Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $99,300 Boxster

Old 09-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Charles Thronso
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The $99,300 Boxster

Check out the latest edition (September) of the British Porsche magazine GT (generally on sale at Barnes and Noble) for a surprising comparison of the numerous visual similarities between the 997 and the 2005 Boxster. This includes the front facia, front fenders ("wings" to the Brits) wheels, doors and door handles, mirrors, and interiors.

None of the photos were head on, so it was difficult to actually compare, but I think the article had a point. Even the line of the front trunk looks like the 997, and the Honda Comstar-type wheels and yellow calipers are right off the 997S.

I thought Porsche's return to profitability was supposed to allow them to further differentiate these two models. I sure don't want to be on the list the day the first guy with a 997S gets congratulated on his "new Boxster."
Old 09-03-2004, 09:53 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never understood the concern about similarities between 911s and Boxsters. Where is the shame in being congratulated on your "new boxster"? I didn't buy my car to impress people with the amount of money I have . . . actually, I bought my car for me and I don't care what anyone thinks about my choice. I have owned both, and I like both cars a lot. Isn't the difference between mid and rear-engined, and 2 and 2+2 enough? Rather than having Porsche try to ugly-up the Boxster at the request of sensitive 911 owners, I would rather they put the 997S motor in the new Boxster. Now that would be a fun car, and one that I would be happy to be accused of having. Just my .02.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Sean
Drifting

TD, I agree. A 3.8L Boxster would be a blast.

The visual distinctiveness issue has a lot to do with ego / status concerns, and the desire to say, "look, I spent more money!"

I'm sure that somewhere out there, a Carrera GT owner has heard the question: "is that the new Boxster?"

Ultimately, who cares what other people think. They're all great cars.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:40 PM
HBacura
Racer

Originally Posted by Sean

The visual distinctiveness issue has a lot to do with ego / status concerns, and the desire to say, "look, I spent more money!"

Ultimately, who cares what other people think. They're all great cars.
This is sad but true. But, it appears to be the same harsh feelings towards any of the lower priced vehicles Porsche produces. I mean look at how a lot of GT2/3 owners feel about the regular 996.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Charles Thronso
Intermediate

Don't shoot the messenger, please. The gist of the article was what I reported. In fact, the lead-in was something like "2005 Boxster owners rejoice, and 997 owners cry in their milk..."

I've owned both as well ('97 Targa, '96 C4S and '99 Boxster, and a 997 Carrera on order) and agree completely that they are all great cars. To me, however, it is not about the status, how much the car cost (note I didn't spring for the "S"), or anything else other than having a 911, and a piece of the history. It is the only sports car I have ever lusted over. I just finished watching "Le Mans" again, and my favorite scene in the whole movie is the opening scene of Steve McQueen slowly driving a 911 along the roads of France.

A Boxster is a better car than the 911 in many respects. But it does not come with the 40-year lore, the history, the passionate arguments for and against, that the 911 comes with. Frankly, I wish a 911 still cost $7,900. Frankly, if Kia made an exact 911 knockoff, I'd be pissed. Frankly, if 911 production moved out of Stuttgart, I'd even be pissed about that.

THE V-twin is a Harley, forked connecting rods and all. THE wooden speedboat is a Riva. And for me, despite the 914s, 944s, 986s, and all the others, including those very good cars from all the other manufacturers, THE sports car is a 911. I am at the point in my life where I really don't care if I impress anybody or not.

However, right or wrong, I don't really want another car, no matter how good it is, looking like a 911. Just my thing, I guess.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

I am aware of some criticism that the 997 front end is similar to the new VW but was under the impression the Porsche went out of its way in distinguishing it from the new Boxster. If it is true there are similarities between the two cars, it will negatively impact the sales of the 997.

On the other hand, Porsche has a very devoted enthusiast base and some will buy the car even if it looked like a Kia so long as the Porsche marque was prominently displayed.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Sean
Drifting

If it is true there are similarities between the two cars, it will negatively impact the sales of the 997.

