Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stick vs. Manumatic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 12:42 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm coming over to Porsche because BMW is going only SMG in the future, went in a design direction I don't care for (have to like how the car looks to buy it), is overcomplicating things (i-drive, i-headlamps, i-suspension, etc.). My 997 (or will it be a lightweight Boxster Coupe) will have a manual tranny.

Yes, the SMG may do a perfect rev-match downshift, but the fun to me of driving the car is getting it right myself. I love being on the track at 10/10 and executing a perfect hell-toe downshift.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:54 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would much rather have a stick, but if you want to drive your Porsche daily in a grid locked city like Atlanta or any other big city, the Tiptronic is the only way to go. The more I learn how to use it, the more I understand just how good it is, even if it is old technology it can better my very best shifts to the point that almost no one driving a stick can keep up through the real twisties, withoout substanitally more grunt that is.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:32 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 931 Likes on 520 Posts

both BMW and Ferrari have commited to still offering a manual - but the trend is, that a smaller and smaller percentage of people are ordering them with a manual, once a semi-auto box is available. its not the manufacturers that are pushing this trend, its the people ordering the cars. If its good enough for Schumacher, its good enough for me.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:11 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recall hearing that Schumacher still prefers the manual. You can't deny the edge of an automatic clutch without torque converter in professional hands, but if you take a car that's rated say at a 4.8 0-60, I wonder how many street cars and amateurs would add significant time to that due to the driver's lack of skill. I respect the fact that people desire it, but I feel that much of this is about image. And I caution anyone who wants DSG etc. to really test it out before buying because you could wind up being disappointed.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:18 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
both BMW and Ferrari have commited to still offering a manual
Not so. BMW about 2 years ago announced that future M cars would no longer offer a manual shift - they would all be SMG. The reasons given had to do with removing the possibility of user error in blowing the engine - SMG will not allow a "money shift". Easier on the system, no arguments when somebody goes 5 to 2 instead of 5 to 4, etc.

The new M5 is proof that they are doing what they said. Only offered with a 7 speed SMG. The M6, which is right around the corner - same thing.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:51 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would have ordered, whichever is the fastest and most reliable. It makes no difference whether it is manual stick or F1-style paddle shifter. I'll take launch control, too, if Porsche offers it at a reasonable price. If it's good enough for F1, it's good enough for little, old, me.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Porsche had their version of the DSG gearbox, and it was reliable and fairly maintenance-free, I would definitely prefer it to the manual. I'm just afraid of more potential for breakdown. A manual clutch is a lot easier and cheaper to repair.

I don't need a clutch and a stick to enjoy a car however. I just need to feel in control, with whatever technology.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
The reasons given had to do with removing the possibility of user error in blowing the engine...
A conventional pattern in a 7-speed transmission would require four planes which would, no doubt, lead to some missed shifts. But the M5's 7-speed transmission won't work as a full manual primarily due to the arrangement of the gears in the box for strength and smoothness; there couldn't be a conventional pattern anyway.

Quick Reply: Stick vs. Manumatic?