Sponsored by:

997 S in shop for 7th time in 3 months!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 12:58 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry 997 S in shop for 7th time in 3 months!

I've kept quiet on this on rennlist so far, but I'm sick and tired of the problems that I'm having with this car, so I'm "going public". There are threads on rennteam.com about this subject, where others are having the same or similar problems, and I've chimed in there. Here's the latest:

got in my 997 S this morning for a nice drive to work only to be greeted yet again with the "System Fault Return to Workshop" message. This is the 7th or 8th time (I've lost track of the count) that it has been to the shop for the same problem, and it's well beyond ridiculous at this point. Can any one of you out there honestly say that I shouldn't be mad as hell at this point?

This is the worst new car ownership experience I've ever had, and that is absurd given the price of this car and all of the hype about Porsche quality. I could accept the car being in once for a computer glitch as it's a new model, but there is no way that it should have been in the shop this mahy times or for this many days over a 4 or more year period!

Right now I really hate this stupid car, and it pisses me off to even look at. Is anyone from PAG or PCNA reading this board? If so, do I need to pull the gloves off and get really nasty to make Porsche understand that this is not acceptable in any way, shape, or form?

Old 11-18-2004, 01:10 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip,

I'm sorry to hear about all of the problems you are having with your car. How many miles do you have on it so far and what was the milage when the warning light came on the first time. Fortunately, I have not had any problems with mine as of yet but I only have 2500 miles on it so far.

Sounds to me like you should starts threatening the "L" word on them. There is nothing that will get the attention of a dealer more than the Lemon Law.

Good luck,

Amir
Old 11-18-2004, 01:27 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip in Boulder
This is the worst new car ownership experience I've ever had, and that is absurd given the price of this car and all of the hype about Porsche quality.

WOW! those are strong words! I am suprised Porsche has not stepped up at the second vist within 3 months. You have certainly been more patient that I would have been for 4 visits in three months.

When my RMS seal went a year after the warrenty expired- I dropped the car off (early in the morning) at the dealership with a note telling them they could keep the car becuase it was trash and the title is in the arm rest. The service center called me when they arrived and asked me to come in an p/u a Cayenne loaner and they repaired my C4 for no-charge (in fact, I got a a new engine)!

I don't take any crap like that especially when we pay so much money for these Premium Sports Cars. JD Powers and associates has ranked the Porsche 911 #1 Premium Sports Car for four years in a row and in the Customer Satisfaction Survey Porsche is #2 among all marques, second only to Lexus for the last 3 years. I bet if PCNA knew you were about to upset Porsche's ranking within JDS they would be kissing your doorstep with a new ride!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:40 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

It's things like this that makes me think twice about buying one.. still researching though...
Old 11-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Sobe
Pro

I see on the Flat 6 board someone had their transmission replaced at 1500 miles ... I guess that with a car that has been completely been changed Porsche has got the customer beta testing a bit . After my 996 being such a disappointment and the 997 looking like it may have some problems make me wish I had kept my 993 C4 cab it was one of the last 993's ever made in 1998 . Hang in there Skip Porsche is usually pretty good about making things right.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:26 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sobe
...the 997 looking like it may have some problems make me wish I had kept my 993 C4 cab it was one of the last 993's ever made in 1998 . .
Maybe I will have to reconsider selling my car for the 997....
Old 11-18-2004, 03:52 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reality is that Porsche cars are NOT in the shop any longer than any other model, comparatively priced or not. Although we may THINK that is not the case b/c of the ridiculousness (word?) of a lot of theese posts in here that make it sound like the world is coming to an end.

If you want to chime, then chime, but dont sound like a crying baby to us.
Handle it with your dealer.
This forum is turning into a "cry on my shoulder, there there, it will be alright" - zone.
How old are we?

Johnathank 2000 do us all a favour and DONT BUY that 997.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:59 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Hey RR
Do us all a favor and become a paying member first before sounding like a bad ***.

Secondly, this is a "forum". Look this up in the dictionary and you'll find that the word means an "...open discussion". We are free to discuss whatever we like as long as it is about the subject matter, the 997.

You keep saying "US" and "WE".. WTF?!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:05 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RR, do you think that the experience I have had is reasonable for any car? I wouldn't expect the cheapest Hyundai to have problems like this. If you think I'm "whining", I suggest you think again about what it is that I've actually said. I've been more than patient with this, and no reasonable person can tell me that this is something that should be expected of any car. You're entitled to your opinions, but you're out of line if you think that my post is without warrant.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Forget dealers, you should have gone straight to PCNA after the second time. Get in contact with them. Let them know the situation and how the dealer has handled this. (obviously they havent)
They should be able to offer a remedy.

Dont expect PAG or PCNA to read the board...contact them directly. If PCNA wont offer assistance, contact Germany direct. Ive had to contact PCNA and they have always been extrememly helpful. It wasnt for a defect issue, but it would be hard to imagine them not stepping up in this situation.

Oh yeah, and even if your car NEVER ran, i dont think it could upset me to look at it! (if it was mine i mean!)
(i can understand how frusterated you must be though!)
Old 11-18-2004, 04:38 PM
tlark
Drifting

Skip, you have been more than patient with Porsche. If your car has had that many re-occuring problems I would think someone at the dealership should be going to bat for you. If not you certainly are warranted to start getting into someones a#$. Its not like your some smucko that bought his first Porsche. Ray Charles can see that by your web site and they need to be made aware of it!!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Skip,
Sorry to hear about your problems.

If you substitute 'Cayenne' for '997' in your post, you have my current situation. There have been a few people 'going publc' regarding Cayenne (S and Turbo) lately as well.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:46 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is "going public" the way you have done going to do for you?

If you are really serious about asking us for help or advice, you would tell us what the the dealer response was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th 7th, 8th time you were there.
There are so many things the code could mean. It may read. "Return to workshop" on the dash, but the mechanic/shop should be able to tell you exactly what was "out of whack" so to speak and then we could find out if it was re-ocurring, or whether it was another code re-ocurring.

Basically, "pulling the gloves off" and getting nasty and threatening the L word is not helping.
Ok so what, you threaten the Lemon Law, they will have to investigate anyways, what this re-occurring code fault was, so why not do it now and save yourself some time and money WITHOUT the gold digging lawyer.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Not surprised. My '99 996 Cab was in over three months at least twice as many times as I had one of the first airbag light problems, and no one knew how to fix it.

I hesitate to buy a first-model year production from Porsche ever again.

Get your dealership to contact the DSM for your area, setup the appointment, get on the phone, and get it resolved. It's ridiculous that PCNA cannot assist a dealership in resolving these problems.

It took me a letter to the chairman in Germany, and many phone calls to PCNA, and several sit-downs with the DSM to finally resolve the problems on my '99. They were not catastrophic, just aggravating. It was fine after that.

Best of luck.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-18-2004, 05:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RR
This forum is turning into a "cry on my shoulder, there there, it will be alright" - zone.
How old are we?
RR,
May I ask why you have such strong opinions on what this forum is turning into, considering you are not a Rennlist member?

BTW, I am 41.

Quick Reply: 997 S in shop for 7th time in 3 months!