Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997S is great but I'm beat up.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:22 PM
WayFast #85
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997S is great but I'm beat up.....

I picked up my 997S yesterday. In the first 1/2 hour driving home I felt completely beat up. I've owned a 964, 993 and a loud 911 race car. The interior noice and resonance of the exhaust was horrible. It was so bad that my inner ear was ringing and my head was pounding. The tires were also loud (Michelin's). When I hit a smooth spot in the road it got a little better. Turning on the Bose radio (an expensive option) made it worse. More noise. It felt as if the radio was being filtered through the exhaust. It wasn't a pleasant sound at all.

The Dealer called me on the way home and asked how it was going. The car itself was fantastic but I needed an asprin and 10 hours of sleep to be able to drive it again.

I hope the tires settle in and something happens to the exhaust note. If not I don' t think I can drive the car. Maybe it's just my car but Porsche has to fix it quickly. I'll have them check it underneath. Maybe it's a leak. Whatever it is it's terrible. Since no one has mentioned it (or no one has the courage to after spending $90K for a toy) I hope it's mine and I hope it can be fixed.

Ok, so I look cool and two guys already lined up at the stop light with me. I resisted and still keep it under the 4200 RPM for the break in period. Maybe the noise will break in too.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs down

Reads like a troll, smells like a troll... hey! maybe is a troll...

Old 11-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Serioulsy, I can't see how having the previous cars listed you can experience all that in the 997S... I have not driven one for more than two hours... but during those two hours I did (great folks here in Porsche of Orlando) the car was flawless and a sweet sweet ride...

I hope it all improves for you...
Old 11-12-2004, 11:34 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Better off the car, for it is what it is and will not be getting any better
Guess you just wasted $90k
Old 11-12-2004, 11:36 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give it back, you're clearly not worthy.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:49 PM
WayFast #85
Track Day

For all of you that made those insightful posts, thank you. Don't get me wrong. The car (every other detail) was fantastic. I've never driven anything better. But I bought it to drive everyday. I'll look kind of silly with ear plugs and my race helmet going to work. I don't think that is what Porsche intended when they designed the car. I thought that was what aftermarket parts were for. If you want to make your car the loudest ^&^%(& on the street you can. It was raining and wet yesterday. Maybe that does something to the sound? Who knows???
Old 11-13-2004, 12:51 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Are you just complaining about exhaust noise or vibration? Is the car loud when you drive w/ the windows closed?

The 997 should sound like a 996 perhaps w/ a more robust exhaust note, but nothing to write home about.

Where about in CA are you? just to have an idea of road conditions, etc.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Moogle
Race Car

judging from your previous cars, a few of which i've driven (incluiding the 997S), the 997 S should be an improvement.

that said, mabye you are a candidate for a CL500 just kiddin.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:57 AM
baboou
Instructor

Man, my experience was 180 degress out from yours. I drove almost three hours home on varing roads from Interstate to secondary. The engine noise was never a factor except for spirited acceleration (under 4200 RPM of course ) and the Bose was as good as it gets IMHO. I too have Michlein's and had no tire noise at all.

Some thing tells me - particularly with a headache after your experience that a leak may be a possibility.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Dubliner
6th Gear

I agree with baboou; there's no way it shoudl sound louder than your previous cars. Tyre noise should not be bad; you should hear the purr of the engine but you should easily be able to hear the stereo. Sounds to me like there's something wrong with the car.
Furthermore, I'd have the exhaust checked - noise and headache may be a sign of some nastiness.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:31 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For starters, how does it compare with the dealer car that you drove between order time and now? If it's different, then there's a problem with your car. If you drove the dealer's car and it was quiet and smooth, then there's obviously an issue. Drive another 997s now at the dealer - any difference?

The 997 comes with the same tires I have on my M3 - PS2s. They are absolutely smooth and quiet. Minor tramlining on grooved pavement. Crisp turn-in, incredible grip wet or dry. The only road noise I hear is now, when I have my winter wheels and Toyo snows on.

Ride is stiff? Do you have PASM / Sport set for stiff?

I just don't see how this could happen with dealer cars available pre-delivery and I'm sure you took your own new car for a spin before doing the delivery paperwork and handing over $90k.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Moogle
Race Car

can't wait for next march/april to throw on some pilot sport cups on my GT3... oh man.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:33 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like you may have a leaking exhaust can from failed weld or loose internal baffle causing droning/booming resonance . If it's a low moaning noise that's varies with rpm, could be a bad differential . I'd have the dealer shop foreman drive your car back to back with another S . Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out .
Old 11-13-2004, 01:24 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Definately try another 997S while yours is being inspected for leaks
Old 11-13-2004, 01:34 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

No experience in the 997 but European Car's review of the 997 said the exact opposite, that its the first P-car your could do a 135 (Autobahn....) in and still have a conversation.

"Still, it was muted enough that my colleague and I fell silent as it struck us that we had been talking, not shouting."

Quick Reply: New 997S is great but I'm beat up.....