Sponsored by:

sunroof stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 09:26 PM
febrero06
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sunroof stopped working

I have a 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe and the sunroof used to work well but now it only lift up open but it would not slide down to open completely.
Pressing the A bottom it doesn't do anything.
Press the B bottom and it lift up, if I press the B position again it will close down..
Press the C (center position) position and it will lift open and stop. If press the A it will close.
I opened up the control panel and I can see the motor turning to lift open and closed the sunroof, so the motor seems to work.
By pressing the A position of the bottom should open the sunroof completely but it doesn't do anything.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Does the motor have a board inside?
Thank you in advance for your advice,
Old 04-01-2024, 10:59 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,849 Likes on 2,873 Posts

First try resetting the sunroof memory by following directions in Owners Manual.
If that doesn't fix the problem, It's either the Sunroof Switch or the Sunroof Motor

Old 04-03-2024, 06:14 PM
febrero06
4th Gear

groovzilla thank you for your reply. I did check today and was able to confirm the switch was faulty. The motor is fine. I remove 3 screws size T20 and open the small gear box attached to motor, removed a large gear connected to warn screw and by using the wrench attached to cover I was able to manually open the sunroof, later I connected power to the switch and I was able to close sunroof without problem but I could not open the sunroof using the switch, so I determined that the switch was faulty and ordered from Pelican Part #997-613-147-01 A05 OEM Thank you for your reply.
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 07:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,849 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Originally Posted by febrero06
groovzilla thank you for your reply. I did check today and was able to confirm the switch was faulty. The motor is fine. I remove 3 screws size T20 and open the small gear box attached to motor, removed a large gear connected to warn screw and by using the wrench attached to cover I was able to manually open the sunroof, later I connected power to the switch and I was able to close sunroof without problem but I could not open the sunroof using the switch, so I determined that the switch was faulty and ordered from Pelican Part #997-613-147-01 A05 OEM Thank you for your reply.
Glad it worked out. Sunroof switch or motor very common problem on the 996 & 997. Was bad switch on a past 996 C4S and a bad motor on a past 997 C4S.

Last edited by groovzilla; 04-03-2024 at 07:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 09:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 197K

I predict it is not the switch but the motor/electronics assembly. I never known the switch to be at fault.

When you get your new switch, perform the calibration dance, then use it every day for a week... then report back.

Switches are super easy to test with a multimeter and if you don't have one, a few paper clips, tape, a battery, and a light bulb will work fine.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-03-2024 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:08 PM
febrero06
4th Gear

Default Checking Sunroof Switch

Bruce I did check the switch with ohmmeter and noticed that there is continuity to close the sunroof by pressing position B on the switch but no continuity to open the sunroof or position A in the switch. I did open the sunroof manually with the wrench and later by pressing position B the motor was able to close the sunroof. I'm expecting to receive new switch next Tuesday and once I install it and try it for a week I will report back. I was happy to see that the motor was working fine, which I suspected because the motor would lift the sunroof with position C on the switch and I would close it with position B so the motor was working but the position A wouldn't trigger the motor to open the sunroof. Thank you for your comment.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:07 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

I hope it works out for you, a new motor is stupid expensive nowadays.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Quick Reply: sunroof stopped working