Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New To Me 997.1 Purchase Experience, Work So Far, and a Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 11:49 AM
TobyW
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Your car appears to be similar to mine - I've got manual sports seats, full leather, Xenon, and 19" wheels. No sunroof or PASM. You can get Bluetooth with the Mr12Volt module, but in your case it might require some coding to get the MOST loop activated.

I've got the iCarSoft CR Pro+ which I think has similar functionality to the POR version. I don't think it does coding, so if that's something that you want you should definitely go for the Durametric.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:36 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
"The larger more robust IMS Bearing was in the cars produced after approx May of 2005. Some 2006 cars were actually produced in 2005 so the engine chart is great tool."

The initial date could be as early as Feb 2005 I believe, but for sure March 2005 as that is what I confirmed with mine (build date 3/2005, visually confirmed larger bearing 2005 C2)

Note ,this not absolute but a general guideline. Check the listed affected engine numbers in the class action suit to be more certain short of visual inspection.
The only accurate way to determine IMS Bearing size is to use the engine chart:

Engine #’s For IMS Bearing Size:
The smaller IMS Bearing in the 3.8L “S” engines are in engine Serial#’s up to M97/01 68509790.
M97/01 68509791 forward have the larger more robust IMS Bearing.

For 3.6L “Base” engines, the engine serial#”s M96/05 69507476 and higher have the larger More robust IMS Bearing.

The following users liked this post:
demon_speeding (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 08:58 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by demon_speeding
IMS, clutch, and RMS were replaced 20k miles ago. My tech suspects it's the LN double row ceramic bearing system, but doesn't know for sure since we haven't pulled the trans. He suggested waiting to look at it until I need a new clutch. Hopefully it holds for a while 👍
I'm not sure, but if you actually have an LN double row ceramic bearing system, LN might be able to confirm the status via your VIN.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:09 AM
demon_speeding
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
I'm not sure, but if you actually have an LN double row ceramic bearing system, LN might be able to confirm the status via your VIN.
Pretty sure the owner/shop didn't register the bearing. I'm not particularly thrilled with that shop. They're insistant that the bearing, clutch, RMS and flywheel need to be replaced simply due to time, not miles. The parts were replaced in 2017, they are stating that they need to be replaced every 5 years, no matter the mileage. My independent, who's been a Porsche tech for well over 30 years says that's a ludicrous claim, particularly when the vehicle shows no signs of any of those items leaking or failing. The shop that did the IMS has a bit of a reputation for being extortionate and after dealing with them I'm tending to believe the rumors. I would not be surprised at all if the shop never entered the VIN info LN's system and simply told the owner to come back after 5 years and do it again.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:13 AM
demon_speeding
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
The only accurate way to determine IMS Bearing size is to use the engine chart:

Engine #’s For IMS Bearing Size:
The smaller IMS Bearing in the 3.8L “S” engines are in engine Serial#’s up to M97/01 68509790.
M97/01 68509791 forward have the larger more robust IMS Bearing.

For 3.6L “Base” engines, the engine serial#”s M96/05 69507476 and higher have the larger More robust IMS Bearing.
My engine serial is 69503225, so it was just before the larger bearing was put in, but my IMS was replaced in 2017, approximately 20k miles ago.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:14 AM
demon_speeding
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TobyW
Your car appears to be similar to mine - I've got manual sports seats, full leather, Xenon, and 19" wheels. No sunroof or PASM. You can get Bluetooth with the Mr12Volt module, but in your case it might require some coding to get the MOST loop activated.

I've got the iCarSoft CR Pro+ which I think has similar functionality to the POR version. I don't think it does coding, so if that's something that you want you should definitely go for the Durametric.
Thank you! I'm leaning towards the Mr12Volt and the Durametric, that seems like the most comprehensive option for a DIY'er.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:26 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Thank you! I'm leaning towards the Mr12Volt and the Durametric, that seems like the most comprehensive option for a DIY'er.
Im here for you when your ready

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 05-20-2024, 05:03 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Pretty sure the owner/shop didn't register the bearing. I'm not particularly thrilled with that shop. They're insistant that the bearing, clutch, RMS and flywheel need to be replaced simply due to time, not miles. The parts were replaced in 2017, they are stating that they need to be replaced every 5 years, no matter the mileage. My independent, who's been a Porsche tech for well over 30 years says that's a ludicrous claim, particularly when the vehicle shows no signs of any of those items leaking or failing. The shop that did the IMS has a bit of a reputation for being extortionate and after dealing with them I'm tending to believe the rumors. I would not be surprised at all if the shop never entered the VIN info LN's system and simply told the owner to come back after 5 years and do it again.
No Serial#?---->Something sounds fishy and it stinks
If the IMS Bearing was replaced in the earlier engine with smaller bearing(your engine), it requires splitting the case and would be a $18,000 job.
Taking into consideration your mention of the shops extortion reputation, I am putting large quantities of money on the bet that the IMS Bearing was NEVER changed and it's all BS

Last edited by groovzilla; 05-20-2024 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:40 PM
TobyW
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

The small single-row IMS bearing does not require splitting the crankcase, only the later larger one does.
The following 2 users liked this post by TobyW:
demon_speeding (05-20-2024), groovzilla (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 06:18 PM
demon_speeding
Rennlist Member

No Serial#?---->Something sounds fishy and it stinks
If the IMS Bearing was replaced in the earlier engine with smaller bearing(your engine), it requires splitting the case and would be a $18,000 job.
Taking into consideration your mention of the shops extortion reputation, I am putting large quantities of money on the bet that the IMS Bearing was NEVER changed and it's all BS
Extortionate, yes, but, and it's a big but, they do good work. They have a habit of trying to convince you that you need a lot of work that you don't need, at least in my opinion. Other folks have had good luck with them, I haven't. Personally, I think they did the bearing, they may have used a Porsche part, or an LN. I'm not sure. They're not going to share it with me because I wasn't the owner at the time and "it's irrelevant, it needs to be done again anyway", their words.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:40 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TobyW
The small single-row IMS bearing does not require splitting the crankcase, only the later larger one does.
My confusion
The New replacement IMS Bearing comes with the serial# sticker and usually stuck on inside of doorjam.
Or can be in owners manual - Have you checked everywhere for it?? It's a vital thing to have and proves the upgrade.
If you have name of previous owner who had the work done perhaps LN can research data base for info? Or name of shop
Old 05-20-2024, 06:47 PM
demon_speeding
Rennlist Member

My confusion
The New replacement IMS Bearing comes with the serial# sticker and usually stuck on inside of doorjam.
Or can be in owners manual - Have you checked everywhere for it?? It's a vital thing to have and proves the upgrade.
If you have name of previous owner who had the work done perhaps LN can research data base for info? Or name of shop
I have not, but thanks to your tip, I will. I'm installing a sprint booster this evening, I'll have a look then. Good call, and thank you!
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (05-20-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 01:19 AM
demon_speeding
Rennlist Member

@groovzilla Well, ya nailed it. The LN IMS retrofit information was in the owners manual. Thanks for the tip, I'm happy I was able to track down the details.
The following 2 users liked this post by demon_speeding:
elwademd (05-31-2024), groovzilla (05-21-2024)

Quick Reply: New To Me 997.1 Purchase Experience, Work So Far, and a Few Questions