Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any discount for European delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

As I stated above, having 90 days lapse between the purchase date and arrival in CA isn't an issue. It is, however, perjury whether you count the shipping and/or storage time towards the 90 days. That's between you and your conscience.

You won't need to provide the DMV with the arrival date. As I stated above, you provide the DMV with a bill of sale from a US dealership (outside of CA, I'll add)...the clerk will assume the car was picked up at the dealer that day, and won't know the car hadn't actually been built at that point, was later delivered in Europe, then shipped back to the US. If you buy from a dealer in CA, this whole scam becomes much more difficult and risky, although apparently it can be done.

I've run a CARFAX on my European Delivered BMW, and it shows the date it went through US Customs...so its arrival is well documented. As of three years ago, the CA DMV computers didn't talk to US Customs or CARFAX, and I avoided sales/use tax...but these days the State is in a bad financial state, and there are rumors that the Franchise Tax Board is cracking down on high-end cars being registered tax-free.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:47 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 618 Posts

I was under the impression that the CA DMV requires that sales tax be collected somewhere.

Ie; If you bought a car in (lets say) Idaho, the CA DMV wants to see a bill of sale and proof that sales tax was collected in Idaho. If you can't prove that, then you are charged CA state sales tax. Plus registration fees.

So basicly you cant buy a car in Idaho, store it some where or even drive it and hope not to get caught or pulled over, then walk into the DMV 90 days later and expect to just pay registration and NOT sales tax.

The CA DMV is not that stupid, if they were then people would just buy cars in NV, AZ or OR and just drive right back over the state line, and wait 90 days.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:59 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Nope. The CA DMV isn't, and can't be, concerned with what happens in another state with regards to tax, registration, etc. As long as it was delivered outside of CA and was used...not shipped or stored...out of the state for 90 days, the requirements are met to get through the loophole.

DMV fines for non-registration are very large (if you're caught driving in CA during the 90 day period), and cars are inspected...with mileage checked...when brought to the DMV from out of state. This is how it's enforced; a high-end car with 200 miles on it over a 91 day period being registered by a CA resident will raise a big red flag with the FTB.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:28 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where I live (KY) the situation is very similar. I purchased my CT from my dealer in Cincinnati (OH). When I went to register it in KY, they did ask for the receipt showing sales tax was paid in OH (5%), and then charged me the extra 1% (KY is 6%) on their registration. The difference is that here, it is any car brought from out of state for up to 1 year, vs the 90 days that CA apparently has. Oh yes, the states want their money. Bill first and ask for abatements later is their motto. Also, you are charged personal property tax on the vehicle every year (first year excluded because you paid sales tax) you own the vehicle as of 1 Jan. So if you sell it on 2 Jan, you still owe personal proerty tax on the vehicle for the ENTIRE year. I learned that when I sold my X5 in Jan! In addition, the other messed up thing here is that you pay sales tax on the full amount of the vehicle, whether you are trading in and only owe a fraction of the new car price or not! That includes pre owned vehicles as well. I think the best state for buying pre owned vehicles is GA, where you don't even have to pay sales tax on pre owned's.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:57 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

I've heard that depending what state you register the car in it can be tax free. For military personnel I know can get new cars at MSRP with pickup from Stuttgart and the whole shipping thing but the tax thing is a gray area as of right now for me. I'm debating if i want to save an extra year for a possible used 996/7 or get a new Boxster S while im here. I hate to make a compromise for cost over power. Suggestions?

harrY
Old 09-03-2004, 01:28 AM
raidentech.com
Instructor

Hi. Oregon has no sales tax. But how come their cars are so expensive, you can get them cheaper here in South Cal with tax.

Quick Reply: Any discount for European delivery?