Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silvers NA Coil-Over Review & Specs - Another Option

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2024 | 06:03 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Default Silvers NA Coil-Over Review & Specs - Another Option

To start off I have been searching for a set of coil-overs for over a year that improve ride quality and improve overall performance. The goal; reducing body roll and dampening the rough NY roads with out having to visit the chiropractor after every drive. I have prior experience with: Ohlins, BC Racing, Bilstein, KW and Vogtland running multiple sets across multiple platforms. I was leaning towards Ohlins or KW V3s due to their adjustment and street compliance. I had previously run H&R springs with factory mounts and Base struts. I was pleased with the ride height and appearance but always felt that this suspension setup felt as if you were constantly slapping the pavement. Each divot and road imperfection was felt inside the cabin, especially with the "wonderful" NY roads. Minor dips would result in the front wheel well flaps striking the pavement along with, on occasion, the front Lip.

I came across Silvers North America and discovered the company was created out of a lack of support and delays/expense for repair/build times out of Germany for the owner's 964/993/996 for the cup/club series in Asia. Silvers was formed in Taiwan based on this need. I searched high and low for a review for the 997 and could not find any information, a lot of great reviews for other platforms but not for the 997. A few months ago I reached out to Silvers North America based out of Florida and spoke with Will for about 20min. One of the questions I posed was why there was no information or reviews on the 997 platform or 911 platform in general? Will explained it was due to price, people assumed it was a lower market product due to the lower price ($1500 vs $3000+) and that the name wasn't as known here in the states as it is overseas. He explained that they do well with the Cayman and Boxster markets and sell a lot of Mercedes sets but the 911 market was low volume here in the states as opposed to overseas. I apologized for all of the questions and essentially an impromptu interview, upfront.

Here are the main take aways from that conversation:

- Initially Silvers was a Porsche (996/993/964) based Company but later expanded to other Makes/Models (1999-->
- The 911 platform is the most developed coil-over system Silvers offers due to past racing history/experience
- Digressive Shocks/Struts (Explanation Digressive VS Linear VS Progressive HERE)
- Digressive (Bilstien/Ohlins/KW ect) - Linear (BC, Max Speed, ECS ect)
- Koyo Upper Bearings
- 6061 Aluminum Top Hat and Lower
- Carbon Steel Shock/Strut tube (Nickle Plated via electrolysis)
- Custom Valving Available / Swift Springs Ect
- Shock Dynos available on all Struts/Shocks (I Requested at time of Purchase)
- 5yr Warranty on Mounts/Hardware
- 2yr Warranty on Struts/Shocks
- Rebuild rates per Strut $125 (As of 10/24)
- All components can be purchased & replaced Individually
- Rebuilds/Custom Valving/Customs Builds performed in the US
- 5 Day lead Time (if) out of stock of components or Coil-over Sets

I purchased a set after speaking with Will on a Friday morning and had them in hand by Monday afternoon. I ended up taking in a 964 Turbo later that week for a friend to fix some body seals and get the HVAC system up and running again as well as a Paint correction and ceramic coating. Hence why this project was a bit delayed since August.

Initial out of box impressions, well built, good materials. Standard box and foam packaging, included some Allen keys, Coil-over wrenches and a Decal.

Photos:

Coil-Over Weights:

Front: 10lbs 2.8oz
Rear: 10lbs 8.2oz

Factory Suspension Weights:

Front: 13lbs 11oz
Rear: 10lbs 4.6oz

Installation:

Installation was fairly simple since I was not re-using any OEM mounts, they are all eliminated utilizing this kit. (Which I think is great as it simplifies the install and eliminates the need for purchasing multiple mounts, bump stops ect.)

Note: You can reuse the OEM hardware (6 nuts) for the front but you need to use the 6 supplied nuts for the rear coil-vers.

A great place for TQ specs and overall instructions before you get started is the FCPEuro installation video:

Setup:

These are the specs I have used initially, I may make some small tweaks and changes in the future but I think this is a great starting point.

Coil-Over Spring Pre-Load:
F: 3mm
R: 5mm

Dampening Settings: (24 Settings)
Front: 15 clicks towards Hard
Rear: 15 clicks towards Hard

Ride Height Factory w/ H&R Lowering Springs: (Floor to Fender)

Front: 25.75"
Rear: 26.75"

Ride Height Silvers Coil-overs: (Floor to Fender)

Front: 26"
Rear: 26.5"

(This Levels out the car quite a bit)

More Below.....

Last edited by Graufuchs; 10-06-2024 at 07:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
jbkusa (10-06-2024), TexRedC4S (10-07-2024)
Old 10-06-2024 | 06:04 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Shock Dynos: (You can request these when purchasing)

Front:

Rear:

I had a few friends review these Dynos (1 works for a handful of race teams) and they both said that they look great for the street but would be a bit on the soft side for hard-core track use as they sit.
They were also impressed by the Dyno that they used, its a great brand in that industry. A solid blessing was given by both of them, and they asked when I would be buying another set for the C4.

Spring rates: (Standard)

Front: 6K
Rear: 12K

I went with an off the shelf setup for the purpose of the review and knowing me, I kind of want a set and forget setup. Custom dampening and multiple different spring rates are available.

