Sponsored by:

$425 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 08:28 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I have al these tools and prefer to DIY.
Others are happy to go to the dealer = cool.
Fools go to Jiffy Lube or similar IMO.
Originally Posted by yelcab
Oh, my, I don't think they want to work on a 997, period.
Take my word for it ... here we go....

Old 08-29-2024, 09:19 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 416 Posts

When was that last $ 200 oil change? I certainly do not remember one anytime this century :-)
Old 08-29-2024, 09:24 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I recently took my Porsche (Cayenne, not 997) to the local Porsche dealer for an oil change. (Nothing else, just an oil change.) I provided the oil (10 liters of Motul - which cost me about $104 - 8 liters used, with 2 left over.)

The Porsche dealer charged me a total of $190.84 {This included an oil filter element ($37.04, and a seal ring $3.80), and $150 labor.}

Regarding the labor charge - in addition to the oil change, they did an overall under-body check, brake pad / rotors, suspension, tire wear and condition, etc, and topped off all of the fluids. And reset the oil change interval notification in the electronics.

This work was done by a senior Porsche technician, not lower-wage oil change only personnel. So the inspection work was done with an experienced set of eyes.

I didn't have to crawl under the vehicle; fool around with removing the various components in order to get to the oil filter; purchase the various other fluids for the fluid top offs; or fool around with the disposal of the used oil.

The dealer provided me with a 2024 Cayenne loaner vehicle for the day - free of charge.

Plus, this particular dealer does consistently outstanding / careful work and their fair pricing for routine maintenance helps instill a sense of value.

When it comes time to buy the next Porsche, I will not hesitate to go to them.
Originally Posted by rwbern
When was that last $ 200 oil change? I certainly do not remember one anytime this century :-)
I'm guessing that you're referring to my post...

The overall total was $294.84.

That oil change was done two weeks ago.

Old 08-29-2024, 09:26 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
Also it bears noting:

The 997 has the easiest oil change of any car I've ever owned. It doesn't even require a jack, and is what, $80 in supplies?

I've timed it, and at 35 minutes from beginning to finish I can't even drive to the nearest Porsche dealer.
I just wrapped up mine. I let it drain an extra long time ensuring I got as much of the old oil out as possible. But, easily under an hour.

I ordered an oil change kit from FCP euro for the first time today, vs piece-mealing my own oil change parts and always forgetting something. Also was able to get my choice of oil (in this case LM 5W40). Approx $100 for oil, filter, drain plug, crush washer to the front door. As others have said, changing the oil in the 997 is cake. I just changed the oil in my daughter's CX5 and it was double the time. And, I'm working up the energy to do my wife's Macan next which is a bit of a pita. But, all faster than dealing with dealer appointments and WAY cheaper. And I know that either it was done right OR it's all my fault. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (08-30-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 11:17 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,056 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
also worth noting, despite the oil change being pretty easy there are several tools you need to do the job, like a tool for re-setting the service light, specialized size socket for the filter, a torque wrench for that ft pound range, a jack or lift if you want to use that, and an oil disposal method, and a set of torx bits if you want to change the air filter.
Good point and in my case since I needed a brake job too I would have to buy a breaker bar for the center lock wheels. Those aren't cheap and hard for me to justify for a tool I may use once every other year or less than that since I may sell my car before I will ever need it again..
Liste-Renn (08-30-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 11:59 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Glad your dealer stood up and did what was right. For those looking to get into a new Porsche at some point, having that relationship with your dealers service department (a profit center) may help you too.

My local dealer is a little over $400 for an oil change on my 997 GT3. That is 9.5 quarts (maybe liters, I forget) of oil, filter, 2 crush washers, a couple of orings (one of them being expensive at $10). Most independent shops around here are 25% cheaper. Whether someone chooses to save the $100 or not is a personal choice. I also get either a loaner or a ride to/from my house to grab my car which saves me asking a friend/family to take me when everyone is so busy already. That is my main motivation for using the dealer is the ease/convenience of it. Also, if something does go wrong (scratch something), I can go after a larger entity.

Regarding the labor cost, my dealer is $200/hour for labor. They typically charge me 1 hour of labor. The filter is I think $50. Oil is probably $90. Add tax. I'm missing some $s here, but I think I'm close. In the case of our local dealer, each tech has their own designated service bay. I don't typically see them going from one bay to another. Typically during that 20 mins they're doing a general look over on the car.
That's one of the reasons I took the car to the dealer. They were out of loaners so they used what they call "valet service" instead. They send two guys to my house. One drives my car to the dealership. Same thing in reverse when the car is done. Delivered to my house. No charge for this. As for the techs moving from one car to another, I've seen them do that during oil changes. In my case he may have done the brake and TPMS jobs during the drain so that would have been "triple dipping" for labor cost.

