Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liquid fuel leak check

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 06:45 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Just getting back for whatever lessons can be learned and carried forward from this ...

I passed smog today. I used my Foxwell NT809BT to clear all codes. I expected this to then require a one hundred mile drive cycle to fully state all codes were real world verified as fine. But ...

For whatever reason, the Foxwell doesn't do a pre smog test verification on Porsches. It does for other brands. But not Porsche.

So I used two other readers that would do this test and both said everything was ready, even without driving the car.

A while back I used one of these same readers on a friend's car to clear some codes and they stated cleared but pending. So I know this drive cycle is needed on Hondas. The same has been true on Fords and other makes as well in my experience. So is Porsche special (of course they are!!!)? Maybe that's why my more expensive Foxwell doesn't offer a smog test.

Anyway, back on topic ...

Either ...

1. The injector cleaner disturbed something, created a temporary leak in one of the injectors, and set the code due to the fuel rail losing pressure after the motor was turned off (assuming this is how the code is generated). I had driven a few tanks of gas since the cleaner so this also assumes that this code doesn't self clear (some codes like the air bags won't self clear).

2. This was just a random misread on the CANBus.

3. Something else is our was going on.

Anyway, I don't see much else to glean from this exercise. Again, thank you all for your support and ideas.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,855 Likes on 2,875 Posts

Great news Wayne!!
I couldn't stand Emissions testing. Spent years having my 911SC, 964 and 993's tested.
Day of Emissions testing was the same old thing---> W/911SC,964 & 1995 993, I'd drive to my Indy, he would de-tune the fuel mixture. Car ran like crap driving to Emissions, would pas test then drive back to Indy, have him boost the mixture and car ran great.
On my OB11 plug in 1996 993 C4 which started in year 1996, I would always make sure I drove the crap out of the car on way to Emissions and usually successful in passing. Lots of 993's had issues with clogged Air Passages and would fail - Top end rebuild necessary to fix.

Washington State got rid of Emissions several years ago.

Last edited by groovzilla; 04-15-2024 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:40 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

The trick with the sniffer tests was always to get the car overheated and then push for an immediate test!!!
Old 04-15-2024, 11:41 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 249 Posts

I suspect the issue is your original tech was either being overly cautious or didn't know what he was doing.

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The trick with the sniffer tests was always to get the car overheated and then push for an immediate test!!!
Unless my memory is completely going, here in CA they don't do the sniffer or roller test on cars post...I want to say 2000? They just plug into the computer and use the onboard OBD system and emissions monitors.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:04 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Cars with OBD II port (1996 and newer) don't get sniffed. They just have to pass a visual inspection and read no codes.

The error code was seen on the OBD II port and reported accordingly. Nothing to do with caution on the tech's part.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:18 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 249 Posts

I just confirmed, it's 2000-on, not 1996. Anyway, the requirement isn't no codes, it's no *active* codes and all OBD monitors in ready state. An old stored code but all OBD monitors passed and ready should not fail smog. So I don't know what to tell you.

It's odd that the Foxconn didn't kick all the monitors over to pending if you did a code clear and reset: that's supposed to automatically happen. When I've cleared codes on the 987.2 using Durametric or my other OBD2 reader I definitely had to do a drive cycle to get the monitors to ready state. So not sure what to tell you there either.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:42 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
I just confirmed, it's 2000-on, not 1996. Anyway, the requirement isn't no codes, it's no *active* codes and all OBD monitors in ready state. An old stored code but all OBD monitors passed and ready should not fail smog. So I don't know what to tell you.

It's odd that the Foxconn didn't kick all the monitors over to pending if you did a code clear and reset: that's supposed to automatically happen. When I've cleared codes on the 987.2 using Durametric or my other OBD2 reader I definitely had to do a drive cycle to get the monitors to ready state. So not sure what to tell you there either.
1996 is where I've been told the sniffer test ended for cars like the 997. Either way, doesn't matter for this conversation. The attached photo indicates there was a roll in period over a number of years for different vehicles.

I think we're saying the same thing on the codes. Sorry that I wasn't clearer.

Yeah, the Foxwell clear codes command actually does put other cars with a CEL in a pending status until after a drive cycle. But not the 997.2 for some reason. Maybe on the 997 it only resets codes that have failed and in my case the code that was reset did not need to go to a pending status (it wasn't a CEL code). As Bruce would say ... dunno (for those counting, that's the second time this week I've stolen this quote).
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2024, 10:57 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 197K miles

As I understood it, in Pennsylvania, you can have a thrown code and pass if it is a maker-only code such as a burnt out trunk light or power seat failure. The codes they care about are the original/core set of codes defined by regulation and related to environmental systems only. Then there is the visual inspection of wipers, turn signals, et al.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-16-2024 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Yep. Same here.

Quick Reply: Liquid fuel leak check