Sponsored by:

Need a reference on wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 04:26 AM
DEDOPHINE
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a reference on wind noise

Hello everyone! I've been browsing this forum for a while, and I just decided to register and say hello to everyone!
I have a 2010 997.2, 2s. After repairing it for a while, there is still a problem that bothers me. The owner of the modification shop seems to be unable to give any suggestions.

The wind noise in the driver's seat is much higher than that in the passenger seat. It starts to occur at about 90km/h. However, at the same time, the passenger seat basically does not hear the wind noise. If I use my less experience to describe it, it sounds like The sound of the window not being closed (but actually being closed).
I couldn't make a close inspection while I was driving, the sound sounded more like it was coming from the rearview mirror (not sure), and the appearance of the driver's side car didn't seem to have a major problem.
Attached is a comparison of the appearance of both sides (I was trying to check their symmetry).

passenger side

driver side

I would like to ask if any of you have encountered similar situations? Or maybe this is normal? I've seen some other posts, but they seem to be talking about a more intense whistle, and mine is just pure wind noise.
Please provide suggestions, thank you! Have a nice day!
Old 07-01-2024, 08:11 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

The driver's side mirror on my 997.2 whistles a bit. I only notice it when the window is down though. I isolated the source to the seam between the upper and lower parts of the housing. If I temporarily cover that seam with tape, the sound disappears. I've been meaning to find a proper solution, but the noise doesn't bother me that much so I've let it be. You situation may be different if you can hear it with the windows shut.

Let us know if you find a source & solution.
The following users liked this post:
DEDOPHINE (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 11:45 PM
DEDOPHINE
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure where exactly "the seam between the upper and lower parts of the housing" you mentioned is, could you please provide a photo?

How did you investigate the source of the sound? Do you use tape to stick it in different locations?

Regarding the wind noise in my car with the windows closed, I'll try to record some video when it's safe to do so.

Thank you for your reply!!
Old 07-02-2024, 02:49 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 248 Posts

Look at the photo of your driver's mirror. You see the lower spar attaching it to the car? If you follow the top surface of that across the body of the mirror that's where the housing comes together. Sometimes that gap makes noise for people, you can put some painter's tape over it as a quick test.

I've got a 987.2 and I chased wind noise at speed for quite a while. What ended up fixing it was adjusting the door strikers inward a little: this closed the door tighter and better sealed the glass against the rubber window seal. 997 should be similar if this is the issue.

Basically just mark the door striker's current location with painter's tape (so you can put it back if you don't like the change). Then loosen the screws enough to move it, shift it in a little (like, a mm at a time) and retighten. Make sure the door latches/unlatches smoothly and the body lines are still okay and then test drive, see if that fixes it. No guarantees but it worked for me.

This thing: the striker on the body where the door latches. It's ajustable.

Last edited by MrMoose; 07-02-2024 at 02:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Need a reference on wind noise