Originally Posted by workhurts
Well, you didn’t approve the service. What else were they going to do, good relationship or not?
They shouldn't have started to work on my car until they got the form they sent me where I was asked to approve or decline each item and the cost. They could also have been less generous and just said...."ok, we screwed up. How about if we cut the oil change price in half". Instead they gave it to me for free.

=Bruce In Philly;19620987]2009 C2S 202K miles

I can't imagine what I would have spent, in total, if I took my car to a dealership.... heck even a good indy ain't all that cheap either. I DIY. I was chatting with a friend the other day, and he made some sort of comment like "... but the dealer has the tools." I told him that you can buy all the tools you need for any DIY job and still save money.

I do get using a dealer... one of the things I worked for was to have less cht in my life, but Porsche's re-positioning its product into an ultra luxury brand is ... well... let's say very profitable for them.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
The indy I have been using stopped accepting Fidelity extended warranty which I have. They also don't have loaners or any other service to get to and from. And like you say, they're not that much cheaper anymore. I'll pay a premium for convenience which is why I went back to the dealership.

A 6-pack of oil might run you a little short...

You can pick up a pair of these and it will make getting under the rear of your car much easier.

https://www.raceramps.com/ramps/race/p/rr-56/
I have a pair of those but the tip of my nose is still rubbing against the bottom of the car. As for the oil quantity I had two full quarts of oil left over from a previous change so I have 8 quarts total which should be about right.

Originally Posted by Hootsama
Glad they didn't bust ***** to make it right. Hate to think what they charge for pads and rotors.
$2,100 parts and labor.

I recently took my Porsche (Cayenne, not 997) to the local Porsche dealer for an oil change. (Nothing else, just an oil change.) I provided the oil (10 liters of Motul - which cost me about $104 - 8 liters used, with 2 left over.)

The Porsche dealer charged me a total of $190.84 {This included an oil filter element ($37.04, and a seal ring $3.80), and $150 labor.}

Regarding the labor charge - in addition to the oil change, they did an overall under-body check, brake pad / rotors, suspension, tire wear and condition, etc, and topped off all of the fluids. And reset the oil change interval notification in the electronics.

This work was done by a senior Porsche technician, not lower-wage oil change only personnel. So the inspection work was done with an experienced set of eyes.

I didn't have to crawl under the vehicle; fool around with removing the various components in order to get to the oil filter; purchase the various other fluids for the fluid top offs; or fool around with the disposal of the used oil.

The dealer provided me with a 2024 Cayenne loaner vehicle for the day - free of charge.

Plus, this particular dealer does consistently outstanding / careful work and their fair pricing for routine maintenance helps instill a sense of value.

When it comes time to buy the next Porsche, I will not hesitate to go to them.
Great dealer!! A keeper for sure.
Hootsama (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 01:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cgfen
Fools go to Jiffy Lube or similar IMO.
Not so fast. Call me a fool but I had my last oil change at Zippy Lube. A buddy of mine has a 997 Carrera S and has used them for years. You bring the filter kit and the oil and they charge $27 in labor. I was skeptical so I called the shop and asked the manager if they're comfortable doing Porsches. "We do em' all the time" he said and offered proof. I asked if he had the torque numbers for the drain plug and the filter respectively and the total oil capacity. "Just a second" he said. He came back after confirming the numbers on his screen. Spot on. 19 ft/lbs for the filter, 37 ft/lbs for the drain plug and 7.9 qts of oil. So I brought them the car. They don't take appointments so it's first come first served. My wait was about 15 minutes.

They did a good drain of just over 30 minutes so I was in and out in less than an hour for just over $100. "That's why we do a good amount of Porsches said the manager. "We do the same thing as the dealership for $300 less". I'll pay $27 for not having to crawl around on the floor upside down with my face up against the bottom of my car.

