Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCM+ mic issues with 997.1. Can’t be heard when making calls.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 09:32 PM
dballesty
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PCCM+ mic issues with 997.1. Can’t be heard when making calls.

Hi there

First time poster and couldn’t find anything in the forums so am asking for help. I had a PCCM+ installed by our local dealer late last year, replacing an aftermarket m0bridge Bluetooth adapter in my 2005 997.1 cabriolet. Most people complain that they simply can’t hear me when I’m on calls using PCCM+. It’s bad when connected via Bluetooth but very bad when connected via USB for apple carplay (the main reason I spent $$$$ on the upgrade).

Has anyone experienced issues where the mic volume for calls is inaudible? The dealer is stumped and is recommending we re-site the mic to the top of the windscreen. I am concerned that there is a configuration setting or poor connection with the mic.

All help gratefully received

DB
Old 06-19-2024, 12:23 AM
Scb1712
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

You can get into the developer menu by selecting « Car » then « Set » then « System » then press and hold « Version info » for 15-20 seconds and it will open the menu. Once there you can find ways to adjust your mic.

That being said, I am struggling with this too, I installed my mic in the original factory location inside the steering column but the only sound it pics up very well is road noise. Most people can barely hear me if the car is moving and I have all my mic settings maxed. So if there are other solutions I’m open to them as well.
Old 06-19-2024, 02:01 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed the Mic up by the rearview mirror and seems to work great.
you also need to make sure you have external Mic selected instead of the internal one.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:52 PM
dballesty
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks @JasonKM

The mic is the Porsche one that they installed on top of the steering column, so it is external. This is in the same position as the installation in the Friends Green Porsche (UK) installation (
)

I even got in touch with the team at Friends Green and they have not had feedback of poor call quality and poor microphone volume.

The dealer is going to try re-site the mic to the rear view mirror to see if that’s better. Seems to be worse when connected via Apple CarPlay.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

DB
Old 06-20-2024, 02:26 PM
ben10281
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The thread linked below is what I used to help pump up my microphone sensitivity.

PCCM+ DIY Guide - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go to post #1, then go to the question "Q When calling, the microphone level is low"

You can adjust your microphone settings to make it more sensitive.
Old 06-20-2024, 05:45 PM
Scb1712
Instructor

I installed my external mic in the steering column like the original was using a 3D printed bracket which holds it in. And I’ve maxed all of the settings in the developer menu, but the mic volume is still brutal. It seems to be picking up the road noise just as much as my voice rather than filtering it out. I’ll play around with the settings but it would be helpful to know specifically what each of the adjustments actually does.
Old 06-20-2024, 10:25 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ben10281
The thread linked below is what I used to help pump up my microphone sensitivity.

PCCM+ DIY Guide - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go to post #1, then go to the question "Q When calling, the microphone level is low"

You can adjust your microphone settings to make it more sensitive.
which setting here are we supposed to change to up the mic?

Old 06-20-2024, 11:29 PM
ben10281
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the setting a that I set my 2007 C4S cabriolet to. Try setting them to this and then call someone and see if they can hear you. The settings suggested by the other post were a little too low for me so I just tweaked things with someone on the phone until
they could hear me.

The following users liked this post:
misterdega (06-22-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 12:04 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

What kind of phone do you have? I installed the PCCM+ a month ago in a Cayenne. Had terrible mic quality during phone calls. I have an iPhone. If you have an iPhone, check this setting. While your phone is connected to PCCM+, place a call. Then, while in an active call (through PCCM+), swipe down from the top right of the iPhone to reveal the control center. You will see an option for microphone mode (on the iPhone) that is only visible while in an active phone call. My phone defaulted to “Voice isolation,” which had the effect of double noise cancellation, the PCCM+ was doing noise cancellation and the iPhone was also doing noise cancellation.

Change the microphone mode to “normal” or “wide spectrum”. (I forget the choices, but it’ll make sense when you see it). For me this solved the problem, far better than messing with the settings on the hidden menu (which I also tried. Once you make this change on the iPhone, the setting seems to stick. Once and done.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:50 PM
Scb1712
Instructor

Hmmm - I’m noticing that these settings are for the BT Mic which I am assuming is Bluetooth. I’m also having the issue when connected to apple CarPlay (usb) so I’m wondering about mirroring the settings you have on the other mic setting (AA)
Old 06-22-2024, 12:00 AM
911andaspyder
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 13 Posts

I too have this issue when using CarPlay and Bluetooth. No matter what microphone I select external or internal people on the other end of the line say they cannot hear me. Hoping you guys know of a good fix.
Old 06-22-2024, 12:42 AM
ryanla997
Track Day

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 911andaspyder
I too have this issue when using CarPlay and Bluetooth. No matter what microphone I select external or internal people on the other end of the line say they cannot hear me. Hoping you guys know of a good fix.

I solved this issue by buying a wired to wireless CarPlay adapter from amazon. For some reason, doing this allowed my call volume to be normal. FYI, I use the external mic and it sits on the steering wheel column.

Quick Reply: PCCM+ mic issues with 997.1. Can’t be heard when making calls.