Sponsored by:

Oil dilution by fuel, correcting it and fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 08:35 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Oil dilution by fuel, correcting it and fuel additives

Have cycled from +2% fuel dilution (not using Techron) to <1.0% (used Techron) then back to +2.0% (not using Techron). Working with a couple of experts in this area along with the data one of them is requesting to try and answer why fuel dilution is high. Car runs great, I just do not want cylinder wash down. I use top tier fuel, DI OW-40, 50k miles on the car, pure stock car, crankcase vacuum, RKAT, FRAU, FRAO, MAF kg-hr all normal.

The recommendation was to resume using a fuel additive with PEA (Techron) and continue to collect and forward data. That is the plan. Not new news on this forum. Highly recommended. I came across one of Lake Speed's presentation to a PCA group. Enjoyed it, learned a lot. I recall his saying that "99 times out of 100 that (PEA add) fixes it" time 12:46

In his presentation I noted the four products he brings up that contain PEA and I am sure there are more. Being the curious creature that I am, down the rabbit hole I went. I wanted to learn more and figure out what the good questions were. The best question I came up with was, "what is the range in grams of PEA per gallon of fuel I would be using in those four products?" So here are the results of my work. I am most comfortable with Techron since I have been using it since the early 1990s and will be using it. I think my math is mostly correct. Enjoy!

...and if that is not enough to put you to sleep, here is the section on the other ingredients

Techron Gumout Red Line Driven

Last edited by CAVU; 06-26-2024 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Correction to PEA range for Techron, other ingredient quantities. Added page listing other ingredients
The following users liked this post:
myltz400 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 08:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,599 Likes on 4,196 Posts

That's really interesting and great info as Redline is one of the only fuel system cleaners that's been shown to be super effective. It's the only one I buy and actually solved an injector issue on my daughter's DFI Audi Q5 where I was getting a cylinder 1 mixture imbalance code every 2 weeks. Ran a full bottle of the redline in half a tank and another full bottle in the next full tank and the code stayed away for 6 months. After that I decided to change the injectors while I was doing a crankcase vent assembly replacement since the car had 130k miles on it, but from every 2 weeks to not occuring again in 6 months is impressive. I do use the Driven Carb Dedender in the vintage Porsches and the 997s to combat the effects of ethanol and as a fuel stabilizer
Old 06-23-2024, 11:29 AM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you for posting this! Very interesting, supports the mindset of changing oil within factory specs (A40) and driving the car frequently= life is good. All car forums are full of rabbit holes, usually people with good intentions but just doing things because "some guy told me" or "my engine runs so much better". As a group I don't think we can help it.

BTW as I age and see the amount of experimentation within car groups and the complexity of modern motors it makes me very hesitant to buy cars from self proclaimed enthusiasts.
Old 06-23-2024, 01:37 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
...Redline... It's the only one I buy and actually solved an injector issue on my daughter's DFI Audi Q5 where I was getting a cylinder 1 mixture imbalance code every 2 weeks. Ran a full bottle of the redline in half a tank and another full bottle in the next full tank and the code stayed away for 6 months. ...r
It was interesting to see Redline with the highest resultant grams per gallon range for PEA. Double at the low side.

I "think" I had good results with the Techron I a few years ago dealing with a high fuel dilution in the oil. So I am going to give that a shot again and hopefully confirm a less than 1% fuel dilution.

Quick Reply: Oil dilution by fuel, correcting it and fuel additives