997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing a US car to Canada . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004 | 09:43 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Default Importing a US car to Canada . .

I'm looking to buy a Carrera S and I have observed that the MSRP in Canadian dollars is 46% greater than the MSRP in US dollars. The exchange rate is running about 1.27 Canadian dollars for every 1 US dollar. The savings are approx. $15,000 CDN to buy in the US. This is before we talk about any discount since the Canadian dealers seem unwilling to discount the car at all. I can buy a Honda Civic for the difference.

Has anyone imported a US car to Canada and what does it involve cost wise? Convert dash to metric, duty etc.?
Old 10-13-2004 | 10:51 PM
RRLOwen
Instructor

I have imported a Porsche in the past (993) and I can tell you that there are a few more considerations. When I did it the difference was almost 50% overall - that's on a used car. I would say that with today's rates, it's probably more like 35-40% when you add duty, miscellaneous fees, and the cost of transport which could be little or lots. The other important factor is that if you are trading you will save a lot on the taxes on a local purchase. With an import you pay it all.
Old 10-14-2004 | 12:01 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

I have no trade. I'd pick up the car myself and drive it across and pay taxes & duty. 15 grand makes it look attractive.
Old 10-14-2004 | 07:45 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Check the Registry of Imported Vehicle website for info on importing vehicles into Canada www.riv.ca to see if the car is eligibly for importation. I would then check with your local Porsche dealer to see if they will honour the US Factory Warranty. I know for example that Honda Canada will not honour a US Warranty so you want to check this out.

Good Luck
Old 10-14-2004 | 08:53 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

You are allowed $20,000 right off the top I think, but after that, you gotta pay the following: You will need to pay the sales tax on the car in Canada (8% or so), duty (6%) and then convert the guage face to metric and switch the lights to daytime-running.

For a new car, you're looking at paying around $20,000 in tax and duty. You won't save a dime I'm afraid. It would only be worth it if the car is a few years old and has depreciated somewhat.
Old 10-15-2004 | 12:59 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

You have to pay sales tax anyway and duty is about 6%. You're still ahead but the warranty coverage is a concern.
Old 10-15-2004 | 02:48 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
You have to pay sales tax anyway
Yes, but when you import it into Canada you will be paying sales tax again for the same car. A friend of mine suggested importing it into a province with less or no sales tax (Alberta?) and then registering it there first. Either way you slice it, it's a hassle. If you've got the patience, go for it. I really don't think you'll save anything though.
Old 10-15-2004 | 07:17 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Yes, but when you import it into Canada you will be paying sales tax again for the same car. A friend of mine suggested importing it into a province with less or no sales tax (Alberta?) and then registering it there first. Either way you slice it, it's a hassle. If you've got the patience, go for it. I really don't think you'll save anything though.
On a new car you have to pay PST and GST. So in reality there is a huge difference because these taxes you do not avoid anyway and they are on top of the MSRP at least in BC. With the CND so high you have huge savings if you buy in the US. The only thing I do not know is if it makes a difference of how long you own the car. I heard that there is a problem with getting new cars in Canada and you have to own them 6 months before you get them in?

Quick Reply: Importing a US car to Canada . .