Sponsored by:

BC racing coilover clunk on 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 07:17 PM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Received 349 Likes on 169 Posts
Default BC racing coilover clunk on 997.2

So after I had this aligned and the Indy shop inspected all the suspension I still have this annoying soft front end clunk when I hit low speed bumps etc… I haven’t taken it apart yet as I’m waiting for new struts/bearings from BC which take to long… but they are under warranty.. anyway, I’m not saying the strut isn’t bad, anyone have this happen and what was the remedy? It just doesn’t seem bad to me.. the indy shop removed all the preload, which was wrong, so I reset the preload but when I grab the spring I can move it and it clunks… this is where I’m having a hard time with a bad strut.
also I can move the spring by hand with wheel jacked up, with the tire on the ground would the weight omit that movement??

anyone??

Last edited by GT3twenty10; 04-06-2024 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Are you running monoball or stock top mounts? Monoball top mounts make some noise.

An unloaded spring (wheel off the ground) may be movable. It's why the Bilsteins have that plastic coil at the bottom to keep things aligned when the car is jacked up or the spring could drop out of position. Once on the ground it completely compresses and the metal spring supports the load.

Do you have adjustable drop links for your sway bar to keep the bar geometry right and eliminate the preload? If not and you've lowered the car, you need those. If you have them, check that the bolts on them are tight.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:41 AM
GT3twenty10
Pro

All the bolts are tight and marked.the drop links are stock. The Indy took off all the preload but BC requires about 4-5mm, which I corrected.
I can tug on the spring raised and get the movement where spring seats on top. I have camber plates… all tight tho. The seats below is what the top sits on… just another feature that the other brands exceed on BC’s… BC’s are great if there not having issues…however it’s clear to me I bought the wrong brand

Last edited by GT3twenty10; 04-07-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, I'm asking if the BCs have something like this to keep everything aligned when unloaded. They don't do anything but keep the spring from falling out of position when unloaded.

Take a pic of your sway bar when the car is sitting on the ground. I don't think there is any way to have the sway bar in the proper orientation with no preload on the bar using the factory drop links. The ends have to be parallel to the ground to work optimally.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:34 AM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Not really… does yours still turn by hand with that piece your talking about? My issues are front, but dang your looks real setup

I won’t know what the real issue is until all the warranty parts get here… I was just wondering if any BC guys have had this going on… thanks for chiming in tho…

Last edited by GT3twenty10; 04-07-2024 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3twenty10

Not really… does yours still turn by hand with that piece your talking about? My issues are front, but dang your looks real setup

I won’t know what the real issue is until all the warranty parts get here… I was just wondering if any BC guys have had this going on… thanks for chiming in tho…
No, mine won't turn by hand because the top end of the coil goes into a captive hat that has a stop for that end so it seats int the top hat. That actually creates a different issue though where steering causes the spring to want to twist and it can't so it tends to bind and pop and make noise. That's solved by adding theist bearings between the main spring seat and the spring which allows the bottom of the spring to rotate a little bit when it needs to.

What are the black covers wrapped around the spring coils for?

Old 04-07-2024, 11:41 AM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
No, mine won't turn by hand because the top end of the coil goes into a captive hat that has a stop for that end so it seats int the top hat. That actually creates a different issue though where steering causes the spring to want to twist and it can't so it tends to bind and pop and make noise. That's solved by adding theist bearings between the main spring seat and the spring which allows the bottom of the spring to rotate a little bit when it needs to.

What are the black covers wrapped around the spring coils for?
those are probably just dust covers or something. They don’t interfere with any mounting point.. there just along for the ride… I see what your saying about how yours mount vs mine…. I’m just having a hard time believing these struts are bad already. Suspension rattles (if that’s what it is) can be so hard to track down. Video below. This was with no preload, I fixed it to spec and if I pull hard on it, I can still get it to make that noise… seems odd
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7713.mov (16.36 MB, 19 views)

Last edited by GT3twenty10; 04-07-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:56 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 66 Posts

