Headlights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 11:48 AM
C4SDream
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlights Not Working

2009 C2
Last night we went for a drive and once the sun started to set I noticed none of the interior lights came on and then once I got behind a car I could see that my main lights were not on, only the fog lights. I messed around with the selecter and the only way I can get the exterior lights and the interior lights to turn on is to turn the brights on. I just pulled the fuse panel looked at all the fuses nothing looks loose or broken, mine still has the booklet and there was nothing specific about headlights in it. Going to pull the battery cable and let the car sit for a little bit and then try again hoping it's some weird electric gremlin after my battery died last week, but I am a little stumped, where should I start looking?

Damn thing is turning into a death by papercuts situation, tons of little problems keep popping up.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-11-2024, 11:51 AM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 83 Posts

Do you know how to remove your headlights?

Pull them out and get some contact cleaner. Do you have Xenon, Halogen or the dual lens?

The following users liked this post:
C4SDream (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 12:10 PM
C4SDream
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CarreraAlex
Do you know how to remove your headlights?

Pull them out and get some contact cleaner. Do you have Xenon, Halogen or the dual lens?
Yeah, there is a tool via the kit in the frunk stick it in the hole turn and the assembly pulls out, disconnect the harness, Correct?
Anything I should be looking for when they are out?

I am pretty sure they are Xenon
Old 04-11-2024, 02:56 PM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Exactly re/removal.

I'd clean the connector to the light itself with electric contact cleaner like:

CRC QD 02130 Contact Cleaner

You're not throwing any codes? that's particularly weird for both lights not to work simultaneously. Try testing it while it's parked and looking.

Some things with xenons:
There's a "brain" that charges the bulbs, so those can be malfunctioning if the bulb is fine but unlikely for both of them. Big unit inside the casing
The "brights" are a fill bulb that's halogen I believe, so makes sense that this works but your headlights dont...
They autolevel and I have experienced that malfunctioning for either the gears themselves in the headlights burning out, or the leveler on your suspension snapping. This would look like from the driver POV that they're not on, when in reality they're pointing "Down".

Originally Posted by C4SDream
Yeah, there is a tool via the kit in the frunk stick it in the hole turn and the assembly pulls out, disconnect the harness, Correct?
Anything I should be looking for when they are out?

I am pretty sure they are Xenon
C4SDream (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 03:30 PM
C4SDream
Intermediate

Exactly re/removal.

I'd clean the connector to the light itself with electric contact cleaner like:

CRC QD 02130 Contact Cleaner

You're not throwing any codes? that's particularly weird for both lights not to work simultaneously. Try testing it while it's parked and looking.

Some things with xenons:
There's a "brain" that charges the bulbs, so those can be malfunctioning if the bulb is fine but unlikely for both of them. Big unit inside the casing
The "brights" are a fill bulb that's halogen I believe, so makes sense that this works but your headlights dont...
They autolevel and I have experienced that malfunctioning for either the gears themselves in the headlights burning out, or the leveler on your suspension snapping. This would look like from the driver POV that they're not on, when in reality they're pointing "Down".
There is nothing on the dash, I don't have a scanner that works on this car might be time to buy one but no faults I can see. Could run to autozone or something and see if they can scan it real quick.
Could it be the switch? I find it weird the inside lights are not working either unless the high beams are on.
I did recently lower the car, maybe the headlight leveler got smacked but I would assume that would only affect the one that is broken.
No change after cleaning ( cleaned the socket on the headlight and the connection on the car ) Also no change after battery was disconnected.
Is there anyway to test the "brain" in the Xenon headlight?

I rarely ever drive at night so I have no idea how long its been like this. Last night I drove at night was when I bought the car.

This image is of the headlight when the car is running in the home position,

Old 04-11-2024, 04:48 PM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

I really think you'd throw a code if the unit wasn't working...You could grab a multimeter and pull the bulb and check if it's getting power (use gloves)!! If you pull the bulb and it does throw a code at least you know it's somewhere between your headlight and your switch. Can also easily pull out your switch and test the wires with a multimeter - there's plenty of writeups of people retrofitting auto headlight switches that have the pinout.

Lowering the car can definitely effect the auto leveling but not sure why they'd be completely off from my knowledge. Do you hear them engaging when you turn them on? (sounds like a small motor moving). That's the sound of the leveler.
C4SDream (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 06:43 PM
C4SDream
Intermediate

I really think you'd throw a code if the unit wasn't working...You could grab a multimeter and pull the bulb and check if it's getting power (use gloves)!! If you pull the bulb and it does throw a code at least you know it's somewhere between your headlight and your switch. Can also easily pull out your switch and test the wires with a multimeter - there's plenty of writeups of people retrofitting auto headlight switches that have the pinout.

Lowering the car can definitely effect the auto leveling but not sure why they'd be completely off from my knowledge. Do you hear them engaging when you turn them on? (sounds like a small motor moving). That's the sound of the leveler.
I agree I had a faulty turn signal bulb the other day and the dash was all sorts of lit up, filament was broken on the bulb.
I can hear the motors moving when the car ignition is switched on.

Here is a video of the lights

https://streamable.com/layciv
Old 04-11-2024, 06:44 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Home does not light the lamps... turn fully to the right.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
C4SDream (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 07:22 PM
C4SDream
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Home does not light the lamps... turn fully to the right.

Peace
in the home location the bulbs should at least come in during night right? Or am I wrong about how everything works and nothing is broken lol
Old 04-11-2024, 07:33 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

in the home location the bulbs should at least come in during night right? Or am I wrong about how everything works and nothing is broken lol
My manual is a bit ambiguous.... the Home function varies by country and something is different in Canada (no kidding eh?). Anywho, just flip the switch to full right and see if they go on. Make sure the car is on and running.

Peace
C4SDream (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 11:04 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
My manual is a bit ambiguous.... the Home function varies by country and something is different in Canada (no kidding eh?). Anywho, just flip the switch to full right and see if they go on. Make sure the car is on and running.

Peace
Yup,what Bruce said,if you have 997.2, the headlights do NOT come on in the HOME position. You must go one click to the right to the ON position.
C4SDream (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 07:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Porsches have always had separate left and right headlight fuses and relays. For both to not be working, it's something common to both. If the battery disconnect that resets the lighting control module doesn't fix it, my bet is the headlight switch itself which is super easy to remove and inspect or replace.
C4SDream (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 07:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

No, only the fog lights come on in home. 997s don't have automatic headlights unless you buy the module from @Hatzenbach
C4SDream (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:27 AM
C4SDream
Intermediate

Geez, well then if you have to turn the switch all the way to the right for the normal lights to come on then it works.
Bit embarrassing, guess I need to drive more at night lol.

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 234 Posts

Geez, well then if you have to turn the switch all the way to the right for the normal lights to come on then it works.
Bit embarrassing, guess I need to drive more at night lol.

Thanks for the help everyone
Hey if you want your headlights to come on by themselves at night, I got the solution for you
jbkusa (04-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Headlights Not Working