Sponsored by:

Am I being unreasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 02:37 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in July PCNA shut down many options, colors and interiors that would not be available before September production.
Basically producyion was getting the launch vehicles assembled
Sounds as if you got cought up in this and were not informed
Old 09-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Fanman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me when I got my car a while back ago. It was supposed to come in the beginning of February timeframe, and I got it at the end of March. Didn't get too much correspondence from my dealer, just told to wait.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

OH996, sorry I've been out of touch lately. Been a busy few weeks here. There is absolutely no excuse to at least tell you your car has been delayed... They do happen, and sometimes we dont know why, but it isnt hard to tell if a September build is in proudction or not, or if a September delivery has been built or not. You had given me your reference #, and I misplaced it. Sorry about that. Email it to me again, and I'll check tomorrow morning. Or, I can order one for you if one isn't available through another dealership(swaps are rare right now).
Old 09-03-2004, 08:33 AM
perrys7342
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My recall may be faulty, but I thought you indicated about 6 weeks ago or so that when you were able to close on a preorder with a 6 percent discount from MSRP, that the salesman gave you the impression that you would be at the end of the initial allocations. Do you think that your order has been pushed back (or put in a "hold" production status) and deferred for early buyers willing to pay full MSRP against the dealer's available initial allocations?
Old 09-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Also, I just noticed on your post, that your sheet indicates a "stock" order, and not a customer order...stock orders can, from time to time, be pushed back in order to fill "customer" orders first.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:19 AM
OH997
Pro

perrys7342, I was actually supposed to be the first customer specific order car that the dealer received.

Alfie, I will send you a PM on the car.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If this were an order for a Porsche in regular production (not the first handful of cars arriving on literally the first ship) then I'd have to wonder why the dealer can't keep a straight line. However, having seen this unfold with late model 993s, the first 986 and 996 and every new variant, Porsche tends to get more than a little muddled up at the factory and the resulting friction, gnashing of teeth and grinding of gears puts the salesperson between "I want my MTV" customers and the vaguaries of German industry, including such things as their national practice of just not being available for the entire month of August ...

If you really don't trust your salesperson, as in any business relationship, just drop the deal and go find someone you trust. If you're willing to look into the situation, I know you can sit in front of the sales manager's computer, punch in your order number, see you name and see every event in the history of the order starting at least from the day the order was assigned to you.

Assuming the buyer proffered the deposit in a timely manner, there's little excuse for anything other factory delays.

As they say, you can have a car quick, at a fair price or to your spec --choose any two ... : )

Good luck with the new Carrera and your order. Then again, in shopping around for my car, I know of at least one car still available for sale arriving in six weeks, so you do possible options.

Cheers,
Old 09-06-2004, 10:04 AM
OH997
Pro

I ordered the car on July 8. It was not a launch vehicle. I think that Alfie hit it on the head when he said the dealer made a mistake by not including my name on the order and leaving it as stock.

MTV generation? I guess you mean I want what I want when I want it. The reality is that the dealer established the September expectation, not me. When I ordered it I asked when and was told when.

The latest is that the dealer is going to give me a Cayenne to drive until my car arrives. I originally got a discount of 6% and now he claims he will take a bit more off the car.

All-in-all not a very fulfilling experience for a near $100,000 car. Either my dealer is inept, Porsche is inept, or both. In any case, not what I expected.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:27 PM
AndrewB
5th Gear

If the dealer is loaning you the Cayenne free of charge then it seems like they are making a genuine effort to make things right. I understand that you are annoyed with their inability to keep you informed and you have every right to be. However, a free loaner vehicle and an additional discount is more than adequate compensation in my opinion.

Like Carrera said, when you have a clash of cultures things can get confusing at times. Add that to the fact that we are in the first months of a new launch and you can see how problems might arise.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:27 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

I would aggree with above replies in that a Cayenne loaner plus some further discounting is a pretty good gesture on the dealers behalf. I would, however, get in writing just how much more discounting is supposed to happen. This is efforts to prevent surprizes at delivery time..
Old 09-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OH996
I ordered the car on July 8. It was not a launch vehicle. I think that Alfie hit it on the head when he said the dealer made a mistake by not including my name on the order and leaving it as stock.

MTV generation? I guess you mean I want what I want when I want it. The reality is that the dealer established the September expectation, not me. When I ordered it I asked when and was told when.

The latest is that the dealer is going to give me a Cayenne to drive until my car arrives. I originally got a discount of 6% and now he claims he will take a bit more off the car.

All-in-all not a very fulfilling experience for a near $100,000 car. Either my dealer is inept, Porsche is inept, or both. In any case, not what I expected.

You're getting a free Cayenne loaner and $6K+ discount?! I need to renegotiate!

By the "I want my MTV" I wasn't referring to you -- and I think MTV generation refers more to attention deficit problems than demanding consumers wanting instant gratification -- I was trying to describe the impossible situation for the sales person to try to set realistic expectations, be responsive to customer enquiries and yet have a factory that (I know from experience in my own orders) moves around and changes dates according to its own agenda. And I think the concensus here is that Porsche sales staff are, for the most part, inadequate in many ways.

Anyway, I didn't mean to be disparaging, so I apologise.

Cheers,
Old 09-07-2004, 01:05 AM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

I'd say the loaner and additional discount is a pretty good show of faith that they want to make good on their mistake. As long as the car actually arrives when they're saying it will now arrive, I'd say you did just fine. You'll have to wait longer, but not as long as if you went to another dealer.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:50 PM
MrAce
5th Gear

What type of deposit did you put down on the car? Is it refundable?

Do you do the financing at the time of order or at the time of taking possession? Just curious because I am contemplating ordering one and am trying to learn from all these posts.

Thanks,

Kurt
Old 09-12-2004, 06:39 PM
OH997
Pro

Refundable $1,000 deposit.

I already had my financing in place.

Good luck ordering your car.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

You should get weekly status updates from the selling dealer. MFGCNF simply means they got your order, and parts are lined up and timed for production, and a date is coming, that's all.

When it goes PRDPNT you're nearly home free (production paint). ONVESL even better. Sounds to me like your dealer might have pulled a fast one and put someone (perhaps a favor to some customer) ahead of you. Not the end of the world, but once a week phone call or email is the LEAST you should expect. Geez, you'd think by now PCNA would put guys like that in the street. What a pathetic lack of control they have on dealers. Luckily I have some relationships (as many of us do) with reputable dealers who don't put up with crap like this.

All the best. I'd stay the course until you see an updated status.

Here are the usual status codes:

ACPORD (order accepted)
MFGCNF (mfg confirmed)
PLPROD (planned for production)
PRDPNT (paint)
CMPPRD (completed production)
CKPNT8 (test drive/vin assigned)
IMPINV (import invoice prepared)
ONVESL (on vessel)
IMPPRT (at port)
PDIARR (at PDI)
PDI (PDI underway)