Most likely your top hats bearing. Mine are doing the same. It is metal-to-metal contact. You can see if you can change you tops to rubber bushing mounts.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:13 PM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Originally Posted by rsalicrup
Most likely your top hats bearing. Mine are doing the same. It is metal-to-metal contact. You can see if you can change you tops to rubber bushing mounts.
Aren’t these BC bearing exposed and doesn’t have a rubber “sealed bearing retainer? Do they offer what you’re describing? If not lmk what your plan on doing… I’ve never thought it was a strut, then again I don’t have the new struts or bearing from them.. they slow!!
Old 04-07-2024, 03:02 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Aren’t these BC bearing exposed and doesn’t have a rubber “sealed bearing retainer? Do they offer what you’re describing? If not lmk what your plan on doing… I’ve never thought it was a strut, then again I don’t have the new struts or bearing from them.. they slow!!
I’m actually going to change my coilovers. I have Border Racing coilovers which essentially are rebranded BC. I find them too soft for my taste. Feal suspension is also the same. You can contact them and see if they have rubber bushing top hats or order their bearings replacements at $50 each. https://fealsuspensionstore.com/sphe...ing-and-plate/

Other choice is what I’m doing. I like Elephant Racing top hats which is what I plan on using on my new coilovers. They are easier to adjust because it is the same as OEM method, their bearings are sealed and they also have replacements. While my coilovers are being assembled, I was told to use teflon grease on the top hat bearings to minimize clinking.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:08 PM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Originally Posted by rsalicrup
I’m actually going to change my coilovers. I have Border Racing coilovers which essentially are rebranded BC. I find them too soft for my taste. Feal suspension is also the same. You can contact them and see if they have rubber bushing top hats or order their bearings replacements at $50 each. https://fealsuspensionstore.com/sphe...ing-and-plate/

Other choice is what I’m doing. I like Elephant Racing top hats which is what I plan on using on my new coilovers. They are easier to adjust because it is the same as OEM method, their bearings are sealed and they also have replacements. While my coilovers are being assembled, I was told to use teflon grease on the top hat bearings to minimize clinking.
i was using white lithium grease and trying to shove it in there just to see if things quieted down and it did a little which makes me think your on the right track…
so that Feal plate/bearing will fit directly on BC’s?

I run my clicks 8F 10R. I like it semi soft. I would like to get swifts again too… best 400 I ever spent

Old 04-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

I've had this happen on my BC's. You just need to adjust the preload until you can't move the spring with your hand when jacked up. It shouldn't be much tighter than that, but it shouldn't be loose like that - which causes noises.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:12 PM
NoWeakSpecs
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The rubber spring seat will definitely help.
Maybe try a bit more preload too.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:14 PM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Originally Posted by Sylverlee
I've had this happen on my BC's. You just need to adjust the preload until you can't move the spring with your hand when jacked up. It shouldn't be much tighter than that, but it shouldn't be loose like that - which causes noises.
In that video that was the way the Indy shop adjusted the no preload… I get back home and that side was 1/4” lower than the other so I took off the wheel and “clunk clunk”… I did give it preload, about 5mm and I can still make it clunk by hand but I have to pull hard on it… so when the wheel is on the ground, you think that weight still gets off setted by a bump it’s enough to clunk? More preload??

roger that on preload^

Last edited by GT3twenty10; 04-07-2024 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:19 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

i was using white lithium grease and trying to shove it in there just to see if things quieted down and it did a little which makes me think your on the right track…
so that Feal plate/bearing will fit directly on BC’s?

I run my clicks 8F 10R. I like it semi soft. I would like to get swifts again too… best 400 I ever spent
From what I have been told (by multiple suspensions manufacturers/builders) and read, BC, Border, Feal and some of those, are all the same manufacturer out of Taiwan. I know Border offers different top hats options for 997 but finding someone to get them is the hard part but it makes me believe that BC could source them as well. Best way to test your bearing on the top hats is to see how stiff they are when you move your top hats around. The issue is that it will throw your alignment off

I have mine maxed out of stiffness and still too soft. I have installed stiffer Swift springs and it helped but not enough. Front is perfect but the rear is where the issue is for me. They were designed for a C4 and guessing the turbos have more weight in the rear plus additional down force at speeds.

Last edited by rsalicrup; 04-07-2024 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: BC racing coilover clunk on 997.2