The 996 was a tremendous sales success despite the "family resemblance" to the Boxster.

Isn't the 996 the best-selling iteration of the 911 ever made?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:17 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Charles Thronso
Don't shoot the messenger, please.
No shots intended. The title and short comment suggested on the surface that you cared more about status than performance, which is absolutely fine with me (who am I to tell you why you should want a Porsche) although I don't personally understand it.

I just find it interesting how both Porsche owners and non-Porsche owners view the Boxster v. 911 relationship. I cannot tell you how many people congratulated me on finally getting a "real" Porsche when I first bought my 911, which was very odd because I had a serious case of buyer's remorse for the first three months of 911 ownership. The only reason why I sold my Boxster S and bought a 911 was due to the fact that I had a 1 year old daughter and twin boys on the way, so I gave into pressure from my wife to ditch the two-seater. (We now refer to the 911 as the "family car"). At first, I really didn't like the 911. Yes, it had more power but it felt heavier and didn't handle as well, and I didn't feel like I had really "gained" much of anything significant. Of course, once I installed the PSS9s and GT3 adjustable sway bars, which significantly tightened and lowered the 911, I started to get over the buyer's remorse. Now, I love my car.

I don't think that similarities between the Boxster and the 911 will, over the long run, hurt Porsche's overall sales. I think that staying out of racing might. So if making a beautiful Boxster could increase profits such that Porsche considers racing again, I would be happy.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Charles Thronso
Intermediate

My 911s have been "family cars" as well. My 10-year old has watched that new Porsche commercial (of the young kid daydreaming out the school window and seeing the 911 coming down the street) probably 25 times, and he is more excited about my December delivery than he is about Christmas.

So whatever Boxster or 911 comes down the road 20 years from now, they will still both be good, and he'll be in the showroom.

And I also agree about Porsche's return to racing. The Le Mans movie whetted my appetite for that again as well.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:26 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TD,

Porsche's profits are HUGE -- it is the MOST profitable car company on the planet (based on margin), and has been for several years. Porsche hasn't returned to racing because Wiedeking doesn't see it as boosting profits even further, and he has NO RESPECT for Porsche's racing history. Porsche can certainly afford it -- financial ability is not the problem.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:34 AM
997TT
4th Gear

Honestly, who cares? I know I dont', having been raised around HUMANS, I know for a fact that we always want to have something to complain about, and this is just another, yeah, complaint.

Not shooting the messenger or anyone else here for that matter, but this is just silly. The Boxster is a Boxster and a 911 is a 911, same maker, two different cars, two different souls. I have also seen undisguised pics of the new Boxster, while it does have ties between itself and the 997 they still look just like what they should be, Porsches, I mean, what did you expect them to do? A Bangle design? It is what it is, dont make it into anything else. This issue is not only stupid but incredibly old. Just be greatful Porsche is still here and not some long forgotten brand, without the Boxster this very well may could have been. Just MY .02.

= )
Old 09-04-2004, 09:53 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, bought my wife one of the 50th anniversary boxster's, and it is way more fun to drive than my 996 was.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:45 PM
infestation
Instructor

At the end of the day, they are both Porsches. My favorite other Porsche is the Cayenne though.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:54 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Who CARES if the cars look similar from some angle? They are VERY different in design - one is an all-in-the-rear design, the other is a mid-engine design. Both beautiful.

The real P-car lover does not give a damn about these things.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing a xGTx Porsche to M96/M97 based Boxster/C2/C4/997/997S, etc is like comparing the new M5 (500hp V10 SMG) to a 525 or the E55 to E320. They have similar shells, built from the same parts bins but entirely different drivers.

The 997 non-GT variety is intended is the fast luxury commuter competing with the 645, CLK55, Lexus, etc. The fact that it has a Boxster engine in it is irrelevant to the intended use of the product. Personally I would take a 645 if it wasn't so FUGLY.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The $99,300 Boxster