Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More restrictive exhaust on 997???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts
Default More restrictive exhaust on 997???

The automobile magazine article mentioned tighter packed cats than those on the 996 for increased emissions. Does that equate to a more restrictive exhaist. If so, then it would seem pretty easy to squeeze a few more ponies and some more torque out of the 997 with an exhuast change.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:38 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any experience with the optional sports exhaust system?
Old 07-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI the sports exhaust will be an option only on the Carrera S
Old 07-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Moogle
FYI the sports exhaust will be an option only on the Carrera S
Option XLF - Sport exhaust system includes sport pipes - Is available on both Carrera and Carrera S.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Re: More restrictive exhaust on 997???

Originally posted by Doug H
The automobile magazine article mentioned tighter packed cats than those on the 996 for increased emissions. Does that equate to a more restrictive exhaist. If so, then it would seem pretty easy to squeeze a few more ponies and some more torque out of the 997 with an exhuast change.
Assuming that is true, you won't gain anything by replacing cats with more free flowing ones. Without the backpressure designed into the stock exhaust, the car will lose a considerable amount of bottom end torque and gain a handful of ponies up near the engine's redline. A complete waste of effort and money. Besides, you need to come up with a way to fool that ECU after removing effective means of cutting back some emissions.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

I hear you, but would the same not hold true for other Porsche models. I have been experimenting around alot with the 964 engine and the cat bypass made more lower end torque and increased the overall area under the torque and hp curve, but the hp curve did drop off sooner (maybe 3 or 4 hunder RPMs) than the stock curve which seemed to be from a loss of back pressure. The drop off was 255 rwhp and still much higher than stock. We had felt like we could possible get 270 rwhp though if the curve had continued upward at 5,500 RPM Obviously I have alot of other mods, but the removal of the cat definitely freed up a whole lot of torque in the lower end as that was one of the last mods.

The TTs also benefit from freer flowing cats. Not sure about NA 996s though.

You may be right. I just thought maybe this might be a window of opportunity to take the 3.8 to even greater heights as far as horsepower if what the article reported about the cats was true. Maybe this will be an area where tuners can make some advancement on the 3.8 if Porsche is really building in greater restrictions based upon emissions concerns.

It would seem that there could be a lot of potential in a 3.8 and perhaps Porsche has held it back a little initially as they seem do hp increases in incriments over a model range.

Just food for thought and not trying to start an argument. The S would be awesome though if the 3.8 could be taken up to 380 or 400 hp through a remapped ECU and free flow exhaust.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Doug H
The TTs also benefit from freer flowing cats. Not sure about NA 996s though.
Yes, turbocharged engines don't need nearly as much backpressure as normally aspirated engines.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:11 AM
sjsharks
Racer

But what exactly does the optional exhaust do?

Is it just a sound thing with no additional HP?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by sjsharks
Is it just a sound thing with no additional HP?
Yes.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:14 PM
petert
Instructor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the aftermarket exhausts for N/A cars use the stock cats anyway (probably for the reasons Viken mentions).
Old 07-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by petert
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the aftermarket exhausts for N/A cars use the stock cats anyway (probably for the reasons Viken mentions).
You are correct. Cats are left intact. Both, for that reason, and the fact that it is against the law to remove them.

Quick Reply: More restrictive exhaust on 997???