Sponsored by:

997S for sale at MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:48 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BH

Good luck on your fusion. I suggest you take no person on the board so seriously. You are apparently new to these boards or you wouldn't be offended to the spirited responses public or otherwise and would not have committed the faux of listing your car without paying for the advertisement.

Of course we all would love to have your car but every buyer wants the seller to rollover for them. Period. It is the nature of the transaction. The more desperate the better the price.

Of course the seasoned Pcars fans here learned before what I learned and what you are learning that while early use has its value, not everyone is willing to pay for that premium.Especially with Porsche. Limited colors, options and no discount. Others learned that six months to two years adds refinement, options, and savings. I know what I will do for my next 911. Wait and get the car and discount I want instead of rushing out. Different personalities I guess.

There are likely people who would want your car NOW who can't get one locally. I suggest Autotraders, Ebay and the like. Likely someone who read the reviews and wants one but is not aware of the time from ordering may want it. It is a very nice care. BTW there are three to four 997S' on ebay now and several on autotrader. I suggest if you are serious about selling ( and you may decide to keep it for the hassle of selling ) you should offer a token discount to make your car more desirable than a dealers and make it even / close to a 997s four months from now. Say 5%.
You know cut the baby in half.

Most of us here know their dealers and would have gotten a first allocation if we wanted one. And perhaps have a long standing relationship with a dealer to get reasonable pricing.

Good Luck
Old 09-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Rasta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bluehinder -

I just picked this up. I couldn't see the original post and so am not sure what you're offering, but would like to hear more details. Feel free to PM with a contact number and the details of the car, and we can take it from there. You can also reach me at 917.656.2280. I should be up till 11:55pm EST tonight (Monday-night). Thx.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Good Luck

Good Luck with your health issues......also good luck with your 997S....9 miles or 90 miles..... it is a used Porsche at the end of the day and it is a bit unrealistic in my opinion to think you are going to find someone to bail you out......Sorry you took a beating on the 40th 996 trade or did you?

Why not join RennList?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sold at MSRP

Hi,

Thanks for all your support! Dealer bought it at MSRP.

Blue
Old 09-09-2004, 12:52 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Blue,

I can't image what possible motive the dealer would have for buying the car back at MSRP. They paid less the first time they owned it. How, if the cars sell for MSRP, are they going to profit from the purchase? They must have charged you a substantial fee or something. Otherwise it makes no sense.
Am I missing something here guys?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:09 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's simple... had another buyer for it.... for 'over sticker' price. wonder if they did an 'dealer-unwind' deal? did a sim. take back w/ a new mini-s... actually refunded my money (more than sticker). who would have ever thought? right? btw: car was sold again before i left the lot.

good for you blue!

cheers.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:18 AM
sjsharks
Racer

It still does not make sense from the dealers perspective.

The only way that makes any financial sense to the dealer is if they found some sucker willing to pay in excess of $10,000 over MSRP, because that is what they probably cleared on the first sale.

The only other option is if the dealer got religion.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:39 PM
NeverLift
Intermediate

What is the big shock? Sure the dealer made profit the first time sold. If they sell the car for even 2k over MSRP they make a profit AGAIN and they help a buyer out with health problems! That is GOOD business! When the health of this gentleman gets better do you think he will be a return customerif he wants a Porsche again? Hell yes! Its good karma for this dealer to do this not to mention word will get out on this and probably help their sales. This is one good thing done by a business in a jacked up world were only the bottom dollar counts. You can make $$ and still show kindness and sincerity in business. This planet is so lost. LOL Oh and Blue I hope your health gets better fast.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:48 PM
perrys7342
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 997S Sold (???) on eBay

FYI, the 2005 Black 997S (MSRP $99K) listed at No Reserve recently closed on eBay (seller was Porsche dealer in TN) and was shown as sold at about $5K plus under MSRP. (As always with eBay, I'm sure they had a Shill buyback or Listing Error plan in effect). So, you were fortunate in resale to any new or used car dealer and they were fortunate in finding a buyer willing to pay "whatever". Note, there are now more 997 intro cars (Grey 997, Black 997S) offered on eBay but with Reserve. Obviously, any buyer they had for a Black 997S didn't look far...(or near!)

Wish I'd found more of those "frontal lobotomy" type buyers when I was in the business many years ago.

Alas, I bid on their Carrera GT offered, but eBay pulled the listing for "Lister Errors". Perhaps, I bid too much at $40K????

Perry (42 Years of Porsche Ownership)
Old 09-09-2004, 01:22 PM
cmoss

Best of luck Blue! And yes! you should get as much for the car as you can. I really don't understand why this board seems to be suddenly populated by--pardon my french--some real ********. I don't care for the tone, and the picking of fights. Sad
Old 09-09-2004, 02:54 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Neverlift

The dealer does NOT make a profit "again".

They end up losing around $10,000 because their new cost basis now becomes MSRP, thus their initial profit of around $12,000 is wiped out and they end up clearing your $2,000 figure. That is if they ever find anyone who will pay MSRP +$2k(not likely).

If the dealer merely just took back the car and undid the original deal, the loss may not be that bad, but now they are then stuck with a used car to move.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:42 PM
smjjpres
Instructor

ok, not following the math.

pay 88K for car (88)
sell for 99K 99
buy for 99K (99)
sell for 101K 101
net = 13K positive. not sure what you are saying sj.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:14 AM
sjsharks
Racer

Your math is correct in the scenario you describe.

I doubt it will go down that way however. Getting $101,000 for a used 997S is going to be virtually impossible. With reports of 5-6% discounts on new units, the original $11,000 profit will have to be compromised by at least half.

Bottom line............the dealer probably did Bluehinder a $5-6,000 good will gesture.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:52 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

You have not factored in the commissions paid to sell the car twice. Now on the second sell; gross profit only 2K. Less administration/finance fees, etc. The second sales commission alone would be more than the gross profit.
If the dealer could unwind the deal, that is the only way to get out of that car without paying at least sales tax and some fees. And that is the only way it would seem to behove the dealer to do this.

Neverlift, I wish things worked as you say. But the truth is - NOT! At least not yet. Being kind hearted and creating good Karma in business are acheived by alway being honest, fair, respectfull in dealing with all people/customers all the time. And making a fair profit is honest and is the way we have all agreed to play the game. All business deals should fulfill both side of the equation. That creates balance. That's a type of business Nirvana. It's all good.

Quick Reply: 997S for sale at MSRP