Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono, Is the car faster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 12:10 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Chrono, Is the car faster?

I read about the package and can assume the car goes throught a corner faster, but is it faster 0 to 60?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

In sport mode, it improves throttle response, and eliminates the soft rpm protector prior to redline..theoretically, I suppose this could make it a hair faster to 60mph, but probably not alot..
Old 10-28-2004, 01:49 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't measured the difference, but I can feel that something changes in the car when turning the mode on and off. In particular, with it on and cruising at a constant speed, turning it off causes the car to "settle" a bit, as if you just let off the throttle. When accelerating it feels like the car has more "go" given the same amount of pedal effort. I'm not sure if it's any different if you jam the pedal to the floor in sport vs. non-sport, but for most situations the sport mode is definitely more responsive and subjectively faster.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Issy911
7th Gear

Does that mean I made a mistake by not ordering that "wart" on the dashboard?
Old 10-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Porsche needs to read these boards. I think people universally see that clock as an eyesore. They need to offer for an extra $500 you can delete the "wart". I would totally do it. ;-)
Old 10-28-2004, 02:57 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

I asked the question on 0 to 60 because I will have a 997S in 10 days and when I ordered the car the timer was the only thing mentioned on the options and not the other stuff. I too did not like the timer and have one I paid 25.00 for. I am now trying to justify not having it. It sound like I wont miss it.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Page Obenshain
I read about the package and can assume the car goes throught a corner faster, but is it faster 0 to 60?
No. Quicker throttle response only makes it feel faster at part throttle; all of the factors that determine 0-60 times are unchanged, and full throttle is full throttle regardless of the mapping.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:21 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Is making the throttle more responsive to pedal travel a good thing?

It seems to me that although this might make the car "feel" more responsive, it's better in actuality to have a more graduated response to pedal input, allowing more accurate throttle application in tight corners, etc.

It doesn't seem to me that making the pedal more of an "off-on" switch is a positive thing. I know that this kind or re-mapping is popular amongst post-market ECU chip vendors, so that buyers "feel" their chipped car is faster.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:36 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hardly making the throttle an "on-off" switch, and that's a silly comparison if there ever was one! Your comment makes it sound like there is no way to modulate the throttle with sport mode on, which is nonsense. If you haven't driven a car with it and experienced it first-hand, why speculate?

I would suggest that anyone avoiding the sport-chrono option because they don't like the "clock" reconsider. I don't notice it on the dash anymore than I notice the other controls. Personally I think that the cupholders are about as stupid and worthless as could be, but I don't get angry when I see the icon or when a passenger flips them out. I do know that after having the car for a couple of months that I'd be kicking myself if I didn't get the sport mode, as it does make the car more fun to drive, and I can assure anyone that you'd notice the difference!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Rasta
Racer

Chrono package all the way!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:54 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default It Just Seems Faster

A modified program is utilized for the following systems in the “Sport”setting: • Accelerator pedal characteristics
• High-speed cut-off • Dash pot (load change damping)
• PSM (Porsche Stability Management)
• PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) (optional for 911Carrera)
• Tiptronic S (optional)
A number of adjustments are made in Motronic when the Sport function is activated. The electronic throttle characteristicis switched to a steeper setting (only in manual mode with Tiptronic S). This produces a faster throttle response to accelerator pedal movements to subjectively increase the spontaneity of the engine.
When the Sport Chrono button is pressed, the abrupt cut-off is active in 1st to 5th gears for the manual gearbox (without Sport Chrono function only in 1st and 2nd gears) and in the manual setting for Tiptronic transmission. The so-called dash pot is executed less smoothly and with less emphasis on comfort. This means that the throttle closes faster when released. The result is a heightened, “racing-like” engine dynamic.
Sport mode allows the extreme driver to deliberately direct PSM interventions away from driving stability and more towards agility and driving dynamics, without having to sacrifice PSM support in emergency situations.
In addition PASM is automatically switched to its sport setting. This results in harder damping and therefore more spontaneity when steering into corners. Body movements are noticeably reduced, improving road contact. Agility and driving pleasure, particularly on circuits, are also increased and overall driving stability in extreme driving situations improved.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:58 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skip in Boulder
It's hardly making the throttle an "on-off" switch, and that's a silly comparison if there ever was one! Your comment makes it sound like there is no way to modulate the throttle with sport mode on, which is nonsense. If you haven't driven a car with it and experienced it first-hand, why speculate?
Skip,
No need to be defensive, man, I'm not ripping your car! This is cars we're talking, not presidential politics!

I have not driven a 997, but I HAVE driven other cars where the response to pedal movement is exaggerated for a more "sporty" response. I didn't like any of them in that mode. They don't make the car faster, they only make it feel faster--so I don't see the point. They don't increase the ability of the driver to modulate the throttle; they decrease it. I actually love the fact that my 996 has a fairly slow, progressive throttle response which facilitates throttle steering (which is what I'll be doing on the track this weekend).

Maybe the 997 is an exception; it sounds like a great car to me. If I ever get around to driving one, I hope I'm proved wrong, and that the 997 is that one exception.

Andy
Old 10-28-2004, 10:11 PM
avelino
Intermediate

Go get it if you plan to take your car to a track day. The throttle response is really faster and it is specially welcome coming out of a curve in the track. If you just drive in highways, never pushing your car to the limit then skip it. Mine was ordered with the sport chrono and after 1,000 miles in it I don't regret a second to have ordered it, the more so after a few runs in the track.
Paulo Avelino
Old 10-28-2004, 10:32 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by avelino
Go get it if you plan to take your car to a track day. The throttle response is really faster and it is specially welcome coming out of a curve in the track. If you just drive in highways, never pushing your car to the limit then skip it. Mine was ordered with the sport chrono and after 1,000 miles in it I don't regret a second to have ordered it, the more so after a few runs in the track.
Paulo Avelino
I think the sport chrono option sounds great overall, except for the decreased ability to modulate the throttle. I'm certainly willing to give it a try though. I have never, in any car previously, however, found my track out speed limited by my ability to push the throttle fast enough. On the contrary, I'm usually having to show some restraint!

Again, I'm a fan of the 997 from what I've heard so far, and this is probably a very fine point to be arguing--I will likely buy one after the first year of production, and I will certainly consider the sport chrono option for the suspension tuning if nothing else (though I must confess I'm sort of hoping the bump becomes an option by then)...
Old 10-29-2004, 03:15 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caf
Is making the throttle more responsive to pedal travel a good thing?

It seems to me that although this might make the car "feel" more responsive, it's better in actuality to have a more graduated response to pedal input, allowing more accurate throttle application in tight corners, etc.

It doesn't seem to me that making the pedal more of an "off-on" switch is a positive thing. I know that this kind or re-mapping is popular amongst post-market ECU chip vendors, so that buyers "feel" their chipped car is faster.
I thought that way too, but it's not really bad after driving it. I have driven my car on the track and I didn't find the throttle pedal too sensitive with Sport mode activated.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono, Is the car faster?