The following 5 users liked this post by sandwedge:
Highline-Autos.com (08-30-2024), Ironman88 (08-30-2024), Liste-Renn (08-30-2024), T Silnner (08-30-2024), vg247 (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 01:08 AM
exilio
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Part of my deal to myself and to my wife was that in buying a used Porsche I would handle ALL of the scheduled maintenance. When I got my car, all I had ever done was put in gas and change the reg tabs. Since I got my 997, the jobs I have done myself have paid for all the tools I bought to do the various jobs I will need to handle over the years. So far I have done my own oil change, PDK transmission, PDK clutch, drive belt change, and replaced the spark plugs and coil overs. I am no expert and I rely on YouTube, but if I can do it, anyone can. And the money I have saved goes towards upgrades down the road. ;-)
The following 3 users liked this post by exilio:
dmpslc (08-30-2024), Dragon997 (Yesterday), Hootsama (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 04:51 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 274 Posts

I have owned 911s since 1999, so 25 years. I have used dealers and the SAME senior level tech both in NJ and Florida (sort of my personal tech)....I NEVER had an issue at a dealer...I have used independents about 5 times and 3 of then f'd up. I spent $130,000 for my car so now what...I can't afford a $300 Oil change. I've also received many discounted services for that loyalty. So use who you want...I use who I believe is best.

I'm a Consultant and I teach Communication Skills...no one does it better...cheaper yes...better no! Why do they spend much more than they have to to work with me.....VALUE....! I renovated a hundred year old House when I lived in NJ...I found the best tradesman were never the cheapest. The Best always comes at a price. Every time I put my car keys in someone else's hands I need to know those are good hands...for me those are ;located at the dealer.

The following 2 users liked this post by TommyV44:
Ironman88 (08-30-2024), Liste-Renn (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 04:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by exilio
Part of my deal to myself and to my wife was that in buying a used Porsche I would handle ALL of the scheduled maintenance. When I got my car, all I had ever done was put in gas and change the reg tabs. Since I got my 997, the jobs I have done myself have paid for all the tools I bought to do the various jobs I will need to handle over the years. So far I have done my own oil change, PDK transmission, PDK clutch, drive belt change, and replaced the spark plugs and coil overs. I am no expert and I rely on YouTube, but if I can do it, anyone can. And the money I have saved goes towards upgrades down the road. ;-)
Good for you. I used to do a lot of work on my cars myself and enjoyed it. Got a lot of tools but as you trade to newer and different cars over the years you have to keep buying new tools, some of them quiet costly. I'm also not getting younger and not as limber as I used to be. My back especially is not what it used to be and I can sense a difference in overall mobility.

So getting under the car is not as easy as it used to be. Hate to say it but unless you have special genes, chances are you'll get there too at one point. Where paying for something you used to do yourself and enjoyed doing but just don't feel comfortable or the same enjoyment as you used to. Hopefully later rather than sooner. At least I can still play golf in total comfort
The following 2 users liked this post by sandwedge:
Dragon997 (Yesterday), TommyV44 (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 09:23 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,602 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Good for you. I used to do a lot of work on my cars myself and enjoyed it. Got a lot of tools but as you trade to newer and different cars over the years you have to keep buying new tools, some of them quiet costly. I'm also not getting younger and not as limber as I used to be. My back especially is not what it used to be and I can sense a difference in overall mobility.

So getting under the car is not as easy as it used to be. Hate to say it but unless you have special genes, chances are you'll get there too at one point. Where paying for something you used to do yourself and enjoyed doing but just don't feel comfortable or the same enjoyment as you used to. Hopefully later rather than sooner. At least I can still play golf in total comfort
Mobility.... oy my back. Yea, I get it. I used to take ibuprofen after a job, I now take it before a job. Taking it as a prophylactic is really key to being able to sleep that night. I still love doing this work... I also lift the car higher.

Peace
jchapura (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 10:25 AM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Guess I am lucky, local Porsche service/repair business, PCA sponsor, has specials every few months. Most recent was oil change with Liqui Moly, OEM filter all in price $56.00!
Old 08-30-2024, 11:21 AM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by finally!
Guess I am lucky, local Porsche service/repair business, PCA sponsor, has specials every few months. Most recent was oil change with Liqui Moly, OEM filter all in price $56.00!
Originally Posted by finally!
Had oil changed on my 997.2 C2S, local Porsche shop (not dealer) had a special for only $47.59! Liqui Moly and OEM filter!

$56 includes tax? That is an awesome price!!!

sandwedge (Yesterday)
Old 08-30-2024, 12:24 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,602 Likes on 962 Posts

By the way... when we tout the goodness of a tech inspection, the techs are rewarded with bonus money for finding issues. That inspection benefits them as well as us... just sayin'. I sincerely think the inspection should be free.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-30-2024 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 12:43 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
By the way... when we tout the goodness of a tech inspection, the techs are rewarded with bonus money for finding issues. That inspection benefits them as well as us... just sayin'. I sincerely think the inspection should be free.

Peace
Simply referred to as add ons. And yes, livings are made that way. Always good to ask to get the old parts back.

Quick Reply: $425 oil change