Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market/Techequipment Chrono Option

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004 | 12:44 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Wink After Market/Techequipment Chrono Option

Does anyone know, technically, if it is reasonable to assume someone will have a software/chip mod that will do something similar to the sport chrono option with out the stopwatch? I was thinking of ording the s with no chrono, and then hoping that this option becomes available in some aftermarket capacity...Am I dreaming?
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:03 PM
Moogle
Race Car

it is not feasible to retrofit that in terms of cost.

order it with the chrono, if you hate the watch thing, think of ways to remove it, however, the sport button, and the joys it brings, (only availible with the chrono pack) is well worth it. and you will regret not ordering it.
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:27 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Not feasible? Umm, I'll admit I am not a big automotive guy, however, my understanding is it is simply a set of "parameter changes" to existing systems. I am a software guy, and if that is actually the case it is very easy. In fact, I was thinking that the reason they included the stopwatch is so that people didn't complain that they were being charged $1000 for something that is a trivial software change. There are after market chips out for multiple cars that already do similar things for < $1000 (esp if you just get your existing chip reprogrammed).

I think the only thing that is not feasible is the stopwatch. Which I can do without ;-)
Old 10-26-2004 | 09:42 PM
Moogle
Race Car

what is not feasible is the wireing harness work, as well as software work required, it would require the full cooperation of a dealer in disabling/enabling things, as well as very competant knowledge of these rather new and unsupported systems.

the important thing to remmeber is, the wiring harnesses arent there in cars that dont come with it, not to mention there is no official retrofit kit.

you'd be on your own, and any problems that arose may void the related parts of your waranty.
Old 10-26-2004 | 10:13 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Wireing harness work?

1. I thought I was changing my throttle response (normally this is simple chip upgrade/flash) requiring no wiring. (S4 has one that changes modes on the fly)

2. Chip upgrade that gives the PASM stiffer suspension parameters, now I don't know about this one, but I am suspecting this would be the same as #1. No additional wiring needed.

If you are refering to the "button". I don't need it (most cars use some existing input anyway).
If you are refering to the clock...well..I dont want it.
If you think you need wiring to change the throttle response/Suspension, please help me understand what you mean on a technical level. If you don't need wiring, then I am left with my original question.

Or...I will post another question. Manually changing the throttle response/suspension...will post...
Old 10-27-2004 | 12:15 AM
tstanding
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would love to see a modification like this for the 996 as well. I really miss the immediate feeling of a real throttle cable. I drove a '99 996 a while back (before e-gas) and the difference was not subtle. The '99 had a lot more immediate throttle response.

Tim
Old 10-27-2004 | 12:22 AM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

http://www.electrodyne.cc/search_eng...90_14_241.html

Here is one for the 996, only issue is that is does "much more". I have not idea about impact to warranty. I know people that chip and have not had a problem, but....
Old 10-27-2004 | 01:57 AM
Moogle
Race Car

if porsche doesnt offer an official retrofit kit, any aftermarket or personally improvised solution would be suspect, and could not compare with the OEM version. (that is if you are trying to replicate it)

the best is to have it, you can always turn it off, but if you can't turn it 'ON'. you'll be missing something

Quick Reply: After Market/Techequipment Chrono Option