Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 11:10 PM
infestation
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

I picked up my '05 Black Carrera S on Monday, and this afternoon the coolant warning light came on. I immediately parked the car and shut it down, and much to my dismay, all of the coolant was leaking underneath the car's center. I called Porsche Roadside Assistance and had the car towed to my dealer, so hopefully I'll know what the problem is sometime in the morning.

Besides that, the only other problem was with the spoiler yesterday, but I stopped by the dealer and they fixed it. There was simply a computer error and the spoiler did not want to go up.

I realize that with the first of the 997s there will be teething problems, so I don't mind. This car is awesome.

Austin
Old 09-02-2004, 03:07 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know what happened with the coolant.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 AM
raidentech.com
Instructor

Yike!! Hope your car get well soon.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

...and so it begins.

Same as it ever was!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Z0650th
Instructor

First year issues are bound to happen and it's a tradeoff that one has to accept to get a new car early on in its production. Hopefully it's something small and more than likely there will be other issues.

I tend to like to wait until at leat the mid-year production of a new generation to get most of the intitial teeting pains out or even the second year. Let us know what happened.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:49 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

any chance it's the same coolant overflow tank problem that the 996 has?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:50 PM
paneraiwatches
Instructor

Default Same as it ever was

I am currently in litigation with PCNA over the coolant tank. I think 5 tanks is a bit excessive, especially when Beverly Hills Porsche wants to charge $650 for a replacement. By the way checked your rear main seal yet.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Thats exactly what came to my mind teflon, typical 996 cracked cooloant overflow tank, but I have a hard time believing they haven't fixed that already with the 997 by now. If it is, it doesn't raise my hope for a RMS solution either
Old 09-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Carlos from Spain
If it is, it doesn't raise my hope for a RMS solution either
Yeah, I agree. If it's the same coolant overflow tank leak that the 996 had (I personally had TWO replaced) then shame on Porsche.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Starting to sound like the "typical of MY99" argument. I guess the new one to add to the mix is "typical of the MY05". Sounds like a great car, but like others I will wait a couple years.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:10 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 723 Likes on 400 Posts

Don't know much about Porsche, since I am a newbie here. But german manufacturers are notorius for forcing very little accountability amongst their parts suppliers. So a faulty part can remain in the assembly stream for a long time before it is fixed. The Japanese are just the opposite.

so this is a plastic radiator overflow tank, it just splits?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 PM
infestation
Instructor

Okay everyone, sorry for the suspense...I just got home after a long day.

The issue IS different than the various 996 coolant issues which I researched extensively last night after experiencing my own problem. Apparently, Porsche redesigned the coolant link running to the front of the car (to the radiator?) in the 997, and it wasn't properly plugged in/attached at the factory (from the way they described it, it didn't sound like it was a clamped down hose, so it must be some sort of other attachment, which IS supposed to improved, assuming it's actually plugged in, of course). I'm sure someone out there knows more. Jeff, the head technician at Autobahn Porsche said it was a factory error, so the dealer has been great in terms of taking care of both the car and me as their customer. They gave the car preference this morning to get it fixed ASAP, did a full diagnostic to make sure everything else was okay, washed the car, and then filled it with gas. So, I can't complain. All together, Autobahn has been great.

Now, in terms of Porsche--Porsche Roadside Assistance is dismal in my opinion (has anyone had better experiences?). First, the person I talked to didn't even know what a '997 was and they couldn't pull up my information, which maybe I can excuse since I had only purchased the car two days before. However, the car was towed at about 7:45 p.m., but this morning, much to my dismay, the dealer called and said they didn't have my car. Apparently the towing company put it in storage overnight (where?!?!) to bring it to the dealer this morning. I was under the impression from Porsche Roadside that the car had been taken immediately to Autobahn, so that was disconcerting. Plus, I not only got a call from Porsche Roadside last night to confirm pickup but I also got a call from Triple AAA, which leaves the big question--Is Porsche simply outsourcing their roadside service? Maybe PCNA should reconsider.

All together, this car is an awesome car. Driving it home today was an incredible experience and I simply love everything about the car, although you do have to watch the brakes. They'll bring you to a stop quick. I'm about to take photos and I will provide a link or attached images in another post.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Great news Austin, & glad it wasn't the 996 issue either, thanks for clearing it up.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

PCNA most assuredly outsources their roadside to AAA, who in turn subcontracts the actual work to independant wrecker drivers. When you call (800) Help-me-Porsche, you talk to a AAA call center who answers "Porsche Assist." They have a list of entitled customers, but it is not "live" into the PCNA database; hence they did not find you.

Imperitive you know all this so when you call you can demand a flatbed- otherwsie you don't know what might show up to pull your car.

And yes, they are supposed to take your car straight to the nearest dealer- and nowhere else (not even a tire shop if you have a flat).
Old 09-03-2004, 12:07 AM
infestation
Instructor

Thanks for the detailed info, Gary.

I'm just glad to have my car back now. I did get a flat bed, so that's good. I would have preferred that I would have been given my detailed information though about the location of my car.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak