Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have *any* info re Sport Suspention v. PASM??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 11:18 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have *any* info re Sport Suspention v. PASM??

I got a call today that the -20 sport suspension is available.

There's cryptic info on the Porsche website. Walter pulled a 7.59 around the ring, and has been quoted as the car still having 2-3 seconds. From the published list of times, this appears to have been in the sport suspesion car, though the Excellence article is not explicit.

Excellence states that if the sport suspension is offered in the US, it may not be -20, but the same as PASM (-10) with respect to ride height.

Anybody have more info?
Old 09-18-2004, 10:01 AM
bennno
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove a C2S with PASM this morning in the UK. It was ok in standard but bouncy in sport (note bouncy as opposed to stiff which is what my -20mm 996 C2 is).

I am going to go for the -20mm which in the UK comes with a LSD.

The point is that the car is 10mm higher than a 996 so the minus 20 suspension drops it by 20 but by just 10 compared to a 996.

The lap times of Nurburgring are 7'59 in a -20 car and 3 seconds slower in a PASM car, but trust me over the 14 mile lap that is nothing.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:11 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks benno. As a track enthusiast I pick a mechanical limited slip diff and properly matched springs/damping rates over variable dampers that do not have attendant increase in spring rate.

I understand completely your 'bounciness' comment. I'd put up with it for track use and a back country road (assuming smooth roads), but its sort of jittery for everyday use.

However, one thing that I really like about the active suspension, is its ability to damp 911 characterstic bobbing nose, and to control body motions induced by the heavy lump out back behind the rear axle. It did such a good job, you could swear you are in a 50/50 weight balanced car. I like this, coming from the BMW side of things, and was thinking body control is due to the PASM. So, I'm concerned that while the sport setup is more sporting, the characterstic nose bobbing and rear engine-induced body movements may not be as well controlled.

Last edited by frayed; 09-18-2004 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have *any* info re Sport Suspention v. PASM??