find throughout Europe and most of the world. And even if Porsche had a Bluetooth feature, Verizon only has one phone that is advertised as Bluetooth compatible (Motorola V710), but in reality it has very limited Bluetooth capability. It's a POS phone in other areas as well.

I will say that Porsche's approach with the SIM card slot in the dash (our October build 997 does have it) appears tedious, requiring dismantling of the phone upon entry and exit of the car, which also prohibits continuous conversation. Bluetooth would have been a more practical application.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:13 PM
pnoble
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Alan,

Too true about the one Verizon Bluetooth phone currently available, but a) the USA represents over 40% of Porsche's global sales, b) CDMA has over 50% market share in the USA and c) Japan has no GSM and also represents a significant market for Porsche, and d) even if you have GSM service, the two SIM approach or swapping the SIM back and forth, is innane.

Bluetooth isn't perfect because of poor standardization and implementation, but it sure beats Porsche's current approach and is being adopted by virtually every auto manufacturer.

PS: my 997S was I think an October first week build and doesn't have the SIM slot or SOS button. Insane. I can only imagine the cost for a second facia mold - within 90 days of introduction.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Look into getting the Verizon Motorola v710 (bluetooth) (I like mine a lot),

& either get used to using a bluetooth wireless headset which works quite well & comfortably or get the aftermarket Motorola Bluetooth Car Kit

& install it on the vehicle. This will not work through dash display as the PORSCHE SIM system would. The Motorola car kit will, however, will work wirelessly, in a speakerphone fashion, with your just setting the phone down in the vehicle allowing you to drive without any physical attention to the phone, using voice commands only. LOL

P.S. Get the v710 on a 15 day trial from Verizon & judge for yourself if you like the phone. I'm a bit of a cell phone nut & I never got better reception in known fringe areas than with this phone.

Quick Reply: Phone compatibility with 997?