Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While You are In There" Front Bumper Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2024 | 11:20 AM
ridebuy
AutoX

Default While You are In There" Front Bumper Removal

I'm planning on removing the front bumper for the first time since I purchased my 08 C2S and wanted to know what else I should look to inspect or replace while I'm there. The car has just over 100k miles on it.

Current thoughts...
1. Clean radiators (should I consider replacing them?)
2. Add mesh cover to reduce debris in the future

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
dlascoskie (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024 | 11:30 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

You could straighten the radiator fins, especially since you're doing the grilles.
Old 08-07-2024 | 12:30 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

I also have to do a first time front cover removal to clean up the radiators and to replace the low tone horn. You might check that and/or consider replacement.
Old 08-07-2024 | 12:31 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Low tone (lower) horn. Frunk release cable.

EDIT: posted a minute later after Hootsama - re: horn replacement. It would be so much easier with the bumper off, and the part costs about $40. There are many failures and my hand was pretty beat up when I did my .2 without removing. If you don't and it fails, you'll sound like a Clown Car at the worst possible moment.

Last edited by 997.2GTS; 08-07-2024 at 01:01 PM.
BillB128 (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024 | 02:56 PM
ridebuy
AutoX

Great suggestions on Fins, (lower) Horn and Frunk release cable.

Is there a best practice in straightening the fins or just a one-by-one methodology?
Old 08-07-2024 | 03:15 PM
dlascoskie
Advanced

Originally Posted by ridebuy
Great suggestions on Fins, (lower) Horn and Frunk release cable.

Is there a best practice in straightening the fins or just a one-by-one methodology?

Use a fin comb like this:
Amazon Amazon

or this
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by dlascoskie; 08-07-2024 at 03:17 PM.
tegraphile (08-08-2024)
Old 08-07-2024 | 07:43 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

If you're having trouble with HomeLink because you have a "rolling codes" opener, then replacing the HomeLink module is easier with the front bumper cover off (supposedly).

Last edited by jchapura; 08-07-2024 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2024 | 11:05 PM
Scb1712
Instructor

I might do this as well since I want to try to repair the license plate holes from the previous owner. Which grills are you using? They seem expensive for some small pieces of mesh.
Old 08-08-2024 | 09:10 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scb1712
I might do this as well since I want to try to repair the license plate holes from the previous owner. Which grills are you using? They seem expensive for some small pieces of mesh.
pretty easy diy if you don’t mind zip tie method

https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/p...SACEgL44vD_BwE
RGS (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024 | 10:00 AM
da Vinci Dan
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
Low tone (lower) horn. Frunk release cable.
What does this mean? I am not familiar with a repair for a low tone horn or frunk release cable.
Old 08-08-2024 | 10:19 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 201K miles

The lower horn fails shortly after new. It looks like you have a good one... save your money. I would inspect all coolant connections for signs of leakage. I would only do cleaning between the radiator and condenser, straightening the condenser fins, and would add Wayne's emergency cable release. You don't need to have the bumper off for the cable release, but you will have everything exposed so why not.

BTW, that "radiator" you see through the grill is an AC condenser not a radiator. To replace it, you need to evacuate and reload the AC system using a special machine. Further attachment of the condenser to hoses is specialty work.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 08-08-2024 | 12:01 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Take a look at our radiator and condenser protection here for the 997.1 and other Porsche water cooled models!
https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/p...ills-no-center

https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/product-page/porsche-997-1-911-side-intake-grills-no-center

Last edited by RGS; 08-08-2024 at 12:04 PM.
dlascoskie (08-15-2024)
Old 08-08-2024 | 02:59 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Here's a picture of when I replaced my AC condenser... sits just in front of radiators.

Also, if you use quickjacks, this is the wrong orientation... stickers towards the rear of the vehicle. IYKYK

Old 08-09-2024 | 12:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ridebuy
1. Clean radiators (should I consider replacing them?)
I replaced the radiator in my BMW 1er two years ago and the two radiators in the Boxster last year this time. Unless it is leaking I wouldn't. I got bad ones out of the box. I'm not sure if the Mahle made in S Africa was bad on the BMW because it wasn't shipped correctly. It replaced a 3 year old S African Mahle that was leaking at the seam. Learned the expensive way to fill it with water then pressure test. After 3 and close three or four weeks without the car I ordered a double row CSF all aluminum. That was packaged the way something should be packaged.

Rock sent me two Mahle S Africa for the Boxster. They put the two in one box which was good. One had punched through the box so it went back. Replacement was sent in just factory box. It punched through. Had them send a Nissens. Again just the factory box and it was punched through. I called FCP and told them I wouldnt bother accepting the package unless the box was in a box. It was dropped shipped from Nissens in TX wrapped in cardboard. So far so good. I also replaced the four hoses when I did the radiator. The genuine Porsche parts are only about $12 each on line. I dont want to ever have to replace anything by those radiators again in any Porsche.

I cant stress enough, If the box isn't perfect send it back, and before you add $60 worth of coolant add $6 worth of water and pressure test the system to make sure the new radiator is good. I can change the radiator in my 1er in my sleep now after doing it 3 times in a month.
Old 08-10-2024 | 12:20 AM
E39Nutz
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I replaced the radiator in my BMW 1er two years ago and the two radiators in the Boxster last year this time. Unless it is leaking I wouldn't. I got bad ones out of the box. I'm not sure if the Mahle made in S Africa was bad on the BMW because it wasn't shipped correctly. It replaced a 3 year old S African Mahle that was leaking at the seam. Learned the expensive way to fill it with water then pressure test. After 3 and close three or four weeks without the car I ordered a double row CSF all aluminum. That was packaged the way something should be packaged.

Rock sent me two Mahle S Africa for the Boxster. They put the two in one box which was good. One had punched through the box so it went back. Replacement was sent in just factory box. It punched through. Had them send a Nissens. Again just the factory box and it was punched through. I called FCP and told them I wouldnt bother accepting the package unless the box was in a box. It was dropped shipped from Nissens in TX wrapped in cardboard. So far so good. I also replaced the four hoses when I did the radiator. The genuine Porsche parts are only about $12 each on line. I dont want to ever have to replace anything by those radiators again in any Porsche.

I cant stress enough, If the box isn't perfect send it back, and before you add $60 worth of coolant add $6 worth of water and pressure test the system to make sure the new radiator is good. I can change the radiator in my 1er in my sleep now after doing it 3 times in a month.
This…. happened to me when I replaced the radiator of my E39. Picked up the radiator directly from dealership parts department. After all was done, the top overflow nipple leaks after a few drives. You just can’t predict based on the box shape. In my case, radiator came in factory box nice and shinely, even the box was in perfect shape. I had to buy a second one to replace and file claim with BMW to recoup the money from the 1st one. Nevertheless, I know all the parts guys by first name and they were nice enough to give me a few jugs of BMW coolants to compensate for the inconvenience. The second radiator was good and no leaks.

Quick Reply: While You are In There" Front Bumper Removal