Driving Dynamics/Feel:

Overall, I am very impressed, especially at this price-point. Both general goals were met, greatly reduced transitional body-roll and a more dampened ride. I understand some of this is subjective, but for someone who lives in an area that sometimes has "imperfect" roads these are a fantastic option.

Ride Quality:

I have a few wash board type pavement conditions near my house that I would have to crawl over with the H&R springs without rubbing the front lip and wheel well extensions. I was able to maintain speed 25-30mph and clear them without any rubbing/noise whatsoever. I am able to cross over the cross street that is slightly elevated/crest without rubbing, I also no longer rub in my driveway entering/exiting a sloped transition I have. You are still aware that you are on coil-overs but the car is much more compliant over road imperfections and you met with a light "thump" instead of the constant jarring "slap" that was present with the lowering springs. The older suspension had 19K, there were no leaks, the bump stops were rotted away from age and felt very tired compared to the Silvers.

Noise levels in the cabin are reduced, there are no longer hard impacts over road imperfections that would allow the interior to creak slightly. This has been eliminated as well.

I also have no noise from the coil-overs as I have them set, there is also plenty of room to go lower or going higher via the shock/strut body.

Handling:

I put the car through its paces via higher speed clover leaf's and a few slalom conditions, the car performed well with little to no body roll. There is little to no diving or heavy squatting during hard accelerations/decelerations that were present with the lowering springs and factory struts/shocks.
The car is a bit more predictable at the limit and this inspires a bit more confidence entering and exiting the corners.

Note: I do have Eibach Front and Rear Adjustable Sway bars (Mid setting on both)

I took the C4 out that is on the base suspension and H&R springs and the difference in ride quality is night and day. This was also confirmed by a friend who I allowed to ride and drive both cars. His summation was "Firm but extremely forgiving", he preferred the Silvers without a second thought.

More to come.....

Disclaimer: I paid for these coil-overs, they were not given to me. I am not affiliated with Silvers NA or Silvers Taiwan.

Last edited by Graufuchs; 10-16-2024 at 07:15 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
jbkusa (10-06-2024), Rig.Stunts (10-07-2024), Sylverlee (10-06-2024)
Old 10-06-2024 | 06:28 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Brilliant!

I'm curious what springs rates did you decide on?

Well done
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (10-06-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 12:37 PM
gwarvo
Intermediate

Awesome write up on these! I had been talking to a buddy from a local shop and he raves about Silvers so they have been on my radar for a few months now. Might just have to pull the trigger on them!
Graufuchs (10-07-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 07:05 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rig.Stunts
Brilliant!

Well done
I am just awaiting Will (Silvers NA) to get back to me in regards, I do not want to misquote what he said initially. I tried calling there today but it looks like they are closed and preparing for hurricane Milton.
Rig.Stunts (10-08-2024)
Old 10-08-2024 | 10:10 AM
SSMOKE-U
Rennlist Member

I'm getting a set installed on my S4 this week along with some other maintenance stuff. Excited to see how it makes that car feel. After your review, this will likely be the winter project for the 911.
Graufuchs (10-08-2024)
Old 10-15-2024 | 07:02 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rig.Stunts
Brilliant!

Well done
@Rig.Stunts

Got in touch with Will at Silvers NA to confirm rates: Front- 6K Rear- 12K

Minor hurricane damage and they are back up and operational.

Last edited by Graufuchs; 10-16-2024 at 07:15 PM.
Rig.Stunts (Yesterday)
Old 10-16-2024 | 08:44 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

I did'nt realize how affordable these were.
Graufuchs (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 08:59 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
I did'nt realize how affordable these were.
Yes...about $80 more than BC's. You get Mid-Tier coil-overs for an entry price.

I still don't get how people were sleeping on these.

A small suggestion if anyone is looking to purchase these, get the extenders for the rear ($36). I am picking up a set to make easy adjustments for the rear coil-overs. I realized this when i was pulling the Bose deck off.
Old Yesterday | 10:12 AM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Thank you.
Graufuchs (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 11:21 AM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Springs are in the optimal range IMO

Well done!

With your sways I bet they feel great in corners
Graufuchs (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 11:35 AM
SSMOKE-U
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
Yes...about $80 more than BC's. You get Mid-Tier coil-overs for an entry price.

I still don't get how people were sleeping on these.

A small suggestion if anyone is looking to purchase these, get the extenders for the rear ($36). I am picking up a set to make easy adjustments for the rear coil-overs. I realized this when i was pulling the Bose deck off.
If I don't have Bose, would these be necessary?
Old Yesterday | 12:24 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Do you have to go the PASAM delete route to use this product if your car is equipped as such ?
Old Yesterday | 01:18 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSMOKE-U
If I don't have Bose, would these be necessary?
Its easier to get too without the Bose, its not necessary but makes life a bit easier to make adjustments if need be.
Old Yesterday | 01:19 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Do you have to go the PASAM delete route to use this product if your car is equipped as such ?
No PASM in this car or my C4.

PASM can be coded out with PIWIS if you desire.

Quick Reply: Silvers NA Coil-Over Review & Specs - Another Option