Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone order the 997 Base model?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Z0650th
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone order the 997 Base model?

I know most seem to be going with the S but who is going for the base model?

I still feel the base model is quite a good deal compared to the 2004 996.....basically for less money than a 996 (because PSM and 18" wheels will be standard in the 997). Add to this tilt steering not available on the 996, an upgraded interior, additional air bags for your head and you have a great car (and great looking too) for about $70k.

Others have said that the base model is a joke and that all of the technology improvements have been put in the S. But I do not think this is the case. Unless I am mistaken, the new 6-speed is the same for both the 997 and the 997S. The bigger brakes I believe are also standard in both versions. As for the 19" wheels, well if 18"wheels are goog enough for the Turbo, they're good enough for the 997. So where is the high tech???

If you are referring to the variable steering, I would prefer NOT having this until it is tried and proven. If you are referring to the active suspension, this does sound great but can be orderd in the base model if one so chooses.

So I still maintain that unless you absolutely need the extra 30 ponies to shave maybe 2 tenths of a second off your 0-60 time, you get a great deal in the base model with potentially less problems in the first year (due to the new engine and variable steering that will be in the S model).

Just my .02
Old 07-03-2004, 01:35 PM
sjsharks
Racer

I can't imagine anyone not opting for the S model. The figures recently posted comparing the GT3 vs the 997s at the Ring sold me. In professional hands the difference was only a few seconds. And at the risk of starting a war with the GT3 owners, most amateurs might even be faster in the 997s since it is seems like it might be an easier car to go fast in.

My .02.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I can't imagine not upgrading to the S. Having said that, I do have a sold order already for a Carrera. At only $1000CDN more than the 04, it really is a good deal.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Baron009
Pro

I expect the S will be very popular in the States, while the base will be more of a hit in Europe. I think the S was very much designed to appeal to American drivers. No I'm not stereotyping, it's just demographics. Firstly fuel costs are considerably lower in the US, and in addition there is more of a market for more expensive and powerful cars there. Maybe I'm wrong though.

That said, the hp increase for the base was somewhat disappointing.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

In thinking about it, maybe it will be a pretty even split. Everyone (including myself) seems to be saying that for the relatively small price increase, youre getting the extra power, lights, wheels, PASM, and a few other things.

Using that reasoning, there should be way more Boxster S's on the road than Boxsters. The S is not a great deal more than the standard Boxster, it has more power, larger brakes, different tranny, and some other stuff. Yet the standard car remains just as popular as the S.

Maybe the 997 will end up the same way.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i guess i would buck the trend here - frankly the PASM sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen once the warrenty runs out. the engine would be nice to have though. if i were to consider a 997 i would buy the base model (thicker wheel, cruise as the only options)

Think i'm going to go for a 993 C4S though....Air cooled purist guy, i guess.
Drove a bunch of 996's (various years) and kept remembering my boxster and that i didn't like it too much, that and it broke alot. the 996 left me flat and the 997 is a definite improvement but still leaves me flat. The GT-3 is the only one i really like, but out of my price range. so that leaves me with a 993 (already have a 964). it will be a daily driver - anyone trading a 993 for a 997? for reasonable $ of course.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:06 AM
Moogle
Race Car

did you know the S costs Porsche about $2000 more to make, but they charge 10-12000 + for it?

Trending Topics

Old 07-12-2004, 04:19 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Is that just Mfg costs or does it include the R&D which must run into the hundreds of millions for the 60,000 projected run on what is basically a new car?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Moogle
Race Car

just manufacturing costs, but i'm sure they will make back the 'hundreds of millions' of development costs and THEN some with that sort of profit margin.

especially since they expect the american market to be 60-70of the S variant over the Base carrera 997.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:09 PM
DannyboySmith
Advanced

Originally posted by Baron009
I expect the S will be very popular in the States, while the base will be more of a hit in Europe. I think the S was very much designed to appeal to American drivers. No I'm not stereotyping, it's just demographics. Firstly fuel costs are considerably lower in the US, and in addition there is more of a market for more expensive and powerful cars there. Maybe I'm wrong though.

That said, the hp increase for the base was somewhat disappointing.
I do agree but the 3.8 L stroke sounds interesting as well, lets stay air cooled and when they bring the GT3 997S out things, are going streaking....
Old 07-15-2004, 02:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,012 Likes on 2,836 Posts
Default Re: Anyone order the 997 Base model?

Originally posted by Z0650th
Others have said that the base model is a joke and that all of the technology improvements have been put in the S. But I do not think this is the case. Unless I am mistaken, the new 6-speed is the same for both the 997 and the 997S. The bigger brakes I believe are also standard in both versions. As for the 19" wheels, well if 18"wheels are goog enough for the Turbo, they're good enough for the 997. So where is the high tech???

If you are referring to the variable steering, I would prefer NOT having this until it is tried and proven. If you are referring to the active suspension, this does sound great but can be orderd in the base model if one so chooses. Just my .02
I think you had a couple things wrong - only the S gets the bigger brakes and both cars are saddled with the variable ratio steering...
Old 07-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Re: Anyone order the 997 Base model?

Originally posted by GrantG
I think you had a couple things wrong - only the S gets the bigger brakes and both cars are saddled with the variable ratio steering...
Correct. Variable ratio steering is standard on both models. The bigger 996 Turbo/C4S brakes are only available on the S. PASM is standard on the S and optional on the base car. The same goes for the 19" wheels and tires.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:48 AM
BobW
6th Gear

as this point, I think I will order the base Carrera. But I haven't cut the dealer a check yet, so that may change. As I posted in another thread, my reasons are:

1) I don't want to deal with potential 'issues' in the first year of production of the 3.8L motor. Besides that, it only makes 9% more power, which most people probably wouldn't even notice.
2) ditto PASM...1st year will likely have issues.
3) I don't want 19" cast alloy wheels...the roads where I live suck. If I want 19's, I'd buy forged wheels.

Quick Reply: Anyone order the 997 Base model?